Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registration fees and taxes

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Egregious.

Colorado first time reg $1,725.92 and that's not even my vet plates because their machine is broken and can't be fixed due to COVID-19. Which means it must have CHICOM parts or murder hornets running it.

There was $227 in there to cover the first month since the purchase date. $227/month ownership tax! On a truck I already paid sales tax on! I'm so F mad I could spit nails. I knew it would be north of $1,500 but this is ridiculous.

Oh, and the roads and bridges they charge an extra fee to maintain suck here.

bearcat

Reaction score
Im in the same boat going in Tues to register my 2020... 3500 I want to thank our wonderful Governor and past Governors to make Colorado another California x2

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat going in Tues to register my 2020... 3500 I want to thank our wonderful Governor and past Governors to make Colorado another California x2

I did mine online for $1.

If I didn't still have my old truck and need to keep my vet plates on it, I would have transferred those and gotten a tiny credit.

If I want new Vet plates, get this: $50. How's that for appreciation?

RTillery

Reaction score
I sold my 04 with almost half a million miles on it and the license fees were just starting to get reasonable again, sort of. Going to the DMV with a new truck now is a real gut-check. I escaped from California in 1980, and after 40 years here in the Pinery, I'm thinking about where to run away to next. We had a fairly conservative majority in Colorado back then, but things have slowly gotten worse. Politicians don't look at "of the people, by the people, for the people" any more. They look at us as a crop to be harvested so they can fund their pet ideals. Yeah, that road and bridge additional fee really fixed up the byways here in Colorado. It's like riding on smooth velvet now. (SARC)

@JC

Reaction score
Move to SD... One time 4% excise tax (sales tax) only on the difference between your trade and the new purchase price and $144/year license tab on >6,000lbs 0-9yrs old, $100/yr 10+ yrs old. Drops significantly every 2,000lbs less too for the car drivers.

There's a couple of very small title, lien, plate and wheelage fees added to the registration total but the beauty of the excise tax is municipalities and counties aren't allowed to add anything to it. So it's a flat 4% throughout the state. And only 3% on boats I just found out...

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Move to SD... One time 4% excise tax (sales tax) only on the difference between your trade and the new purchase price and $144/year license tab on >6,000lbs 0-9yrs old, $100/yr 10+ yrs old. Drops significantly every 2,000lbs less too for the car drivers.

There's a couple of very small title, lien, plate and wheelage fees added to the registration total but the beauty of the excise tax is municipalities and counties aren't allowed to add anything to it. So it's a flat 4% throughout the state. And only 3% on boats I just found out...

A lot of RV folks have been registering out of state for many years but the states are all wise to it and going after people now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I sold my 04 with almost half a million miles on it and the license fees were just starting to get reasonable again, sort of. Going to the DMV with a new truck now is a real gut-check. I escaped from California in 1980, and after 40 years here in the Pinery, I'm thinking about where to run away to next. We had a fairly conservative majority in Colorado back then, but things have slowly gotten worse. Politicians don't look at "of the people, by the people, for the people" any more. They look at us as a crop to be harvested so they can fund their pet ideals. Yeah, that road and bridge additional fee really fixed up the byways here in Colorado. It's like riding on smooth velvet now. (SARC)

I'd really love to get out of here but we're pretty grounded for a few years still, possibly longer since my retirement plans went to hell with Covid. One of our grandson's and both our careers keeps us hanging around here for the foreseeable future. I wish we could get "our" state back and I'm not even a native (came here in 92).

RTillery

Reaction score
So much to love here in Colorado. It is centrally located, so driving anywhere else in the country isn't too bad a drive. They climate, if you average it out for 12 months, is hard to beat. Hunting, boating, fishing is close. The metro area is consuming everything in sight, but you can still get away in a couple of hours to pretty remote locations. My wife just retired and I'll follow in a year of two. Then we can decide where we want to go to die, or just stay here and travel. They mountains are still a big draw for me, and the way that Cummins goes up these hills, that still just amazes me. Luv it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So much to love here in Colorado. It is centrally located, so driving anywhere else in the country isn't too bad a drive. They climate, if you average it out for 12 months, is hard to beat. Hunting, boating, fishing is close. The metro area is consuming everything in sight, but you can still get away in a couple of hours to pretty remote locations. My wife just retired and I'll follow in a year of two. Then we can decide where we want to go to die, or just stay here and travel. They mountains are still a big draw for me, and the way that Cummins goes up these hills, that still just amazes me. Luv it.

Agree on all counts. I'm in DougCo surrounded by Parker on 3 sides and we love being close in but outside town limits. It takes me 30 minutes to get to DIA when I travel for work, or it's 3 steps here at the house to my office. Wife works 3 miles over at Parker Adventist.

Still a hard pill to swallow watching what's happening to Colorado.

PRS

Reaction score
Nice truck Bearcat, same as mine. We should all get together and talk about how to turn California East back into Colorado.
Bought mine in Provo so apparently have to do my title work in person. My understanding is the Jeffco branches aren't doing in person registrations yet?

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Been trying to get tags for mine since 04/06. Took delivery 03/06 and it took 30 days for the dealership to get the Georgia title work done. Same day they notified me the title work was done all of the Tag offices closed for the virus. Temp tag expired 04/20. I was trying to get a special plate (Vietnam War) and I finally got a Tag office employee to order me one. Had to email her my DD-214 and a MV-9W form to order the plate. Plate came in Monday with an expired registration and sticker (my birthday is in May). So now I'm waiting for my local Tag office to mail me a current sticker and registration after I gave them my credit card number for another $20 for a 2021 sticker :)

bearcat

Reaction score
Nice truck Bearcat, same as mine. We should all get together and talk about how to turn California East back into Colorado.
Bought mine in Provo so apparently have to do my title work in person. My understanding is the Jeffco branches aren't doing in person registrations yet?
Its sad what all the people from everywhere have done to the beautiful state of Colorado. I am 4th generation I can only imagine what my ancestors would say if they could see what has happened to this slice of heaven. The sad part is they will move on once they have screwed this place up and look elsewhere for a another place to destroy. On a better note I live in Elbert County the DMV is in a old bank so they have a drive through where they can conduct business. Monday you can make a appt tp go inside and do business. Have a appt on tues to register my new truck and see what the damage will be

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Its sad what all the people from everywhere have done to the beautiful state of Colorado. I am 4th generation I can only imagine what my ancestors would say if they could see what has happened to this slice of heaven. The sad part is they will move on once they have screwed this place up and look elsewhere for a another place to destroy. On a better note I live in Elbert County the DMV is in a old bank so they have a drive through where they can conduct business. Monday you can make a appt tp go inside and do business. Have a appt on tues to register my new truck and see what the damage will be

Heard they've always been so lonely they're happy to see anyone there. Have a lot of friends in Elbert county.

bearcat

Reaction score
Picked up my plates only $1665.00 for title and registration.....And our lovely Governor is in Washington asking for a bailout REALLY...
Thats not including all the sales tax that what was paid already

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score

South Dakota maybe my new home.......;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally sold my 04.5. Bittersweet day. Glad I sold it but very sad to see it go. I had to look away. LOL

Anyway, now I have to see about transferring my Vet plates over to avoid the $50 fee for a new plate (the damn printing machine is STILL broken?) while I'm still waiting for the new passenger plates to show up.

In the mean time, the toll authority is sending me nasty grams about expired temp tags. <facepalm> They can block your registration for unpaid tolls, but can't work something out with the state to track this stuff?

Rappr

Reaction score
Wyoming is cheaper and just up the road

Users who are viewing this thread