Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

** SOLVED - Help or thoughts with BakFlip MX4 install problem

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Can they send you an empty box and call tag?

Maybe piece together boxes for wall pictures, TVs, or mirrors?

Negative. They won’t send me a box.

Think I found one today at an auto body place. I already dinged up my brand new truck

Gonna try the Paragon Cover. Little more expensive but looks to be really well made.

uhhello

Reaction score
Funny enough, I put it through a auto car wash right away and had maybe a drop of water in the back right at the tail gate. Works for me.

Tunis7

Reaction score
I just saw this thread after I placed my order for the mx4. I really hope they corrected this issue. The mx4 fit perfect when I had my Denali and wanted the same exact thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
That’s why I ordered another one. It fit my Ford perfect and wanted another.

I did end up making a box and finally getting it returned.

Ordered the Peragon. Will put it on here as soon as the truck get back from the shop and see how I like it. I have a 100 days to test it out.

spinned

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying an MX4 but I guess I’ll keep looking. :(

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying an MX4 but I guess I’ll keep looking. :(

It wasn’t just that there were manufacturing issues, but it just didn’t fit as well as it did on the shorter end trucks.

I think the extra foot and extra panel required for the longer HD bed has something to do with that.

I just thought for a premium $900+ bed cover it should have zero issues and better fitment.

I think the Peragon will fit better, and I like the mechanism it uses, but even before I install it, I’m skeptical it’s exactly what I’m looking for. But with free shipping both ways and a 100 days to try it out I figured what do I have to lose.

Definitely keeping the box this time.

Ron045

Reaction score
Well now I have a new problem. Two days in a row on trips of 300+ miles the latch between panel one and two on the passenger side keeps popping open. I opened a ticket with BaK. Regretting my purchase.

Last edited:

Pearce

Reaction score
Just tried to install an MX4 on my 22. The tailgate wouldn't shut without being forced. That last panel at the tailgate is sitting high and has a lot of up/down movement. I was done messing with it last night in the dark but will use some of the tips here to see if I can get it better. I got one a year and half ago for my 16 and it installed perfect. Tight seal to the top of the tailgate when closed, no movement.

Redmille

Reaction score
I just installed an MX4 on my 22 long bed. Cover seems to be of similar quality as past Bakflip covers I have had. Fit well other than the left rail being a touch long, I also had to slam the tail gate to make it shut. Pulled the plastic plug off on the end of the rail and ran it on the grinder wheel, thinning it out a bit, and now my tail gate shuts as it should. So far so good.

Pearce

Reaction score
For the tailgate not shutting I ended up finding there were tiny foam pads at the front of the rails. Pulled those off and it made a difference shutting the tailgate. They were not on the previous version. Tailgate still seems finicky when shutting. I tend to close the bakflip after the tailgate now. They also included some wrong hardware for the buckle clip but were quick to provide me with a new buckle kit. Helps to work on stuff like this in full daylight instead of after work :oops:

Bdascott13

Reaction score
im having the same problem. How did you resolve the issue?
I considered just unscrewing the rail that holds the lock wire and sliding it down. They are self-tapping screws. But I thought I would call first since it's brand freekin' new. Darling Wife convinced me to at least call them first. In the picks you can see where it lines up with the existing holes and then where I slid it over a tad left.
Who did you work with to get your second one? The vendor or the manufacturer? How hard was it to ship the other one back?
Ron
View attachment 30101View attachment 30102
thx Brad

GBB

Reaction score
Just installed one on my 2021 long bed dually and fit like a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread