Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions: ashesive to stick my ball

southern_yank

Reaction score
So yeah, my ball keeps falling off. I've tried every 3M double sided tape I can get my hands on. Most only stay stuck for about 3 days at most. The factory installed tape held the longest at 5 days.

For reference I'm referring to the nite-ize steelie ball mount for my radio mic.
I've cleaned the area with everything from 70% rubbing alcohol to the good flammable brake parts cleaner. I cannot get the surface any cleaner.

Short of drilling a hole, what can yall recommend for an adhesive? Getting fed up with this ball dropping all the time.
20230817_155844.jpg20230817_155855.jpg

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I've never had luck with anything like that sticking upside down, but I've always attributed it to the brutality of the sun. That said, if it were me, I would think about fabricating a small metal bracket that bends up and into the area below the vent just up from where you have it held. I assume the adhesive would stand a better chance to stick to flat metal than the textured plastic.

southern_yank

Reaction score
I've never had luck with anything like that sticking upside down, but I've always attributed it to the brutality of the sun. That said, if it were me, I would think about fabricating a small metal bracket that bends up and into the area below the vent just up from where you have it held. I assume the adhesive would stand a better chance to stick to flat metal than the textured plastic.
That's the way I'm leaning towards. My schedule is a bit hectic lately and don't have a ton of time to dedicate to this. Hoping for an off the shelf option.

But as it goes with this type of stuff, sometimes you have to create the solution to put on the shelf first!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Most adhesives don't stick well to textured surfaces. Making a bracket is the best solution.

jsalbre

Reaction score
You’ve used the red 3M VHB? That stuff will hold pretty much anything together, though it’s likely to either leave residue or peel the finish off of whatever you stick it to if you try to remove it.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Try the 3M bonding agent/adhesive used for the Bedrug to prep the surface if your bed has Linex or something similar . I forgot which version it is, most parts stores don’t carry it, s**t is sticky.

EDIT, Found it: 3M 4298 Adhesion Promototer

Attachments

• IMG_2581.png
    IMG_2581.png
    631.9 KB · Views: 6

UglyViking

Reaction score
As others have said, fabbing a mount is going to be the best bet both in terms of long term durability, as well as being able to remove it.

That said, 3M makes a VHB tape that will 100% make that stick, but also gonna prob wreck the finish if you ever try and remove it.

You need something with "foam" between the mount so that the peaks/valleys are all getting contact with the adhesive.

southern_yank

Reaction score
As others have said, fabbing a mount is going to be the best bet both in terms of long term durability, as well as being able to remove it.

That said, 3M makes a VHB tape that will 100% make that stick, but also gonna prob wreck the finish if you ever try and remove it.

You need something with "foam" between the mount so that the peaks/valleys are all getting contact with the adhesive.
The foam is a definite must with the textured surface. The mount thing is starting to look more and more like a need to do this now project.

You’ve used the red 3M VHB? That stuff will hold pretty much anything together, though it’s likely to either leave residue or peel the finish off of whatever you stick it to if you try to remove it.
I believe that is the latest tape I've used for this. Not sure if I still have the package to confirm.

Oh, that ball!
Yea, the "other" ball has no problem sticking , I live in the south :rolleyes:

Try the 3M bonding agent/adhesive used for the Bedrug to prep the surface if your bed has Linex or something similar . I forgot which version it is, most parts stores don’t carry it, s**t is sticky.

EDIT, Found it: 3M 4298 Adhesion Promototer

I'll look into this. working on an amazon order right now. My amazon driver knows be by first name now. Not sure how I should feel about that.

southern_yank

Reaction score
Had to run to Walmart this morning for dog food. Apparently 6am is the time to go, not but 10 people in the while store. I almost enjoyed my shopping trip!

Anyways... find another take to try out. Not holding my breath, but worth a shot. If you can't tell I'm avoiding the bracket thing like the plague. Lmao20230818_075212.jpg20230818_075203.jpg

UglyViking

Reaction score
If that doesn't work, and assuming the 3M tape you tried was the red VHB stuff, then I've got one last thought. Gorilla glue makes a double sided "foam" tape that is prob worth a shot. (link) Recently was listening to a podcast where a guy used the standard duct tape from gorilla glue to patch a hole in a tire. Held air pressure all the way on the trail till he could get to town and get a new tire. Absolutely insane.

John Jensen

Reaction score
If all your attempts fail try mixing baking soda into super glue. Gives super glue texture, faster set time, and a stronger bond.
I've used it with great success on a variety of difficult bondings. Also works great as a filler in worn out screw holes in wood, just fill the hole with baking soda and add the super glue

Last edited:

southern_yank

Reaction score
If that doesn't work, and assuming the 3M tape you tried was the red VHB stuff, then I've got one last thought. Gorilla glue makes a double sided "foam" tape that is prob worth a shot. (link) Recently was listening to a podcast where a guy used the standard duct tape from gorilla glue to patch a hole in a tire. Held air pressure all the way on the trail till he could get to town and get a new tire. Absolutely insane.
That would have been a site to see on that tire repair.

I just put the ball back with this new tape. Starting the timer now...

southern_yank

Reaction score
That would have been a site to see on that tire repair.

I just put the ball back with this new tape. Starting the timer now...
Well, it got hot today and my ball dropped...

Less than 24 hours on the T Rex tape. So close to drilling a 1/4" hole on bolting this thing through the dash.

Got some wiring to work on today and tomorrow. Guess I might have to take some time and make a small bracket to mount behind the bezel somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I've used a Proclip mount like this on my 2008 RAM and will order one for my '24 arriving in a couple weeks. They fit over the OEM dash panel and will hold a lot of weight.

I don't mean to discount your adhesive concept, I've just been unsuccessful long term with glue/adhesive so many, many times.

Good luck finding a solution!

1697154401245.png

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I've had good luck with E6000 adhesive. Would be permanent though.

southern_yank

Reaction score
I've had good luck with E6000 adhesive. Would be permanent though.
E6000 would probably do it! But like you said permanent.

Proclip looks great, but it is too high up for where I need to mount.

I just need to get the time to fab something. Schedule has been nuts for the last couple weeks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread