Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REFERENCE: 2019+ Power Wagon Armor

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
So I got the truck up on a lift at work today, used an allen head socket with a ratchet to try to tighten up the bolts. Got a solid semi easy half to quarter turn on all of them so they obviously weren't tight enough. Checked the rear tonight when I got home, it's not really seeping anymore but still wet even though I wiped it off and blew it dry with an air line.
I hate allen keys. Also I should've just installed at my shop instead of trying to do in the driveway.
Does anyone have the exact torque specs for the lower bolts on the rear diff cover? I hope, it hasn't changed for the 23+

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
So I got the truck up on a lift at work today, used an allen head socket with a ratchet to try to tighten up the bolts. Got a solid semi easy half to quarter turn on all of them so they obviously weren't tight enough. Checked the rear tonight when I got home, it's not really seeping anymore but still wet even though I wiped it off and blew it dry with an air line.
I hate allen keys. Also I should've just installed at my shop instead of trying to do in the driveway.
Does anyone have the exact torque specs for the lower bolts on the rear diff cover? I hope, it hasn't changed for the 23+
Blast it with brake cleaner and then see. Did mine one-hand tight with a 1/4” ratchet like I’ve every diff, when changing the F/R’s oil and no leaks.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
What do you guys think?….. @GODZ_MFG
Will they work with White Knuckles? Can’t tell for sure by looking at pics, but don’t think so.

Last edited:

silverheep

Reaction score
Will they work with White Knuckles? Can’t tell for sure by looking at pics, but don’t think so.

They look good, and I’d hoped it would cover the plastic transmission pan, but the website description states “transfer case tail housing and upper driveshaft”. Too bad, I’d have ordered immediately.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
No, they won't. White Knuckles go around both sides of the frame.

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
PC reached out to me today and told me to just try to get the bolts to 25-30 ft-lbs and that should be enough. Torqued them to 30 ft-lbs earlier, only got like a 1/2 turn out of each, maybe it will get it to stop seeping.

Something interesting I thought you guys might want to hear, PC also told me that they just had a customer with a 2023 PW order the rear AAM 12" RG only to return it and get an 11.5" RG that fit.
So... maybe 2023+'s are all different regarding 12" or 11.5" housings? Maybe Pedro at the assembly plant just picks an axle and slaps it in?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
No, they won't. White Knuckles go around both sides of the frame.
Yeah…it’s aluminum, could probably get notched around the WK bracketry but meh.
It’s the trans and crossover pipe that I would like to cover, will see what comes for that.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Quick update, I got some great design time over Thanksgiving on the new skid plates and got some problems solved! These are getting much closer and I think the springtime release is realistic. I was trying to get completely away from weldments and tubing, but that was making the parts much heavier and more expensive, so I'm bringing the tube/weldments back in on these parts. Things are looking good!

It just absolutely stuns me that as many PWs are out there no one is making a skid plate for them.
I have no doubt that a lot of guys have gotten under these trucks with the intention of making one, and then said 'screw that' when they saw what has to happen to make it work. Once you account for the driveshaft moving upwards, the brake/ABS lines moving, the starter motor, oil pan, radius arms, exhaust piping all being right in the way of certain features, it quickly becomes a major headache. The Asfir skid is the only one I've seen on the diesel trucks, and frankly after making the first iteration of our diesel skid and putting everything into place I realized that their approach to a skid is completely non-viable for any use beyond maybe blocking grass and road spray. There's NO WAY you're parking a 9,000lb truck on an unreinforced flat aluminum skid plate with dinky cantilevered front brackets. For reference, if you mount a flat skid plate planar to the trans crossmember, it is only 5/8" below the oil pan of the engine on a new truck with fresh motor mounts. Add in motor mount wear, and the collapsing of the skid plate when you hit something, and that skid plate is immediately punching straight into the oil pan, and the driver's side mount is collapsing right next to the hardmounts for the brake lines and ABS wires.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys!

Okay, so I know I said next Spring but... I made it a goal to get the design wrapped up by New Years and we're about there. I'm going to send out a more formal email soon to everyone on the contact list but I want to share a quick look at what we've been working on! I have a few elements to add and some final polishing to do (drainage, a few mounting holes, chamfers/radius, etc.) but this is very close. This will be the new Engine/Transmission skid plate package for both gas and diesel trucks and should run through all 2014-2024+ model years. We were able to get a good degree of parts commonality and I'm thinking of providing a complete package that would work on either powertrain by just using the parts for what you have and omitting the parts for the other powertrain. If you buy a different truck you can just swap the parts over.

Some changes over the earlier generation are a big emphasis on ease of installation, even more robust mounting points, and protected oil drain locations, along with obviously serving both the gas and diesel powertrains this time. We'll be machining some parts in-house for the oil drain brackets/panels and it looks like we're going to have some cool features that make maintenance really easy for both the engine oil and the transmission pan - more on that to come!

:)

1704067158927.png
1704067544679.png
1704068021239.png

silverheep

Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys!

Okay, so I know I said next Spring but... I made it a goal to get the design wrapped up by New Years and we're about there. I'm going to send out a more formal email soon to everyone on the contact list but I want to share a quick look at what we've been working on! I have a few elements to add and some final polishing to do (drainage, a few mounting holes, chamfers/radius, etc.) but this is very close. This will be the new Engine/Transmission skid plate package for both gas and diesel trucks and should run through all 2014-2024+ model years. We were able to get a good degree of parts commonality and I'm thinking of providing a complete package that would work on either powertrain by just using the parts for what you have and omitting the parts for the other powertrain. If you buy a different truck you can just swap the parts over.

Some changes over the earlier generation are a big emphasis on ease of installation, even more robust mounting points, and protected oil drain locations, along with obviously serving both the gas and diesel powertrains this time. We'll be machining some parts in-house for the oil drain brackets/panels and it looks like we're going to have some cool features that make maintenance really easy for both the engine oil and the transmission pan - more on that to come!

View attachment 67340
View attachment 67341
View attachment 67342
This looks incredible. I’m in as soon as orders are open.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys!

View attachment 67340
View attachment 67341
View attachment 67342
Wow freaking awesome! Can't wait!

UglyViking

Reaction score
@MDethloff stoked to see this man, and really digging some of the upgrades you're talking about. Quick question and feedback.

Question first. Does this armor plate work with aftermarket deep pans for cummins trucks? (add on, does it work with both 68rfe and aisin?) I assume so judging by the clearance, but hard to tell for certain.

Feedback. I personally wouldn't be interested in extra parts for changing between a gas and diesel truck. I'd assume the vast majority of buyers who would be interested in trans protection are either hemi or cummins guys, and the few that would spring for the cost of something like this are probably not changing their trucks or types often enough that it would be worth the extra. I think the better option would be to just sell the parts as an option on your site, that way I don't have to buy a whole new trans skid if I decide I want to trade down to a hemi, or up to a cummins in the future sort of thing. Even if the cost is small, or functionally 0, I'd just toss the parts honestly, so it may be worth having the option for buyers if that is something you expect to be the case.

I am really digging this V2 design man, and while I've not enjoyed the wait, it's looking like it was worth it thus far. If you want an early adopter with a cummins truck in new england, you let me know and I can give you feedback on install and how it handles contact with granite :p (I'll obviously pay for it, not looking for free, just looking for "now" ;) )

el_barto

Reaction score
This will be the new Engine/Transmission skid plate package for both gas and diesel trucks and should run through all 2014-2024+ model years. We were able to get a good degree of parts commonality and I'm thinking of providing a complete package that would work on either powertrain by just using the parts for what you have and omitting the parts for the other powertrain. If you buy a different truck you can just swap the parts
good to hear this project is almost ready for prime time.

My recommendation would to do a “BTO” (build to order) kit; where the customer selects “Hemi” or “Cummins” kit, and that triggers shipping to pack a “Base” box (the main skid and all common components) plus the Hemi or Cummins kit (depending on what is selected) so kit cost can stay a bit lower; less parts end up wasted; less parts to make=reduced shop workload, since you should be able to figure out the ratio of Hemi:Cummins kits to make/stock;, and even if you’re out of stock of one of say the Hemi kit, you can still be shipping Cummins kits

Last edited:

Sasquatch628

Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys!

