Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo Springs or Air Bags

THC1

Reaction score
Hello: I have a 2500 Gasser Laramie crew 4x4 arriving next week (finally). I have Thuren 2" leveling springs and fox shocks waiting. This should make the truck level which is what I want but I do tow an 8500lb TT so I'm concerned about squat. This is my first 2500 as I currently tow with a 6.2L HD 1/2 GMC which has a 2" lift/level on it and the Timbren shock helpers. It tows level enough but those things are rough unloaded. I'm hearing the Sumo are softer and not noticeable unloaded but I have no experience with those. I was also told the helpers are supposed to be installed for towing and removed when not towing. WHAT? I'm not climbing under there and doing that every time I get a wild hair and want to run off camping for the weekend. Suggestions?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If you’re concerned about squat, leave the level kit in the box and leave the truck alone.

2” level will put the truck right at level or maybe even nose high without a load. My gas truck only has 1.75” of rake and I have a kit 300 extra lbs hanging off the front of it.

the truck has rake built in so you can load it down.

THC1

Reaction score
If you’re concerned about squat, leave the level kit in the box and leave the truck alone.

2” level will put the truck right at level or maybe even nose high without a load. My gas truck only has 1.75” of rake and I have a kit 300 extra lbs hanging off the front of it.

the truck has rake built in so you can load it down.
I understand factory rake, I just don't like it.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Since it seems that every individual unit has a different amount of rake when they arrive (mine was 2.65" before I threw on the Thuren kit), trying to outguess it before it arrives is going to be difficult.

That said, if you can't wait to get the truck and load up the trailer to see what it truly does, my vote would be the bags. The Sumo springs are only going to start working once you're really loaded down (likely already squatting at that point). With the bags, you have the control of when you want them to take over.

THC1

Reaction score
Since it seems that every individual unit has a different amount of rake when they arrive (mine was 2.65" before I threw on the Thuren kit), trying to outguess it before it arrives is going to be difficult.

That said, if you can't wait to get the truck and load up the trailer to see what it truly does, my vote would be the bags. The Sumo springs are only going to start working once you're really loaded down (likely already squatting at that point). With the bags, you have the control of when you want them to take over.
Thanks.......I'm certainly leaning that direction but do intend to wait. I'm just trying to get a solid plan in place because we have our first camping trip planned for May 22 and I would like to have everything in order. Current plan is to install 2" Thuren kit and see where the truck lands. I will hook up the camper with the weight distribution hitch and see what happens. If she squats more than I'm willing to live with (assume it will), I'll have my direction in place with parts in my cart.

anderson0172

Reaction score
Hello: I have a 2500 Gasser Laramie crew 4x4 arriving next week (finally). I have Thuren 2" leveling springs and fox shocks waiting. This should make the truck level which is what I want but I do tow an 8500lb TT so I'm concerned about squat. This is my first 2500 as I currently tow with a 6.2L HD 1/2 GMC which has a 2" lift/level on it and the Timbren shock helpers. It tows level enough but those things are rough unloaded. I'm hearing the Sumo are softer and not noticeable unloaded but I have no experience with those. I was also told the helpers are supposed to be installed for towing and removed when not towing. WHAT? I'm not climbing under there and doing that every time I get a wild hair and want to run off camping for the weekend. Suggestions?
So I have the exact setup you will be using, a 2020 2500 4x4 Hemi and I installed Thuren 2" coils with Fox shocks all the way around. I also installed Timber Grove airbags and am glad I did. I tow a 9k lb camper and squat is bad without airing up the bags, I highly suggest airbags for you.

THC1

Reaction score
So I have the exact setup you will be using, a 2020 2500 4x4 Hemi and I installed Thuren 2" coils with Fox shocks all the way around. I also installed Timber Grove airbags and am glad I did. I tow a 9k lb camper and squat is bad without airing up the bags, I highly suggest airbags for you.
Cool, you didn't install an onboard compressor did you? Just air those up individually at tow time. Do you run about 5 lbs of air unloaded and how does it ride?

anderson0172

Reaction score
Cool, you didn't install an onboard compressor did you? Just air those up individually at tow time. Do you run about 5 lbs of air unloaded and how does it ride?
I do not have a compressor, I do it manually. The Timber Groves have a single air fill so it's very easy, one valve and that's all. I run 2-3 psi unloaded and don't notice them at that pressure. My towing pressure varies with what trailer I have on the back but with my TT I run 60 psi.

