Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety Recall ZA3 - Transmission Dipstick ** UPDATED INFO IN 1ST POST **

Ziggy

Reaction score
The short one is like 15", the long one is like 43".

It's pretty obvious the short on can't reach down into the trans.

Long (new) locking stick on the left. Factory non locking on the right. The new tube (right) has a roll in the neck.

View attachment 62671

Short (initial recall) locking stick on the right, factory non locking on the left.

View attachment 62672
Thanks, its clear now. Think I am going to get this as well. Simple install. https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-doomsday-device

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey it's your sheckles but IMHO, that's a huge waste of money and ATS kinda sucks anyway. I wouldn't give them a dime of my money.

Also, likely that won't fit in the new style tube.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey it's your sheckles but IMHO, that's a huge waste of money and ATS kinda sucks anyway. I wouldn't give them a dime of my money.

Interested in hearing your opinion. I have not dealt with them, and their video seemed compelling. But I can learn new things.

Jay P

Reaction score
Suncoast makes a locking dipstick for the 18 and older 68rfe. It's a little longer and the marks are wrong. It's better than the ATS solution, cheaper and a better short term solution if you can find one (just need to use the factory dipstick to check levels).

Edit -> this is just a short term fix until the dealer can perform the actual recall.

Last edited:

JD2510

Reaction score
There is a TSB if you have the short dipstick with locking handle you can go to dealership and request a long dipstick free of charge. The dipstick tube is the same length as the dipstick tube with short dipstick.

Will_T

Reaction score

When I realized my dealer was not going to do the recall anytime soon and after I once found my dipstick slightly out of the tube, I bought the overpriced "doomsday device". It installed OK and has been in place for months now with no issues. But I am sure I have the old-style tube still. Also, some day, (year?), when I finally am able to get the recall done, I will have this overpriced device and no use for it. But that is what many of us need put up with after the sale if we want a Ram truck. The more I try to deal with service and recalls though, the more I think maybe the Ram brand was a mistake. I love the truck other than that though and I still can't imagine getting rid of it unless there is an issue that parks the truck, and I can't get it fixed in a timely manner.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There is a TSB if you have the short dipstick with locking handle you can go to dealership and request a long dipstick free of charge. The dipstick tube is the same length as the dipstick tube with short dipstick.

The tube gets changed for the new locking stick.

@Ziggy if you are that worried about it for the time being until you can get the recall done just ziptie it in place no need to waste a dime on anything from ATS

JD2510

Reaction score
The tube gets changed for the new locking stick.

@Ziggy if you are that worried about it for the time being until you can get the recall done just ziptie it in place no need to waste a dime on anything from ATS
The tech that replaced my dipstick on recall did not replace dipstick tube said the new tube was same as the one on the truck

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The tech that replaced my dipstick on recall did not replace dipstick tube said the new tube was same as the one on the truck
For the full length stick? I was under the impression they were to be replaced perhaps the tech was just lazy? I was sure the P/N for the new tube was different

deanfx

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out if the tube needs to be changed out as well?

Users who are viewing this thread