Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

** SOLVED - Help or thoughts with BakFlip MX4 install problem

Ron045

Reaction score
I tried to install my new BakFlip MX4 today. I watched three install videos and followed the instructions explicitly.

No matter how I adjust the cover, the end panel will not line up to close. It's looks like the manufacturer installed the lock mechanism 1/8th inch off to the right.

The bolts at the bulkhead are loose to allow for final movement and adjustment. But no matter where I move it, it still won't close. I even removed the rails and started over thinking they were not installed tightly against the bed.

I contacted the vendor but it's a weekend. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your inputs.
Ron
IMG_20220115_151017486.jpgIMG_20220115_151027677.jpgIMG_20220115_151108069.jpgIMG_20220115_151125930.jpg

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I tried to install my new BakFlip MX4 today. I watched three install videos and followed the instructions explicitly.

No matter how I adjust the cover, the end panel will not line up to close. It's looks like the manufacturer installed the lock mechanism 1/8th inch off to the right.

The bolts at the bulkhead are loose to allow for final movement and adjustment. But no matter where I move it, it still won't close. I even removed the rails and started over thinking they were not installed tightly against the bed.

I contacted the vendor but it's a weekend. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your inputs.
Ron
View attachment 30092View attachment 30093View attachment 30094View attachment 30095

Dude! I’m on my second one.

Exact. Same. Thing. Both of them.

I’m just gonna dremel it and be done. I’m not sending another back. They obviously are having some QC issues.

On the plus side their customer service excellent.

Ron045

Reaction score
Dude! I’m on my second one.

Exact. Same. Thing. Both of them.

They have a real issue here.

I’m just gonna dremel it and be done.
I considered just unscrewing the rail that holds the lock wire and sliding it down. They are self-tapping screws. But I thought I would call first since it's brand freekin' new. Darling Wife convinced me to at least call them first. In the picks you can see where it lines up with the existing holes and then where I slid it over a tad left.
Who did you work with to get your second one? The vendor or the manufacturer? How hard was it to ship the other one back?
Ron
IMG_20220115_154423776.jpgIMG_20220115_154443305.jpg

Last edited:

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I considered just unscrewing the rail that holds the lock wire and sliding it down. They are self-tapping screws. But I thought I would call first since it's brand freekin' new. Darling Wife convinced me to at least call them first. In the picks you can see where it lines up with the existing holes and then where I slid it over a tad left.
Who did you work with to get your second one? The vendor or the manufacturer? How hard was it to ship the other one back?
Ron
View attachment 30101View attachment 30102

Okay.

So I unscrewed the first one I had. The problem is, the entire mechanism is one long piece. So there is no way to just “move” it in a little.

There were extra holes so I thought maybe I could just slide it back. Didn’t work. You’d need to make new holes in the cover. Like you wasn’t ready to do that the first time around.

Might be an option this time. Probably easier than shaving off some of that black piece.

I was right I’m the middle of busted water heater the day I was trying to install the first one so I didn’t put much thought into it. Just boxed it up and sent it back.

When I installed the second one I didn’t have a bunch of time to dick with it. Just slammed it shut and figured I’d fiddle with it later and “make” it work. Didn’t want to send a second one back only to get a third with the same issue.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Like I said they’re customer service is great if you decide to send it back.

I had an MX4 on my F150 and it came with a bent rail. They had me a new set of rails within days.

Same this time. Had me a new cover within a few days.

It’s all personal but I love their covers. Nothing else I really want so it’s worth it to me to make it work.

Last edited:

NC Rebel

Reaction score
My MX4 cover was missing the entire hardware pack. I agree with you about customer service they are great! I asked them to overnight the kit to me , got it the next day! But they really need to make sure that the orders are complete before shipping.

Bigred6.7

Reaction score
I had to trim 1/8” off the left hand rail as the tailgate wouldn’t close otherwise, also one of the plastic corners was broken upon arrival (vendor got Bakflip to send out replacements no questions asked). This cover replaced one I purchased in 2016 for my old short bed truck, I like the design changes/improvements. But When cover is folded up it doesn’t look as natural and puts a lot of pressure on the lock mechanism/top of last panel. Hoping it relaxes a bit once the rubber stretches out after some summer heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron045

Reaction score
Well, they are sending me a new one. It's due 2/15.

But read this strange instruction that was a part of the email.

"Once the new cover is installed please reply to this email with photos of the old cover destroyed to complete this claim."

That is the strangest request. What do I do to destroy this when they advertise...
"Durable... Able to withstand 400 lbs. Heavy-duty, all-season truck bed cover is designed to perform in extreme conditions. MX4’s resilient infrastructure is for everyday use."

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Id be practicing on photoshop then sell the first one to someone who does not mind screwing around with the latchs

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I just re drilled the latch on the left side a few thousandths in. Works fine. The plastic piece that covers it sits a little proud now because there is a recess on the bottom of that plastic piece. But it works

Not gambling on the third one having the same issue.

I’m guessing they are have a manufacturing issue and not wanting to wait for them to figure it out.

Hopefully if your not getting it till the 14th then maybe they’ve figured it out and are fixing it and the new one won’t have the issue.

But then again if I can just leave this one on till the new one comes maybe I will call them again. I don't know.

*Update*

After thinking on it a little more, decided that for that kind of money it should work without modification.

Called Real Truck again and got anther ticketed opened up. They are going to send over the information and my pictures to Bak Industries to see if we can figure out what's going on.

The nice lady offered to send me another one, but I told her lets wait and see if we can verify the issue is fixed before we just keep sending these large covers back and forth to each other.

I said I wasn't in a hurry and I'd rather wait and make sure I get a cover that works.

She advised it could be several business days before we heard anything back from Bak.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Last edited:

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Here's my pictures of the issue

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpeg
    IMG_2328.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 79

jadmt

Reaction score
Well, they are sending me a new one. It's due 2/15.

But read this strange instruction that was a part of the email.

"Once the new cover is installed please reply to this email with photos of the old cover destroyed to complete this claim."

That is the strangest request. What do I do to destroy this when they advertise...
"Durable... Able to withstand 400 lbs. Heavy-duty, all-season truck bed cover is designed to perform in extreme conditions. MX4’s resilient infrastructure is for everyday use."
just place some targets on it and go to town..I would actually like to have a chance to destroy it that way you know how tough it really is. leave it installed and jump up and down on it etc..

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I have been following this. When I installed the MX on My 18 I had issues with it not fitting correctly. Found that there are felt strips attached to the back side of the rails. With those installed it was too narrow and had to remove them for things to line up for the Latches to operate correctly. Also there was not enough space for the cover to roll back and forth freely.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I not telling anyone what to do but I’d wait till we hear back from Bak before you order or send the one you have back in exchange for a new one.

I want to know they are aware and have fixed the issue before beeping sent another one.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Heard back from Real Truck today.

Bak Industrial suggested I instal the rails with the tail gate closed. I thought that’s a stupid solution, and I told them but I’m a more diplomatic way.

I did as they asked. Of course it made no difference.

Told them that idea didn’t work and that they have a manufacturing issue that needs to be addressed.

I’d suggest everyone who has seen this if you haven’t yet already open a case with real truck, or who ever you got your cover through, and flood them to force them to do something.

Ron045

Reaction score
MX4 #2 shipped from BAK today. Should have in a week or so. Fingers crossed this one works.

Ron045

Reaction score
Heard back from Real Truck today.

Bak Industrial suggested I instal the rails with the tail gate closed. I thought that’s a stupid solution, and I told them but I’m a more diplomatic way.

I did as they asked. Of course it made no difference.

Told them that idea didn’t work and that they have a manufacturing issue that needs to be addressed.

I’d suggest everyone who has seen this if you haven’t yet already open a case with real truck, or who ever you got your cover through, and flood them to force them to do something.
How does having the tailgate closed help the "left - right" fit issue?

Users who are viewing this thread