Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start would not work at -9° F today with 1/2 tank of diesel

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Today it was a brisk -9° F this morning, so I hit the remote start and nada. Tried it twice and it would not work, it worked yesterday at 16° F and I have 1/2 tank of diesel in the tank currently. Ended up having to go out and firing it up the old fashioned way, boy it was not happy. Turned over slowly and grumbled then fired up but after coming to life either the power steering pump or the CP4 pump was making some horrible noises that lasted for about 20 seconds. Tried getting a video but by the time I got my phone out the noise finally subsided.

What's the point of having a remote start if it get's to cold it will not function.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Do you have a block heater? I can't imagine much of ANYTHING wants to work at -9F. I know I don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
All 4.5 Gen 6.7s have the heater installed, just not the cord (thanks, bean counters). You can order a cord from Geno's and install yourself to help the cold start.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Today it was a brisk -9° F this morning, so I hit the remote start and nada. Tried it twice and it would not work, it worked yesterday at 16° F and I have 1/2 tank of diesel in the tank currently. Ended up having to go out and firing it up the old fashioned way, boy it was not happy. Turned over slowly and grumbled then fired up but after coming to life either the power steering pump or the CP4 pump was making some horrible noises that lasted for about 20 seconds. Tried getting a video but by the time I got my phone out the noise finally subsided.

What's the point of having a remote start if it get's to cold it will not function.
Did you try again when you were able to see the instrument cluster to see if there was a message displayed? When you hit remote start, did the parking lamps flash to show that the command was received? How long did you wait before you hit remote start the second time? If it was still in the middle of warming the grid heater the first time, then you actually cancelled the remote start process the second time you did it.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I've been using the remote start here in Wisconsin for the better part of 2 months here so I know how to use it. I hit the x2 like always, lights flashed and horn made noise and went to go get ready. Came back about 4 minutes later and truck is not running. Go open garage side door hit the x2 again and nothing happens, I then go unlock the truck push on the brake pedal and hit the start button and it grumbles to life but the cab heater did not heat up this time. After it starts I shut it off close the door and hit the remote start and then it finally decides to work after I go out in the -9° weather.

I have a block heater cord left over from my 2015 3500 but I don't want to install as I'm looking at going to a power wagon and being done with the cp4 time bomb after my 2 replacements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread