Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Front Splash Shield (inner wheel well liner)

PMJohns

Reaction score
I need the Service Manual page for removing the front splash shield on my 2021 ram 2500. Since the Tech Authority does not have the Service Information CD available for the 2021 Rams yet, the 2020 page will probably work (I do not want to purchase the 2020 Tech Authority CD when my truck is a 2021). I need to get at the wire harness plug that is between the splash guard and the fire wall and there is not enough room for my big hands. I do have the 2016 Service Information Manual but there appears to be some differences between the 2016 and what I can see in the 2021.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Screws and a few push tabs. Very easy to remove and put back.

PMJohns

Reaction score
I know how to do a 2016 and I know what I can see on the 2021. I also do not have a garage and this time of the year, it rains all the time. Forgive me for wanting to know exactly what I am getting into before I start.

jadmt

Reaction score
Curious what plug you need to get at? Liner is pretty flexible just pop a couple push pins out

PMJohns

Reaction score
The plug is directly behind the lower back of the liner. It is the plug between the chassis harnes and the dash harness. I need to add the pins of an aux cable to the dash harness side (to connect the chassis harness to the CAN buss.

PMJohns

Reaction score
Do all the BSM heated mirrors have the triangle symbol in the upper outer corner. My folding tow mirrors do not have the symbol but do have the wiring for the indicator on the back of the mirror and it is plugged into the existing harness. I have not installed the CAN bus harness, so I am unable to test yet.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do all the BSM heated mirrors have the triangle symbol in the upper outer corner. My folding tow mirrors do not have the symbol but do have the wiring for the indicator on the back of the mirror and it is plugged into the existing harness. I have not installed the CAN bus harness, so I am unable to test yet.
Well of course they should all have the triangle as thats part of the BSM system. Unless the chip shortage has caused an issue with that too

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
There are three possible connections on the main mirror glass- BSM indicator (which will be evident by the triangle in the glass, heater for the glass, and auto dim for electrochromic glass.

PMJohns

Reaction score
I purchased both the left and right mirror glass. The only difference between the existing glass and the new glass is the etched triangle in the upper corner on the outside. The backsides of the new and existing glass are the same, a small housing attached directly to the mirror glass with a pair of wires that go to a small plug clipped into the mirror on the bottom; these are in addition to the heated mirror terminals.

If I had to guess, I would say that the BSM was partly installed. The tail light assemblies did not have the BSM module or jumpers.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I purchased both the left and right mirror glass. The only difference between the existing glass and the new glass is the etched triangle in the upper corner on the outside. The backsides of the new and existing glass are the same, a small housing attached directly to the mirror glass with a pair of wires that go to a small plug clipped into the mirror on the bottom; these are in addition to the heated mirror terminals.

If I had to guess, I would say that the BSM was partly installed. The tail light assemblies did not have the BSM module or jumpers.
I’d have to see them for more perspective, but if the glass doesn’t have the physical triangle indicators, then they can’t indicate blind spot. If you go to the door module and look at the black 10-way connector that is plugged into it, is there a wire in position 7?

PMJohns

Reaction score
I’d have to see them for more perspective, but if the glass doesn’t have the physical triangle indicators, then they can’t indicate blind spot. If you go to the door module and look at the black 10-way connector that is plugged into it, is there a wire in position 7?
I will take a look - it will probably be a few days - the "atmospheric river"/"pineapple express" has returned :)

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
There are three possible connections on the main mirror glass- BSM indicator (which will be evident by the triangle in the glass, heater for the glass, and auto dim for electrochromic glass.

Wait... auto dimming side mirrors?
Don't suppose it is something easy like replacing the mirror is it?

Users who are viewing this thread