Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove scratches from cluster plastic shield

kristof

Reaction score
I just bought a cluster and before I will install it is there a way to remove/reduce the scratches on clear shield? I don't mind them that much but would be nice to remove them
20231210_131502.jpg

20231210_131458.jpg

Bluedevilman

Reaction score
I would try Meguirs Scratch X I used it on my Softopper camper shell window and while it is not perfect it's drastically better than what it was.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually ran out of the Mothers polish I had, was considering this.

If you're impatient, the local auto supply should have either Mothers or Meguir's plastic polishes.

kristof

Reaction score
I actually ran out of the Mothers polish I had, was considering this.

If you're impatient, the local auto supply should have either Mothers or Meguir's plastic polishes.
So you use it before and it worked? I don't mind waiting. I'm in no hurry

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So you use it before and it worked? I don't mind waiting. I'm in no hurry

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Not the Novus, but I have used the Mothers plastic polish on turntable covers. However, they generally didn't have the level of scratches you seem to have on that cluster and still required a LOT of work.

You need something with a medium cut, then a polish finish.

bamorris2

Reaction score
I did this exact thing about a week ago. I had a lot of micro scratches from wiping the plastic while it was coated with dust. Looked horrible. I removed the cluster from the dash so I had better access to it. I tried the Novus #2, and it worked fine, but I actually had better success with one of the Griots paint polishes that I have. I made several passes on the plastic by hand. It turned out awesome!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did this exact thing about a week ago. I had a lot of micro scratches from wiping the plastic while it was coated with dust. Looked horrible. I removed the cluster from the dash so I had better access to it. I tried the Novus #2, and it worked fine, but I actually had better success with one of the Griots paint polishes that I have. I made several passes on the plastic by hand. It turned out awesome!

Did the Novus #2 cut too much or too little?

You say by hand. Microfiber?

phatboy64

Reaction score
I use the novus on all my Harley Davidson windshields and it does a great job.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish they’d just stop making instrument clusters with the softest plastic known to man.

I clean mine with an air blower and somehow it still has a couple scratches on it.

I didn't see it when I picked it up as I was too pissed about the cuts in the leather 4x4 bezel surround (made them replace), but they scratched mine when they did the HVAC TSB.

Obviously since I didn't notice right off it's not that bad, but now that I know...

Riddick

Reaction score
Those will come out but its going to take some work, especially if you are doing it by hand. As mentioned above you can also use automotive paint polish and that's what I would do. Some companies sell smaller bottles such as Chemical Guys and you can pick up a variety of compounds. https://www.chemicalguys.com/v-line-polish-compound/v-line-polish-compound.html. Start off with the more aggressive one and work up to the final polish. The Scratch X mentioned above does work but its a light to medium polish and its going to take a ton of elbow grease. and passes If you have access to an orbital polisher you can have this job done in 10-15 minutes.

Rudy35

Reaction score
Those will come out but its going to take some work, especially if you are doing it by hand. As mentioned above you can also use automotive paint polish and that's what I would do. Some companies sell smaller bottles such as Chemical Guys and you can pick up a variety of compounds. https://www.chemicalguys.com/v-line-polish-compound/v-line-polish-compound.html. Start off with the more aggressive one and work up to the final polish. The Scratch X mentioned above does work but its a light to medium polish and its going to take a ton of elbow grease. and passes If you have access to an orbital polisher you can have this job done in 10-15 minutes.
The Novus trio works well for me! :cool:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The cluster plastic is so soft it scratches if you look at it wrong. Anytime I get a used cluster to swap in, I don’t even bother buying cleaning products, putting the time and effort in, and hoping it works, I just buy a new $65 cluster lens mask.

bamorris2

Reaction score
Did the Novus #2 cut too much or too little?

You say by hand. Microfiber?
It wasn’t very aggressive, but also did not finish down very well. OTOH, the Griots stuff I used has good cut and finished flawlessly. And yes, I used a fresh microfiber cloth.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The cluster plastic is so soft it scratches if you look at it wrong. Anytime I get a used cluster to swap in, I don’t even bother buying cleaning products, putting the time and effort in, and hoping it works, I just buy a new $65 cluster lens mask.
I didn't realize you could buy a new lens separately. I wonder how well 3M protection film would work on that? It's exceptionally scratch resistant.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn’t very aggressive, but also did not finish down very well. OTOH, the Griots stuff I used has good cut and finished flawlessly. And yes, I used a fresh microfiber cloth.

I got some to try, I'll attack an old turntable cover with it. Not sure they are the same plastic, but I believe they are both acrylic given how easily they both scratch. I know the TT covers are easily breakable unlike polycarbonate.

g00fy

Reaction score
Have you got that part number? I feel like I had gotten a cluster with a beat up lense once and was considering getting a new lense but couldn't come up with the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread