Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing air dam

kristof

Reaction score
That front air dam just pissing me off every time I try to do something under my truck. Will it be okay to remove it completely? It will be much easier for me to get under the truck.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
That front air dam just pissing me off every time I try to do something under my truck. Will it be okay to remove it completely? It will be much easier for me to get under the truck.
Your gas mileage will go down ever so slightly due to the change in air flow. But otherwise it will look much better (in my opinion) and make access that much easier.

Jarred

Reaction score
I took mine off last year and haven't noticed a drop in mpg, but I don't do a lot of highway driving. I agree with LateToTheParty that it looks much better with it off. It comes off really easy too, 10 or so bolts and a few clips.

jadmt

Reaction score
careful you will void your warranty if you remove it.....just kidding. I agree they look better without it. I would love to know what the actual mpg difference is, not just the anecdotal I don't know notice any difference but the actual real world differences under controlled testing.

kristof

Reaction score
I don't think I would notice the difference since my MPG varies week by week between 12-14

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
careful you will void your warranty if you remove it.....just kidding. I agree they look better without it. I would love to know what the actual mpg difference is, not just the anecdotal I don't know notice any difference but the actual real world differences under controlled testing.
With my 2016, I tested every mod I ever put on using 3 tanks of gas before and after, with the exact same driving routine for all tanks (same roads, zero traffic, no hauling, etc...).

I don't recall the exact number and with a quick document search can't find my spreadsheet at the moment, but from memory it was something just above 0.1 mpg lost.

kristof

Reaction score
So the main purpose of that air dam is to direct air flow away from the bottom of truck , which supposedly increase MPG?

whitexc

Reaction score
Nothing to do with cooling?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
S
So the main purpose of that air dam is to direct air flow away from the bottom of truck , which supposedly increase MPG?
Smoother air flow equals less drag. Be interesting to see wind tunnel tests with and without

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I have yet to see any full replacement bumper require adding the air dam back after install.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mines 1/2 there as i had to trim the center section off for the plow mount, i will be removing it soon

kristof

Reaction score
Nothing to do with cooling?

I don't think so. If I understand correctly guys with diesel engines have a intercooler installed behind that air dam and it might shield it from rocks.

whitexc

Reaction score
I don't think so. If I understand correctly guys with diesel engines have a intercooler installed behind that air dam and it might shield it from rocks.
Hmm. I know on some vehicles that the air dam creates a negative pressure area behind the radiator for cooling. I guess I haven't looked at the new HD's enough to know if there would be any logic there.

John Jensen

Reaction score
If you take it off I strongly suggest the CJC intercooler guard like others above have done.
I had m dam off for a while but was constantly worrying about the openly exposed intercooler so I put the dam back on.
Shortly after I heard about the CJC intercooler guard. Had I known I would have left the air dam off and installed the guard.

dave41079

Reaction score
I need to get one ordered.
Yes you do, and paint it to match your wheels.

I replaced mine with a CJC intercooler guard (as it sounds like a lot of people do), and my mileage went up. I doubt it has anything to do with the mod itself, but that's what happened in my unique experience.

kristof

Reaction score
Hmm. I know on some vehicles that the air dam creates a negative pressure area behind the radiator for cooling. I guess I haven't looked at the new HD's enough to know if there would be any logic there.

I removed it last night. My MPG actually went up this morning :p . Also there are two openings right behind the license plate bracket. It looks like it might be for cooling but only if you have diesel. The engine bay from bottom is all covered with plastic trim. So I think the openings are for the intercooler from diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread