Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax vs DiamondBack bed cover

Iowagon

Reaction score
Hey guys, spring is coming and I'm in the paralysis by over analysis phase on pulling the trigger on one of these two bed covers. I know they've been discussed in this forum before because that's how I discovered them but looking for help in me making a decision.

I've got a 2021 Power Wagon WITH Ramboxes.

On one hand, I think Retrax will look better with Ramboxes. I think the flush look will look better than the terraced look of the DiamondBack. I think the Retrax will give me a little bit better bed access but I qualify that in that I'm not tall enough to reach far into the bed from the sides.

I like the load bearing weight of the DiamondBack. I can see using it as a photography platform for my daughter's soccer games, sitting on it with lawn chairs, using it like scaffolding for hanging Christmas lights, even fishing from it. I don't have ATVs do that use is lost upon me.

My number one reason for either of these covers is security. I want a secure place to keep stuff when traveling. I'm not sure which is better. I suspect the DiamondBack but I don't know that for sure.

Weather resistance would be a nice to have. Not sure which is more water resistant. Maybe neither.

So any input from you guys which would help nudge me one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-AJ

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its just a tonneau cover just pick one at random and spend the time analyzing something important lol, my take on it.... but i dont care about details like that aslong as it keeps the majority of the snow out im happy

pdavey

Reaction score
Hey guys, spring is coming and I'm in the paralysis by over analysis phase on pulling the trigger on one of these two bed covers. I know they've been discussed in this forum before because that's how I discovered them but looking for help in me making a decision.

I've got a 2021 Power Wagon WITH Ramboxes.

On one hand, I think Retrax will look better with Ramboxes. I think the flush look will look better than the terraced look of the DiamondBack. I think the Retrax will give me a little bit better bed access but I qualify that in that I'm not tall enough to reach far into the bed from the sides.

I like the load bearing weight of the DiamondBack. I can see using it as a photography platform for my daughter's soccer games, sitting on it with lawn chairs, using it like scaffolding for hanging Christmas lights, even fishing from it. I don't have ATVs do that use is lost upon me.

My number one reason for either of these covers is security. I want a secure place to keep stuff when traveling. I'm not sure which is better. I suspect the DiamondBack but I don't know that for sure.

Weather resistance would be a nice to have. Not sure which is more water resistant. Maybe neither.

So any input from you guys which would help nudge me one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-AJ
I love the Diamond Back. It looks rugged, is strong as hell and very versatile. Easy to take off panels If you need to carry something tall.

Or easy to load stuff on top of it.

Works well with the ramboxes.

I also installed tracks on it so I can load up to 4 bikes, kayaks or whatever else you want.

BTW welcome to the PW family. I have a 2005 and 2019 Power Wagon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
4c47c488a6556d959c51ece61740db92.jpg
41918f241a4b82c2a610aeff91a741bf.jpg
42a5b883a8276ae11ba809a299a693c2.jpg

Last edited:

Pronto

Reaction score
Ok, so the answer to my original question is to get an Amp side step. I understand now.

pdavey

Reaction score
Or if you have a power wagon I would suggest white knuckle sliders

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I'm getting a Retrax for my diesel family hauler but if I had a PW I would get the Diamondback style. It fits the trucks purpose better and would be a better overlanding accessory platform.

mcspeed

Reaction score
ed0946c8b5593691ca3242134785aa8a.jpg

My old truck with BakFlip F1 lid. I bought it for security and strength. I could walk on top. Added yakima rails on bed rails and cross bars for kayaks and rack. Also hauled tandem bike up top.

Overall it was good but not enough space under cover. 5.5’ bed is part of the problem. With cross bars mounted I couldn’t open lid. Fairly quick to remove but just another hassle.

Decided on a fiberglass topper for new truck. It has drawbacks too but like to have more space under cover. With rails up top the kayaks are easy to mount as well.

I would think long and hard about how you wish to use your bed cover. Maybe even write down the pros and cons of the different options. Only you can decide on what will meet your needs.

Sharing what I found in hopes of you getting some ideas on what may or may not work for you.

Iowagon

Reaction score
Thanks McSpeed. I may be overanalyzing my pros and cons list.

One concern I have with the Retrax is there are so many moving parts and that equates to a greater risk of failure. I can envision alignment issues.

My Dad has a BakFlip and loves it. But prior to that he had soft covers. I'm not sure the BakFlip has as much security as the Retrax or DiamondBack. I like the look of yours in the picture.

I don't think I've heard anyone who owned a DiamondBack cover regret it, even with basically splitting the bed into halves.

Stojanowski

Reaction score
Thanks McSpeed. I may be overanalyzing my pros and cons list.

One concern I have with the Retrax is there are so many moving parts and that equates to a greater risk of failure. I can envision alignment issues.

My Dad has a BakFlip and loves it. But prior to that he had soft covers. I'm not sure the BakFlip has as much security as the Retrax or DiamondBack. I like the look of yours in the picture.

I don't think I've heard anyone who owned a DiamondBack cover regret it, even with basically splitting the bed into halves.
I have the bakflip and love it. That being said I took a hatchet to the sheet of ice on it and dinged the hell out of it. Still functional but don't think it will hold up to your needs.

Next on my wishlist is to replace the rock sliders with power steps

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Funny, just saw this and went through the same thing. I have a 2014 1500 right now with a retrax. Love it. 7 1/2 years old and still working well. The only con is that it has lost the ability to lock mid bed, but I suspect if I put some time into it I could fix it.

I seriously considered the Diamond back for the new PW (still being shipped), but ultimately ordered another Retrax yesterday. The main reason was simply the way I use the truck. I do have ATVs and Snowmobiles that I carry in the bed, but I wouldnt feel right about loading them (especially a snowmobile) on top without the headache rack to stop me from running a ski into the cab. And the headache racks with ramboxes look goofy as **** IMO. So anyway, retrax for me. Also, they say the aluminum Retrax can take 500 lbs, although I have never had the need to sit or stand on it.

As for security, the Retrax is very good. I feel like whatever is in the bed is just as secure as what's in the cab, but looking at the Diamondback, it is probably more secure than a retrax if that is your main concern.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I have the bakflip and love it. That being said I took a hatchet to the sheet of ice on it and dinged the hell out of it. Still functional but don't think it will hold up to your needs.

Next on my wishlist is to replace the rock sliders with power steps

Light hail dimpled my last one like crazy.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My neighbor puta DiamondBack on his 2019 3500 and I have to say it is very impressive for strenght and security. He added a sliding tray for easy access to his loaded item.

Users who are viewing this thread