Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhino Lining

Reaction score
Our new PW does not have the Mopar bedliner installed and a Rhino Lining dealer is the only thing within a reasonable distance. (Eastern Montana) Two questions: Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Rhino versus Line-X? Also, I have the cargo divider for the RamBox bed...does Line-X or Rhino Lining interfere with the use of the divider at all? Thanks in Advance!

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I can only give my personal experience with Rhino but here goes:
I had RL sprayed into the bed of my 1997 Ram. About a year later I noticed chunks about .5"-1" coming off right in the center of the bed. When I took it into the shop that sprayed it and asked for them to warranty it and fix/respray they asked if I had hauled any kind of chemical or gas in the bed? The only thing I could figure was fuel had dripped out of my old KDX250 2-stroke dirt bike. Apparently this was enough for the RL shop to say I voided my warranty. I'll never have that $h*t in any vehicle again.

I have had Line-x in my last 2 trucks and found it to be a much better product with better texture and grip. Only issue I ever had was after 9 years on my Chevy it started to turn a dull gray. I probably could've had the shop fix it but I ended up trading that truck in on my Ram 2500.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have had both Rhino and LineX and both were fine. I kind of liked the Rhino a bit better as it seemed a little more forgiving. I have the LineX premium or whatever it is called in mine now. Not sure where in Montana you are but Missoula lineX dealer does a **** load of them. I also have heard the Bozeman LineX dealer does a good job but no personal experience with them.

sanda

Reaction score
I've had spray in liners and drop in liners. I have had the best luck with the drop ins for durability and looks. I am already having chipping and fading on my 21 and didn't really want it but I was stuck with it because I wanted the bed lighting and step.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have had both Rhino and LineX. I had the Rhino back in the 2005-6 era, it was a thicker coating than the LineX and an excellent product. I currently have LineX on my 2016 and 2020 and it seems to be a good lining, no complaints.

Reaction score
I have had both Rhino and LineX and both were fine. I kind of liked the Rhino a bit better as it seemed a little more forgiving. I have the LineX premium or whatever it is called in mine now. Not sure where in Montana you are but Missoula lineX dealer does a **** load of them. I also have heard the Bozeman LineX dealer does a good job but no personal experience with them.

Well, that's the problem...I'm on the opposite end of the state. I would have to go to Bozeman or Rapid City for Line-X. A dealer in Miles City (only 40 minutes away) has Rhino Liner. I have always thought Line-X was superior, but I don't know if it's 4-hour-drive-one-way superior. :D

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I have always thought Line-X was superior, but I don't know if it's 4-hour-drive-one-way superior. :D
Do you plan on keeping the truck long term? If so, it maybe worth the drive.

If you trade it off every couple years, then maybe get what ever is practical for right now.

tchur1

Reaction score
MIght seem like a silly question but how hard are you on your bed and what are you putting in there consistently? Line X is superior but if youre not beating on the bed consistently you can probably get away with the Rhino.

phrogman

Reaction score
I have had the Rhino for a few months now with no issues so far.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Untillater

Reaction score
Rhino vs linex vs bullet liner vs et al..... chemically, they are all the same, polyurea. the difference is in the mix percentages (think epoxy) and the application process / skill of the installer.

"rhino" uses a mix that results in a bit softer liner that is more flexible, but can tear more easily. Line-x uses a harder mix that seems to hold up better, but has less give / stretch.

that said, I would consider even a local mom/pop shop if they have examples of their work, you should be able see/feel fairly readily if it is a softer or harder mix, drag a key on it and see how it holds up.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Just to pile on....I had Rhino in my '02 Chevy HD. Fine until it wasn't (a year into ownership). Started discoloration and pealing on the right inner-bedside near the tailgate. Was able to get it "stripped and resprayed" but it was always a patch and started again. I had dented the floor horribly later on, but the Rhino held up and only flexed and didn't rip.

Since then I have had Line-X in both my last 1500, and this 2500 RamBox. I have 0 regrets and will never look back. It is worth the drive. If the texture is too much for something (furniture, lounging, etc..) just put down a moving blanket or get a Tractor Supply Horse Mat as a supplement soft-floor.

Reaction score
MIght seem like a silly question but how hard are you on your bed and what are you putting in there consistently? Line X is superior but if youre not beating on the bed consistently you can probably get away with the Rhino.
I'm pretty easy on truck beds. I definitely do not abuse them.

el_barto

Reaction score
Rhino vs linex vs bullet liner vs et al..... chemically, they are all the same, polyurea. the difference is in the mix percentages (think epoxy) and the application process / skill of the installer.

"rhino" uses a mix that results in a bit softer liner that is more flexible, but can tear more easily. Line-x uses a harder mix that seems to hold up better, but has less give / stretch.

that said, I would consider even a local mom/pop shop if they have examples of their work, you should be able see/feel fairly readily if it is a softer or harder mix, drag a key on it and see how it holds up.
I’ve seen rhino liner in other peoples trucks and never been impressed. Texture looks courser, but feels softer, and I’ve heard they tend to peel(because they are softer). LineX in my last truck was great, and uncle had it in his truck as well for many years…looked great no matter the abuse. Have Bullet Liner in my Ram, it looks and feels nearly identical to the LineX. No complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread