Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock sway bar

Dwilly

Reaction score
I'm on a full Carli suspension setup with Bilsteins rather than fox or king. The side to side rocking over uneven bumps was driving me nuts. My head was almost hitting the window. I found the solution. Complete removal of the front sway bar. What a difference! I can hardly believe its the same vehicle. As long as there is no on-ramp racing everything should be fine. Anyone else ever try it?

Attachments

• 20210315_134700.jpg
    20210315_134700.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 39

Xflight29

Reaction score
I had a Coe worker who disconnected his and had a accident and the insurance company denied both vehicles due to disconnecting the front sway bar. This is why the Power Wagon has electronic on off ability. Beautiful truck you have.

Dwilly

Reaction score
I had a Coe worker who disconnected his and had a accident and the insurance company denied both vehicles due to disconnecting the front sway bar. This is why the Power Wagon has electronic on off ability. Beautiful truck you have.
Was he driving like a fool? Because unless it could be proved that the sway bar was the reason for the accident, how could they deny the claim? It seems that 50% of the time those power wagon disconnects get stuck unlocked anyways. What would happen then?

Xflight29

Reaction score
Was he driving like a fool? Because unless it could be proved that the sway bar was the reason for the accident, how could they deny the claim? It seems that 50% of the time those power wagon disconnects get stuck unlocked anyways. What would happen then?
to be honest he is that guy that drives stupid and I was carious on why they would look at that in the first place.

Dwilly

Reaction score
to be honest he is that guy that drives stupid and I was carious on why they would look at that in the first place.
If you drive fast around corners, not a good idea to do this I think. I drive the speed limit always and take ramps like a little bitch( I have an R1M for going fast) so I think I'm good. The ride difference is really unbelievable.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you drive fast around corners, not a good idea to do this I think. I drive the speed limit always and take ramps like a little bitch( I have an R1M for going fast) so I think I'm good. The ride difference is really unbelievable.

i ran my jeep jk on 35s with no front and rear swaybar was fine i put it on 3 wheels a time or 2 taking off hard and cranking it but thats to be expected on road manners was fine.....

Dwilly

Reaction score
i ran my jeep jk on 35s with no front and rear swaybar was fine i put it on 3 wheels a time or 2 taking off hard and cranking it but thats to be expected on road manners was fine.....
Good to know. Apparently a buddy of mine who has two gen 3 duallys has done this for years. No issues at all. I just couldn't deal with the side to side rocking another second.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good to know. Apparently a buddy of mine who has two gen 3 duallys has done this for years. No issues at all. I just couldn't deal with the side to side rocking another second.
keep your rear and you will not have any issue it can have pretty good body roll without it on the rear, i took it off my 01 dually too but the rear leafs hold it stable unlike coils

Dwilly

Reaction score
keep your rear and you will not have any issue it can have pretty good body roll without it on the rear, i took it off my 01 dually too but the rear leafs hold it stable unlike coils
Yes the rear is staying put. The Carli end links weren't cheap and look awesome.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I call bs on the whole story

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’ve ran no swaybars on plenty of rigs. I’ve deleted sways + trackbars on leaf spring rigs. I’ve done solid axle swaps with custom rear suspension and no sway or trackbar. Getting rid of superfluous suspension components always makes the ride better.

it’s my opinion that you could easily get away with removing one OR the other (swaybars) on a rig that is linked and coils front and rear.

I wouldn’t remove BOTH (swaybars) on a rig that is coil/link front/rear. Maybe could remove both if you had stiffer than stock springs all around. Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem doing it on a 3500 though, because of the leafs out back.

trackbar has to stay on, though.

you can always put it back on later if it handles sketchy... unless you’re dead. Then you can’t.

You have sense, though. Drive it within its means. you’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Dwilly

Reaction score
I’ve ran no swaybars on plenty of rigs. I’ve deleted sways + trackbars on leaf spring rigs. I’ve done solid axle swaps with custom rear suspension and no sway or trackbar. Getting rid of superfluous suspension components always makes the ride better.

it’s my opinion that you could easily get away with removing one OR the other on a rig that is linked and coils front and rear.

I wouldn’t remove BOTH on a rig that is coil/link front/rear. I wouldn't have a problem doing it on a 3500 though, because of the leafs out back.

you can always put it back on later if it handles sketchy... unless you’re dead. Then you can’t.

Great to know. Thanks.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I ran no front sway bar on my Carli suspensioned 2007 for a while. I hooked it back up after having to make a quick unplanned lane change on the freeway to avoid a mess. I will be going with a torsion sway bar on my 2020 when my suspension arrives.

Dwilly

Reaction score
I ran no front sway bar on my Carli suspensioned 2007 for a while. I hooked it back up after having to make a quick unplanned lane change on the freeway to avoid a mess. I will be going with a torsion sway bar on my 2020 when my suspension arrives.
What happened in the midst of this lane change?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
A car crossed over the OHV lane and hit the center wall. I had to bail to the right from the HOV lane and then correct back to the left to straighten back out. Way too much roll for me. Felt like the truck didn't want to go where I wanted it to when I wanted it to. I have had to do a similar move in the truck when I had it connected and it handled much better - even with a small load in the back (camping). The Carli suspension probably saved it both times.

Having said that the 2019-2021s are a whole different animal. I am not sure how the truck would react.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Need to go with sway bar quick disconnect/connect system of some sort.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

it’s my opinion that you could easily get away with removing one OR the other (swaybars) on a rig that is linked and coils front and rear.

I wouldn’t remove BOTH (swaybars) on a rig that is coil/link front/rear. Maybe could remove both if you had stiffer than stock springs all around. Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem doing it on a 3500 though, because of the leafs out back.

trackbar has to stay on, though.

Well said i just didn't feel like typing out similar info on my phone lol..... if i die should i leave a note to have someone connect the sway bar before insurance looks at the vehicle so they can get paid out? Lol

R.J.

Reaction score
This truck rolls like no tomorrow (3500) and couldn't imagine driving it without at least the front sway bar. In fact, I'm going to add the Hellwig to the rear when available.

Users who are viewing this thread