THC1

Reaction score
I do not have a compressor, I do it manually. The Timber Groves have a single air fill so it's very easy, one valve and that's all. I run 2-3 psi unloaded and don't notice them at that pressure. My towing pressure varies with what trailer I have on the back but with my TT I run 60 psi.
Great info, thanks again!

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I highly recommend. Not running with a single fill. If you go with airbags. It makes the side to side rocking worse as pushes air from one bag to another. Run two air valves and will be a lot nicer ride

THC1

Reaction score
One more question: Why Timber Grove v. air lift 5000? Timber is 480 delivered whereas the air lift can be delivered with a T valve for simultaneously fill/deflate but 350.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I highly recommend. Not running with a single fill. If you go with airbags. It makes the side to side rocking worse as pushes air from one bag to another. Run two air valves and will be a lot nicer ride
Maybe there is something with these Timber Groves that prevents that? This is how they are sold and the owner is very knowledgeable.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have Timber Groves with one valve on my 2016 1500 Eco and it does not rock side to side. Have had it in all kinds of loaded, situations, pulling trailers and off-roading. Never a hint of side to side rocking or any symptoms of pushing air from one bag to another. I could understand it being a problem if loaded with a high, heavy, long (extending past the bed) in bed camper. But IMO that kind of load has no business being on a 1500.

anderson0172

Reaction score
One more question: Why Timber Grove v. air lift 5000? Timber is 480 delivered whereas the air lift can be delivered with a T valve for simultaneously fill/deflate but 350.
I do not like the mount system of the Air Lift, I much prefer the mounting of the Timber Groves, much higher quality.

THC1

Reaction score
Maybe there is something with these Timber Groves that prevents that? This is how they are sold and the owner is very knowledgeable.
I spoke with owner in depth and then researched. Basically single nozzle is fine for front to back level applications and separate only required for uneven loads. Turning corners has minimal effect and that’s where the sway bar comes in.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I have Timber Groves with one valve on my 2016 1500 Eco and it does not rock side to side. Have had it in all kinds of loaded, situations, pulling trailers and off-roading. Never a hint of side to side rocking or any symptoms of pushing air from one bag to another. I could understand it being a problem if loaded with a high, heavy, long (extending past the bed) in bed camper. But IMO that kind of load has no business being on a 1500.
Aren't we talking about a 2500 though? That will have heavy loads?

Maybe there is something different. About timber groves. I've never used them. They look high quality.

I just know that on my personal and all our work fleet. The single path was swapped out for dual cause of the sway back and forth. But we're also running heavy payload and towing excavators and such.

THC1

Reaction score
Aren't we talking about a 2500 though? That will have heavy loads?

Maybe there is something different. About timber groves. I've never used them. They look high quality.

I just know that on my personal and all our work fleet. The single path was swapped out for dual cause of the sway back and forth. But we're also running heavy payload and towing excavators and such.
Yes 2500 but i have one scenario and that’s an 8500 lb TT so only looking to remove squat. I’m sure either setup would work fine. I am on the fence regarding Timber’s simply due to cost...100 more that air lift which also has good reviews.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Yes 2500 but i have one scenario and that’s an 8500 lb TT so only looking to remove squat. I’m sure either setup would work fine. I am on the fence regarding Timber’s simply due to cost...100 more that air lift which also has good reviews.

I have had timberens on my last 2 trucks and now my 2500. Previous were leaf springs and loved the timbers.

On this 2500 it really harshened up the ride. I suspect the coils travel farther due to being softer initially and the timbers are making contact. It's a little jarring. You can trim the timbers to prevent this. But I'm leveled and have the perfect amount of squat towing so I don't want too. I am thinking of switching to bags. Truck rode great before.

Just a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread