Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My '22 has 15k on it, roughly half of those miles towing our 10k lb travel trailer and a few hundred hauling a gooseneck at 15k lbs. I couldn't say when or how often it has gone into regen. It's just not something I monitor. All my fuel and DEF has come from various truck stops during our travels and my local Love's when I've needed to fuel locally. My DPF gauge has never read anything other than 0% the few times I've glanced at it, although I haven't had the recent recall done to install the missing sensor so that's likely why. I just haven't seen a need to worry about it since this truck seems to burn DEF at pretty much the same rate as my 2017 did and to be honest I'm getting tired of making trips to the dealer for these silly recalls. Now if they could come up with a actual fix for my cluster/radio preset issues I might reconsider.

The Y43 DPF sensor has no bearing on the DPF gauge.

Also, DEF consumption has nothing to do with DPF soot loading. You should be using a fair amount more DEF with the 22 than the 17 thou since the 22 uses less EGR, which is a good thing.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My '22 has 15k on it, roughly half of those miles towing our 10k lb travel trailer and a few hundred hauling a gooseneck at 15k lbs. I couldn't say when or how often it has gone into regen. It's just not something I monitor. All my fuel and DEF has come from various truck stops during our travels and my local Love's when I've needed to fuel locally. My DPF gauge has never read anything other than 0% the few times I've glanced at it, although I haven't had the recent recall done to install the missing sensor so that's likely why. I just haven't seen a need to worry about it since this truck seems to burn DEF at pretty much the same rate as my 2017 did and to be honest I'm getting tired of making trips to the dealer for these silly recalls. Now if they could come up with an actual fix for my cluster/radio preset issues I might reconsider.
The sensor your truck is missing has no control over regeneration, nor does it provide data to the DPF for reading soot level. The data that shows how much soot is in the DPF comes from the differential pressure sensor, which your truck absolutely must have installed. If you only “glance at the gauge a few times”, you have a very good chance that all you will see is 0%. This is partly because you’re towing with the truck roughly 50% of the time, and you also may be looking at the gauge just after an active regeneration has completed. In either scenario, you would only see 0%. (Which is good).

nyfireman22

Reaction score
The Y43 DPF sensor has no bearing on the DPF gauge.

Also, DEF consumption has nothing to do with DPF soot loading. You should be using a fair amount more DEF with the 22 than the 17 thou since the 22 uses less EGR, which is a good thing.
The sensor your truck is missing has no control over regeneration, nor does it provide data to the DPF for reading soot level. The data that shows how much soot is in the DPF comes from the differential pressure sensor, which your truck absolutely must have installed. If you only “glance at the gauge a few times”, you have a very good chance that all you will see is 0%. This is partly because you’re towing with the truck roughly 50% of the time, and you also may be looking at the gauge just after an active regeneration has completed. In either scenario, you would only see 0%. (Which is good).
I was under the impression that the missing sensor reported the DPF condition to the PCM and by extension the dash gauge. I stand corrected. Perhaps I'll pay a little more attention to the DPF gauge to see if it ever changes. My cluster is set to display engine vitals and I very rarely change from that screen.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
My EVIC goes back to the tire screen every time it’s shut off and restarted. I hardly ever have the tires aired up to the placarded pressure. I rarely look at the engine vitals unless towing.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The DPF screen on the EVIC is both a blessing and a curse. Watching it causes all kinds of anxiety and stomach problems but it’s nice to know that the truck is in regen to know when you need to drive a little farther to try to keep it from having problems. My 18’ wasn’t equipped with the gauge and I never had any problems with it.

That I knew of.

Units

Reaction score
I said I would post an update after a fueling station change. After burning through a tank of gas from the new fueling station and adding a little more driving in the morning before jumping on the interstate to go to work, the soot loading in my DPF seems to stay about the same; the interstate drive keeps my DPF from loading real quick but it does still load. I currently average anywhere from 300 - 450 miles on an active regen depending on how much city driving I do. I will note however, yesterday I took my 14’ flatbed trailer which weighs in right at 1000# for a quick 40 mile round trip, DPF gauge was at just a hair over 1/4 full and before I made it home the gauge was at zero and did not load any on my trip to work this morning. So, it worked better than I expected hooking up to my little trailer to clean out the DPF. I’m 100% convinced that the system is operating as designed. YMMV.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I said I would post an update after a fueling station change. After burning through a tank of gas from the new fueling station and adding a little more driving in the morning before jumping on the interstate to go to work, the soot loading in my DPF seems to stay about the same; the interstate drive keeps my DPF from loading real quick but it does still load. I currently average anywhere from 300 - 450 miles on an active regen depending on how much city driving I do. I will note however, yesterday I took my 14’ flatbed trailer which weighs in right at 1000# for a quick 40 mile round trip, DPF gauge was at just a hair over 1/4 full and before I made it home the gauge was at zero and did not load any on my trip to work this morning. So, it worked better than I expected hooking up to my little trailer to clean out the DPF. I’m 100% convinced that the system is operating as designed. YMMV.
That’s how mine was doing when I used to run the two lane highway to town and back. Since it’s only 15-20 miles to town, I think that was why mine was regening that often and the learning curve on my part as to how it operates. Running the interstate whenever possible has stretched my mileage and hours out until now Im getting 24 hour regens. Getting 850 +/- for miles. I cleaned the MAF, MAP sensors, changed brand of fuel and adjusted my driving style and it seems to be working. I also changed the original air filter out because it looked oily and I don’t know where that could have come from. If it builds up early, I’ll hook up to the TT and make a 50 mile trip and it’s good to go. I think if I was running 30-40 miles one way on the trips to town, it would never need any help making it to 24 hours.

AZCummins

Reaction score
I’m also interested. Report back with your findings.
Yeah let us know what they say.
I’m curious as well. Typically a more efficient tune with run cleaner, but also cooler. That means you could reduce passive regen under normal drive cycles.
Finally got around to calling Calibrated today.

The rep claims the feedback they generally receive on the Cummins regarding regen frequency is positive. He mentioned after the 'honeymoon' phase after install when people start to fall back into normal driving habits that they see an increase in miles between regens and also see a reduction in DEF usage.

Calibrated believe this is due to the truck running more efficiently and ultimately a bit cleaner. When they were working through their CARB compliance process, they apparently did find their tunes were running cleaner than factory tuned trucks.

I am still torn on whether to go this route or order a different tune that shall not be named while they are still available and keep those parts in the garage until warranty is up.

I threw in a CTS3 to monitor EGTs more closely and have been watching my DPF gauge like a hawk this cycle to see how long I can stretch it. Anytime it gets above 25% I make a point to go for a long highway cruise with slight grade to get it back to 0. I think if I can get a long enough period between my last regen and this next one to convince myself I do not have any issues brewing and it is truly driving style/short trips that has me averaging 200 miles, I will pull the trigger on the Calibrated tune and see how it does. If nothing else it will give me a little peace of mind that comes with the improved 68rfe tune.

Glassman

Reaction score
Hope fuel and additives help some of you. I have not tried any additives yet. I’m staying away as they should not be part of the design process for optimum operating conditions. I also don’t want any false blames made by Stellantis. I have been using premium #1 diesel with no change. This was after 25 miles of highway driving at 70+ after the last regen.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 22

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope fuel and additives help some of you. I have not tried any additives yet. I’m staying away as they should not be part of the design process for optimum operating conditions. I also don’t want any false blames made by Stellantis. I have been using premium #1 diesel with no change. This was after 25 miles of highway driving at 70+ after the last regen.
Were you unloaded?
Was it raining?
Did the last regen complete successfully via highway driving?

