Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen

Glassman

Reaction score
They did show it to me. My first thought when I looked down the tube was there was nothing wrong with it, and the mechanic agreed. He did point out a small area on the screen that looked like it got very hot, but there was no visible soot or anything that looked like an obstruction on any of it. There was no discussion of internal failures, and I don't know enough to ask those questions. A riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a conundrum...

But the dang thing seems to be working now.
I’ve suggested replacing the DPF as it makes the most logical sense. For whatever reason my dealership is dragging their feet on opening a new Star case for my specific vin as they claim there are already several similar. “Ramcares” has been NO help! They are hardly able to speak English and claim they have no supervision’s .

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve suggested replacing the DPF as it makes the most logical sense. For whatever reason my dealership is dragging their feet on opening a new Star case for my specific vin as they claim there are already several similar. “Ramcares” has been NO help! They are hardly able to speak English and claim they have no supervision’s .
Are they able to bore scope the DOC / DPF inlets?
Can get in there if you have a small enough bore scope to get through the temp probe ports.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I had a new DPF installed last week. Truck went into Regen this morning with 171 miles on it as opposed to the 40-50 miles it was taking prior to replacement. Mixed Interstate (60%) and city (40%) driving since replacement. The technician bore scoped (videoed) prior to changing and sent to engineer at Stellantis. The engineer stated that the screen looked darker than it should and approved the replacement.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Maybe if they keep having to replace DPF’s they will come up with a design where they can be cleaned. The company I worked for used to do that on our class 8 trucks at 400k miles even if they weren’t having any issues and they would reach the 1 M mile mark.

Units

Reaction score
Maybe if they keep having to replace DPF’s they will come up with a design where they can be cleaned. The company I worked for used to do that on our class 8 trucks at 400k miles even if they weren’t having any issues and they would reach the 1 M mile mark.
I have pondered that several times, would make things much simpler for owners. Im sure there is some kind of federal inspection for OTR trucks with DOT certification in regards to emissions equipment, maybe that’s why theirs is serviceable. Since private owners, unless DOT certified, inspections for emissions related equipment varies or lack there of, maybe that’s their way of making of making it harder to get rid of emissions equipment and or making you HAVE to go back to the dealership for repairs. Strange though.

Units

Reaction score
They are hardly able to speak English and claim they have no supervision’s .
Interesting, the ones that helped me had an office based in Michigan (based on the area code of their direct phone numbers) and language wise I had no problem communicating with them when I had issues with my 6.4l.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Maybe someone can correct me and I’ll stand corrected, but when a truck regens constantly or very frequent. majority of the time it’s not the DPF, but rather up stream that is causing soot loading constantly. It’s easy to say it’s a bad DPF and send you down the road. Coming back with the same problem eventually. Not fixing the actual issue/problem.

I’ll be curious for those that had a DPF replacement if you have the same issue in time, and end up back at the dealer with soot loading problem and consstant regens.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Maybe someone can correct me and I’ll stand corrected, but when a truck regens constantly or very frequent. majority of the time it’s not the DPF, but rather up stream that is causing soot loading constantly. It’s easy to say it’s a bad DPF and send you down the road. Coming back with the same problem eventually. Not fixing the actual issue/problem.

I’ll be curious for those that had a DPF replacement if you have the same issue in time, and end up back at the dealer with soot loading problem and consstant regens.
I agree with your assessment. It could possibly work like it’s supposed to for a while but in the end it will be right back where it was before the replacement if there was a problem other than the DPF. I have read some reporting of the DPFs coming apart internally though.
I would really like to know how Cummins purges these engines to remove the fuel and oil to ship them. I worked in the freight industry for a long time and I know of no trucking company that will haul these engines with fluids in them. The engines are built in the US and shipped to Mexico where they are installed in the trucks. The problems with some of them may be due to the priming procedure done at the factory.

It could be that the damage to the DPF is done the first time the engine is started and with the soot from running it just makes it progressively worse.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
Well calibrated has a sale going on so taking that as a sign that life is too short to wait out a warranty.

Placed the order tonight.

