Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Question of the Day.

b307a1

Reaction score
Here's mine..... I am looking at a leftover '19 2500 that is not equipped with a trailer brake controller. Now , my stupid question is can I still tow a trailer with electric brakes and if so what is the purpose of the controller?

Zeroday

Reaction score
Without the controller, you can't run a trailer with brakes and have those brakes work with your truck brakes. I'm not sure why this configuration was ever possible to build, imho. I am not sure what's involved with getting the controller installed post-build, I'm sure it's possible, but someone else might be able to answer how easy or hard that task is.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Here's mine..... I am looking at a leftover '19 2500 that is not equipped with a trailer brake controller. Now , my stupid question is can I still tow a trailer with electric brakes and if so what is the purpose of the controller?

If you haven't purchased the truck yet, you might be able to get the dealer to install an OEM brake controller at no charge or a reduced cost if you work the deal.

Riveyman

Reaction score
The brake controller allows the brake pedal in the truck to apply the brakes to the trailer. The more you press on the brake pedal the more brakes are engaged on the trailer.
Depending on the trailer, brake set up, trailers can be pulled without a brake controller. Just the trailer brakes won't work. And the truck will be stopping everything.
I would think that the dealer could add one, weather after market or OEM.

The biggest question, is why would the dealer order a 2500 without it ?

brucie

Reaction score

My first Tundra came without a controller but Toyota was nice enough to pre-wire for one, so it was a relatively simple task to put one in. I paid an RV dealer to install it and they did a good job. It didn't cost much. Probably 500 bucks for the controller and labor. It would have cost more if they had to wire for it. Frankly I would look elsewhere if you intend to tow anything because the lack of the controller probably means there are other features missing that would make towing safer as well as less burdensome on the drive-train. Things like better transmission cooling, sway control or whatever a tow package would include. I simply don't know what else you would be giving up, but I am sure someone around here could tell you.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Tell the dealer to throw it in the deal like was said earlier in the post. They come prewired from the factory. Takes about 2-3 hours for them to do. They have to install the switch and the box then hook up to the computer to program it in. Guarantee that if you tell them it’s a deal breaker they will get one installed ASAP. Like was said, WHY a dealer would order ANY truck with a Hitch without the controller blows my mind.

Wileykid

Reaction score
The brake controller allows the brake pedal in the truck to apply the brakes to the trailer. The more you press on the brake pedal the more brakes are engaged on the trailer.
Depending on the trailer, brake set up, trailers can be pulled without a brake controller. Just the trailer brakes won't work. And the truck will be stopping everything.
I would think that the dealer could add one, weather after market or OEM.

The biggest question, is why would the dealer order a 2500 without it ?

Most definitely get the factory brake controller. It integrates into the trucks computer system, unlike an aftermarket one. I am not sure on the RAM, but I do know that on a different brand truck I had, with the factory controller, if the truck needed to apply the brakes for some reason (anti-sway), it would apply the trailer brakes. Aftermarket wouldn't do that.

Most states require functional brakes on trailers over 3K lbs. Some states are less than that.

* One should never let a trailer sway, much less get so bad that the trucks computer intervenes, but it is nice to know that the truck can control the trailer brakes in that situation.

Last edited:

Ddmac

Reaction score
I never had a built in brake controller, always used a tekonsha on several trucks. My 2016 Ram CTD was my first with the factory brake controller, it really was a superior system. I am really sure if it is at all possible a factory controller is best. My 2019 Longhorn has one.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
dealer can install one for ya, no problem. I had one installed on my tradesman. their superior to any aftermarket units.

John Jensen

Reaction score
You can install the OEM controller yourself, I did on my 1500. Search the web for the best price. When finished have the dealer flash the sales code and it will appear and be optioned on the radio screen. Or, if you have AlfaOBD and a bypass harness you can do the software change yourself.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
if you do order one yourself, be sure you have the correct on. they still may ship ya an 18 model lol

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it amazing that a 2500/3500 would be built without a trailer brake or tow mirrors for that matter...
Although I do agree, some people buy the truck for its cargo ability and 8 foot bed. So mirrors and trailer brake controller are not needed.

Since they no longer offer the 8 foot bed in a 1500 some people will buy the 2500 but do not need any more cost.

But, like I said, I agree they should be standard and then a delete to save money.

Zeroday

Reaction score
I went back and checked and it's a $295 option - I thought it was a bit cheaper than that, so I can understand it being optioned out more now. I'm sure they've done the studies on how often they're ordered so that the spec trucks are optimized for perceived demand.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Treat it like a pocket on a shirt . Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! You can’t have too much truck....:)

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Stupid question: If you order the 5th wheel prep kit, does it come with puck covers for the holes?

Users who are viewing this thread