Glassman

Reaction score
This was 7 miles later and then another 7 miles it’s already in regen again

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 20

Glassman

Reaction score
Were you unloaded?
Was it raining?
Did the last regen complete successfully via highway driving?
I was unloaded and it was dry. It doesn’t make much difference loaded or empty. Mine will not stop a regen until it is at 0%. It takes 30-40mi sometimes more to finish. Basically it takes longer to complete a regen than it does to go into regen.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I was unloaded and it was dry. It doesn’t make much difference loaded or empty. Mine will not stop a regen until it is at 0%. It takes 30-40mi sometimes more to finish. Basically it takes longer to complete a regen than it does to go into regen.
Is this a 2022?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine has been doing for months, regardless of how I drive or what fuel I use. The dealership techs replaced the DPF per STAR and I picked the truck up last Tuesday. I drove the snowy 130 mountain miles home at various speeds as the conditions required and the regen screen stayed at zero. Then yesterday I drove about 450 mostly highway miles, hitting about 30 minutes of rush hour traffic and it stayed at zero for the whole trip. I don't know if this is a fix, but it's a step in the right direction. I hope.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This is exactly what mine has been doing for months, regardless of how I drive or what fuel I use. The dealership techs replaced the DPF per STAR and I picked the truck up last Tuesday. I drove the snowy 130 mountain miles home at various speeds as the conditions required and the regen screen stayed at zero. Then yesterday I drove about 450 mostly highway miles, hitting about 30 minutes of rush hour traffic and it stayed at zero for the whole trip. I don't know if this is a fix, but it's a step in the right direction. I hope.
Did they mention what they found when they removed the faulty DPF, or show you it? Curious if yours was one of the ones that demonstrated internal failure?

AZCummins

Reaction score
Finally got around to calling Calibrated today.

The rep claims the feedback they generally receive on the Cummins regarding regen frequency is positive. He mentioned after the 'honeymoon' phase after install when people start to fall back into normal driving habits that they see an increase in miles between regens and also see a reduction in DEF usage.

Calibrated believe this is due to the truck running more efficiently and ultimately a bit cleaner. When they were working through their CARB compliance process, they apparently did find their tunes were running cleaner than factory tuned trucks.

I am still torn on whether to go this route or order a different tune that shall not be named while they are still available and keep those parts in the garage until warranty is up.

I threw in a CTS3 to monitor EGTs more closely and have been watching my DPF gauge like a hawk this cycle to see how long I can stretch it. Anytime it gets above 25% I make a point to go for a long highway cruise with slight grade to get it back to 0. I think if I can get a long enough period between my last regen and this next one to convince myself I do not have any issues brewing and it is truly driving style/short trips that has me averaging 200 miles, I will pull the trigger on the Calibrated tune and see how it does. If nothing else it will give me a little peace of mind that comes with the improved 68rfe tune.

Well calibrated has a sale going on so taking that as a sign that life is too short to wait out a warranty.

Placed the order tonight.

Once I get everything installed and start logging some data to compare I’ll do a separate thread with findings.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Well calibrated has a sale going on so taking that as a sign that life is too short to wait out a warranty.

Placed the order tonight.

Once I get everything installed and start logging some data to compare I’ll do a separate thread with findings.
You are the man.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Did they mention what they found when they removed the faulty DPF, or show you it? Curious if yours was one of the ones that demonstrated internal failure?
They did show it to me. My first thought when I looked down the tube was there was nothing wrong with it, and the mechanic agreed. He did point out a small area on the screen that looked like it got very hot, but there was no visible soot or anything that looked like an obstruction on any of it. There was no discussion of internal failures, and I don't know enough to ask those questions. A riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a conundrum...

But the dang thing seems to be working now.

Last edited:

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
The Guy that bought my 22 3500 H.O. has been in the shop for several weeks on and off with Frequent Regens and Check engine lights. Did a reflash first with no help. Now they are going to replace the DPF. Only about 17K for mileage. He's hoping that this will fix it. If not it's going down the Road.

Users who are viewing this thread