Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety Recall ZA3 - Transmission Dipstick ** UPDATED INFO IN 1ST POST **

Austi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We wanted to come on here to remind you of a recall that was launched previously in an effort to increase the completion rate. Some 2020-2023 Ram 2500s and 2020-2022 Ram 3500s may be affected.
The recall number is ZA3. The transmission on your vehicle may experience a buildup of pressure and heat inside the transmission. This can result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment.
Your dealer will replace the transmission dipstick and the transmission vent hose.

Please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership if you are having trouble completing this recall. We know there has been a strict part restriction so please reach out to us if you need assistance.

You can learn more on recalls.mopar.com, or feel free to send us a private message. Wea re happy to answer any questions.

Thank you,
Ram Cares
How am I supposed to check my transmission oil. This is absolutely ridiculous that ram would not have a dipstick to check the oil because the transmission has a design flaw. The dealer shrugs their shoulders at this. For the price of my 2023 ram, there should be a dipstick provided. Their response is to schedule service to have the transmission checked. I don't have that luxury to drop off my vehicle for a 5 minute job. Chrysler needs to provide a dipstick to owners.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
How am I supposed to check my transmission oil. This is absolutely ridiculous that ram would not have a dipstick to check the oil because the transmission has a design flaw. The dealer shrugs their shoulders at this. For the price of my 2023 ram, there should be a dipstick provided. Their response is to schedule service to have the transmission checked. I don't have that luxury to drop off my vehicle for a 5 minute job. Chrysler needs to provide a dipstick to owners.

The short dipstick was an early fix. The current repair includes a full length dipstick.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Reading is not your strong suit?

WisHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad your situation is being addressed.
I also received s response , It did not change my situation. Called multiple dealers in my area for the 3rd time in two weeks yesterday.
Each dealership told me the same thing "that the parts are on back order and that I am on the list."
So I wait until someone calls.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
I'm glad your situation is being addressed.
I also received s response , It did not change my situation. Called multiple dealers in my area for the 3rd time in two weeks yesterday.
Each dealership told me the same thing "that the parts are on back order and that I am on the list."
So I wait until someone calls.
After Ram Customer Care called to let me know my dealer has the parts and call to make an appt. The service advisor told me as I wanted to make an appt. that they don’t have the parts on hand. I proceded to the service advisor that I just got off the phone with Ram Customer Service and advised me you have the parts available at the dealership. The tuned change and all suddenly they have the part for the tranny dipstick recall and scheduled me. I could not believe the BS.

Last edited:

koolrayz

Reaction score
I had the recall done this spring on my 2020 2500 . I was servicing my truck today and went to check the transmission fluid. There is a short dipstick that has a note on it saying that it is not for checking the fluid. I called the dealer service department that did the recall and they told me you have to bring the truck to them to get the fluid level checked. WTF kind of ******** is that! I have an aftermarket deep pan and I do all of my own service work. So now I am on the hunt for a dipstick. I will probably end up making something to measure the level.

flan

Reaction score
I had the recall done this spring on my 2020 2500 . I was servicing my truck today and went to check the transmission fluid. There is a short dipstick that has a note on it saying that it is not for checking the fluid. I called the dealer service department that did the recall and they told me you have to bring the truck to them to get the fluid level checked. WTF kind of ******** is that! I have an aftermarket deep pan and I do all of my own service work. So now I am on the hunt for a dipstick. I will probably end up making something to measure the level.
Get the re-recalled one installed. That was a quick fix until they got the full length kit together.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I've updated the 1st post for those that don't bother to read about the update.

There has been a subsequent Customer Satisfaction campaign release with updated parts to replace the tube and includes a full length locking dipstick.

Please refrain from further complaints regarding the short stick. Get your 2nd recall follow up work scheduled.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

There has been a subsequent Customer Satisfaction campaign release with updated parts to replace the tube and includes a full length locking dipstick.

Please refrain from further complaints regarding the short stick. Get your 2nd recall follow up work scheduled.

Hi there, there is currently not a CSN for a longer dipstick. However, the previous part restriction has been removed.
If someone has a shorter dipstick, they can reach out to us and we can work to get a longer one for them/

Ram Cares

Austi

Reaction score

Thank you for your response, I have been dealing directly with the dealer for over three months now and I am fully aware of the recall for the dipstick replacement.

However, I am told there is no active recall for my truck to be able to furnish one and I totally get the run around.

I was never aware of any additional information (I have been in contact with Ram Customer Service with no avail) for an additional campain and this is the first I am hearing about one. You would thing the dealer would know this as I was just there yesterday for an update.

Austi

Reaction score
Reading is not your strong suit?
I am quite capable of reading, but appreciate your comment. I normally don't ask a forum for anything and this is why. I have been dealing with the dealer for months and I am at a dead end, They are telling me that I do not get a new full length dipstick and there is nothing they can do. Ram Customer service has said the same thing. I was looking for some direction here. I was at the dealer yesterday about this and same run around.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, I have been dealing directly with the dealer for over three months now and I am fully aware of the recall for the dipstick replacement.

However, I am told there is no active recall for my truck to be able to furnish one and I totally get the run around.

I was never aware of any additional information (I have been in contact with Ram Customer Service with no avail) for an additional campain and this is the first I am hearing about one. You would thing the dealer would know this as I was just there yesterday for an update.

Hello,

Please send our team a PM with your VIN, we'd like to see if the dipstick recall applies for your vehicle. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Ziggy

Reaction score
I was told by RamCares to see if I had the short or long dipstick for the transmission. How do I know which I have? It's a 2023 2500 Limited

Ziggy

Reaction score
Pull it out and look at it.
Yes, and compare it to what? Does one have a different pull ring over the other? what is the length to measure for the short and/or long version?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and compare it to what? Does one have a different pull ring over the other? what is the length to measure for the short and/or long version?

The short one is too short for checking your fluid level, which is why the switched to a long one.

Ziggy

Reaction score
The short one is too short for checking your fluid level, which is why the switched to a long one.
OK, so if I pull the stick and there is no fluid present on the stick, then I have the short one?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so if I pull the stick and there is no fluid present on the stick, then I have the short one?

The short one is like 15", the long one is like 43".

It's pretty obvious the short on can't reach down into the trans.

Long (new) locking stick on the left. Factory non locking on the right. The new tube (right) has a roll in the neck.

1695069150427.png

Short (initial recall) locking stick on the right, factory non locking on the left.

1695069363645.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread