Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing adaptive steering

m3rd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to order a 3500 Laramie with the Safety Group as I like the emergency braking and adaptive cruise. But I don't want the lane-keep assist or adaptive steering as I can envision that system (the control/assist mechanism added to the steering box) failing at some point. Also I hear others complaining about the loose feel and wandering. If it did fail (or if I don't like it), does anyone know if you can install the standard box and revise the software to eliminate that feature (so you don't get error codes)? I was thinking that the steering column maybe different. Thanks.

Christofo

Reaction score
I've driven both with and without adaptive steering, both are relatively loose. I think it's not worth your time to even worry about this failing.. Have you read reports of it doing so?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Iam going out on a limb here ..but if you eliminate Lane assist you lose all the safety group features as they all use the same camera in the mirror.

I would either roll with the safety group or not....just remember it's not something easily added later.

m3rd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Christofo: Yes, I read some posts on it failing. Essentially you lose power assist and it becomes difficult to steer. I believe you need to change the entire adaptive mechanism that installed on the steering box input shaft- which is expensive, and could fail again. I don't know how common it is though.

sstoner911: I would think you could leave any cameras or sensors functional if you eliminate the system that turns the steering box. I don't think the steering is involved in the adaptive cruise or emergency braking. Agreed that it's not easy to add later, that's why I am thinking of adding it now, but would like to know my options if the steering part becomes a problem. If cameras or sensors crap out you can still drive the truck safely. If the power steering goes out, not so much.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Christofo: Yes, I read some posts on it failing. Essentially you lose power assist and it becomes difficult to steer. I believe you need to change the entire adaptive mechanism that installed on the steering box input shaft- which is expensive, and could fail again. I don't know how common it is though.

sstoner911: I would think you could leave any cameras or sensors functional if you eliminate the system that turns the steering box. I don't think the steering is involved in the adaptive cruise or emergency braking. Agreed that it's not easy to add later, that's why I am thinking of adding it now, but would like to know my options if the steering part becomes a problem. If cameras or sensors crap out you can still drive the truck safely. If the power steering goes out, not so much.
Well,

You could disable lane assist with AlfaOBD... not sure how that's going to affect the other features sine they are all tied together bI would think.

@Jimmy07 would know more

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to order a 3500 Laramie with the Safety Group as I like the emergency braking and adaptive cruise. But I don't want the lane-keep assist or adaptive steering as I can envision that system (the control/assist mechanism added to the steering box) failing at some point. Also I hear others complaining about the loose feel and wandering. If it did fail (or if I don't like it), does anyone know if you can install the standard box and revise the software to eliminate that feature (so you don't get error codes)? I was thinking that the steering column maybe different. Thanks.
Yes, you can swap out adaptive steering for regular power steering, and remove only lane keep assist with AlfaOBD, leaving adaptive cruise and FCW intact. The regular power steering gear needed to swap out is actually $300 more than the gearbox with the torque overlay for adaptive steering, so I guess if it was me, I’d chance it failing before spending more money to remove the feature than it would be to repair it if it fails.

skidooman

Reaction score
I have adaptive cruise and lane keep on my 3500, it doesn't feel loose it actually much smoother than it is on my cherokee. I'd say keep it and don't worry about it failing. You can ways turn it off. For the price to order or re-build with out it just buy it. Your worries about it failing are bs. There are 100 other things to worry about failing before the computer modules for adaptive steering. Honestly it works beautifully. Compared to the older systems it is Fantastic

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've heard of maybe one failure.

Never saw the fix so it could have been something simple like the fuse (F06, 40A, LPJCASE(FMX).

Much ado about nothing.

m3rd

Reaction score
Here is link to failures. The fix is not a fuse replacement.

MT1

Reaction score
ok so im not the only one who thinks the steering is a little sensitive for such a big vehicle. My dad said the same thing when he borrowed my truck. I dont mine the lane keep assist but i just want to stiffen the steering a tad so if i jerk the wheel on accident it doesnt send 7k lbs of truck to one side.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The steering on these trucks is inherently loose regardless of adaptive steering or not. Welcome to a solid front axle with a steering box, lots of weight and soft track bar bushings. I will admit to being very annoyed with it at times but it’s just how they are.

To my knowledge the adaptive steering doesn’t take place in the box itself but is because of an assist motor located on the steering column itself. I would think if one could just disable that motor the truck would behave like a normal steering truck. Not gonna be any tighter though…

Reactions: MT1

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The steering on these trucks is inherently loose regardless of adaptive steering or not. Welcome to a solid front axle with a steering box, lots of weight and soft track bar bushings. I will admit to being very annoyed with it at times but it’s just how they are.

To my knowledge the adaptive steering doesn’t take place in the box itself but is because of an assist motor located on the steering column itself. I would think if one could just disable that motor the truck would behave like a normal steering truck. Not gonna be any tighter though…

AFAIK, it's a magnetic drive unit bolted to the steering box.

I would think the effort required would be no more than any other power steering failure, but I haven't had the pleasure.

s-l1600.jpg

MT1

Reaction score

Im getting used to it after about 500 miles on the truck. Its about the only issue i have with the truck

m3rd

Reaction score
jetrinka,

You are correct. It's a motor attached to the column side of the box. See link below to an image. I have a 2004.5 2500 from new and the steering has been fine. I test drove a 2022 2500 and 3500 (without adaptive) and they felt the same.

Millmutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

The adaptive steering in just fine. The lane keep not so fine. There is a switch on the dash for the lane keep, just turn it off.

skidooman

Reaction score
I like the lane keep too. Works well. I'm not concerned with it failing. Everything can and will fail at some point.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
On my '21 3500, Lane Keep Assist can be turned off on the dash.
Don't know about adaptive steering, but I did 30K miles on stock tires, and the last 5K miles on 37s and have no complaints.

Firebird

Reaction score
You can turn off the lane assist in the U connect too

Users who are viewing this thread