Once I get everything installed and start logging some data to compare I’ll do a separate thread with findings.
You are going to love the way your truck drives. While I don't have any data supporting more or less regens I can say for certain the truck drives better in every way in terms of power, smoothness, and its even quieter at idle. As far as efficiency the dash computer seems to be off more than usual but hand calculating is showing a solid 2 mpg pick up on average.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as efficiency the dash computer seems to be off more than usual but hand calculating is showing a solid 2 mpg pick up on average.

If the fuel injection duration tables are modified with the tunes then the EVIC mpg data will change.

AZCummins

Reaction score
You are going to love the way your truck drives. While I don't have any data supporting more or less regens I can say for certain the truck drives better in every way in terms of power, smoothness, and its even quieter at idle. As far as efficiency the dash computer seems to be off more than usual but hand calculating is showing a solid 2 mpg pick up on average.
Sorry to be off topic for the thread:

Love to hear it. Do you monitor your EGTs at all? I did a ton of reading and came across a different forum where someone mentioned after the tune he got a fixed value for sensors 1 and 3 instead of real time temps. Calibrated says it is false, so hoping that is not true.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, the ones that helped me had an office based in Michigan (based on the area code of their direct phone numbers) and language wise I had no problem communicating with them when I had issues with my 6.4l.

OT, but I can tell you from experience that with VOIP and the plethora of dedicated call center operators, there's no telling where that call was routed from or who's fielding it.

CaptainMike

Reaction score

I have the same thoughts, and that's my current concern.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

This is always a possibility when a truck has regeneration problems and gets a new DPF. Jumping to the “replace the DPF” option can temporarily rectify the issue, only for it to reappear again after a while due to an upstream issue. That’s why I’m often skeptical when people say they got a new DPF. It’s always a gamble to see whether or not it fixes the issue. Especially whenever proper diagnosis isn’t done prior. That being said however, there have been quite a few recent trucks (mostly 2022’s and some 2023’s) that have had DPF’s that exhibited premature internal failure. The screens falling apart in them or the insulation / packing coming apart causing severe back-pressure / flow issues. STAR went so far as to mention it in one of their updated advisory notes to technicians.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
It’s crazy that 15 years into the DPF era that they cannot build a reliable system, especially from a diesel company like Cummins. It would be nice if these could be manually cleaned like mentioned prior. Ill i can say is I cant wait in a few years to delete my 24 if it has these problems.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s crazy that 15 years into the DPF era that they cannot build a reliable system, especially from a diesel company like Cummins. It would be nice if these could be manually cleaned like mentioned prior. Ill i can say is I cant wait in a few years to delete my 24 if it has these problems.

Cummins doesn’t build DPF’s for Ram. Cummins doesn’t even warranty their motor with the Ram agreement.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Cummins doesn’t build DPF’s for Ram. Cummins doesn’t even warranty their motor with the Ram agreement.
Sure Stellantis buys these without a warranty but anyone who believes that Cummins engineers have zero to do with the emission design integration has their head in the sand. they likely don’t produce the parts but they totally are involved with the design.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure Stellantis buys these without a warranty but anyone who believes that Cummins engineers have zero to do with the emission design integration has their head in the sand. they likely don’t produce the parts but they totally are involved with the design.

You’re giving far too much credit to Cummins for a Ram product. The Ram 6.7 runs Ram programming, and a Ram after-treatment.

Ram has spec requirements that Cummins meets for the application as specified by Ram. For example, the Ram 6.7 currently has hydraulic lifters while the B series 6.7 Cummins sells to anyone else still runs flat tappets.

Xflight29

Reaction score
The only thing that will help the DEF issues is getting rid of Biden and get Trump in office. I just can't fantom if Biden stays in office 4 more years what he will do with recreational trucks with diesels in them.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that will help the DEF issues is getting rid of Biden and get Trump in office. I just can't fantom if Biden stays in office 4 more years what he will do with recreational trucks with diesels in them.
That’s a pipe dream. There will never be a regression in emission compliance or targeted emission reduction. The most you can hope for is a cap on current standards.

Users who are viewing this thread