View attachment 67340
View attachment 67341
View attachment 67342

Count me in!!!

MDethloff

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll share more photos as we get the design polished out and hard parts under the trucks!

@MDethloff stoked to see this man, and really digging some of the upgrades you're talking about. Quick question and feedback.

Question first. Does this armor plate work with aftermarket deep pans for cummins trucks? (add on, does it work with both 68rfe and aisin?) I assume so judging by the clearance, but hard to tell for certain.

Feedback. I personally wouldn't be interested in extra parts for changing between a gas and diesel truck. I'd assume the vast majority of buyers who would be interested in trans protection are either hemi or cummins guys, and the few that would spring for the cost of something like this are probably not changing their trucks or types often enough that it would be worth the extra. I think the better option would be to just sell the parts as an option on your site, that way I don't have to buy a whole new trans skid if I decide I want to trade down to a hemi, or up to a cummins in the future sort of thing. Even if the cost is small, or functionally 0, I'd just toss the parts honestly, so it may be worth having the option for buyers if that is something you expect to be the case.

I am really digging this V2 design man, and while I've not enjoyed the wait, it's looking like it was worth it thus far. If you want an early adopter with a cummins truck in new england, you let me know and I can give you feedback on install and how it handles contact with granite :p (I'll obviously pay for it, not looking for free, just looking for "now" ;) )
Great question on the Aisin, we need to do a fit check before I can give a positive YES, but I haven't seen any issue with that combo yet. The HO engine and Aisin trans differences should not be present in any of the areas where the skid plate lives thankfully, but I will confirm that.

We designed the skid plate to integrate deep trans pans so long as they don't sit any lower than roughly the bottom plane of the transmission crossmember, which should fit some really large capacity deep pans. In general I'd say any sanely sized deep pan should fit, but as always it's a good idea to confirm that yours sits near or above the bottom plane of the trans crossmember.
good to hear this project is almost ready for prime time.

My recommendation would to do a “BTO” (build to order) kit; where the customer selects “Hemi” or “Cummins” kit, and that triggers shipping to pack a “Base” box (the main skid and all common components) plus the Hemi or Cummins kit (depending on what is selected) so kit cost can stay a bit lower; less parts end up wasted; less parts to make=reduced shop workload, since you should be able to figure out the ratio of Hemi:Cummins kits to make/stock;, and even if you’re out of stock of one of say the Hemi kit, you can still be shipping Cummins kits
For the most part I currently have it so that if you have a Hemi you use certain parts in location A, and if you have a Cummins you use those parts in location B. Almost the entire kit is used for either truck. As it stands there may only be a couple small items that are used on the gas trucks only, so for the purpose of streamlining production and inventory it makes sense to just make one master kit. If we had larger/more expensive items dedicated to one or the other powertrain then I'm 100% with you guys that we'd want to delineate them; this might change for the final design but as it stands there isn't a substantial change to the kit here. One of the key things addressed with this version is the streamlining of production and kit assembly so we can keep them stocked and this is one of the things that'll help us do that.

Marcus

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll share more photos as we get the design polished out and hard parts under the trucks!

Great question on the Aisin, we need to do a fit check before I can give a positive YES, but I haven't seen any issue with that combo yet. The HO engine and Aisin trans differences should not be present in any of the areas where the skid plate lives thankfully, but I will confirm that.

We designed the skid plate to integrate deep trans pans so long as they don't sit any lower than roughly the bottom plane of the transmission crossmember, which should fit some really large capacity deep pans. In general I'd say any sanely sized deep pan should fit, but as always it's a good idea to confirm that yours sits near or above the bottom plane of the trans crossmember.

For the most part I currently have it so that if you have a Hemi you use certain parts in location A, and if you have a Cummins you use those parts in location B. Almost the entire kit is used for either truck. As it stands there may only be a couple small items that are used on the gas trucks only, so for the purpose of streamlining production and inventory it makes sense to just make one master kit. If we had larger/more expensive items dedicated to one or the other powertrain then I'm 100% with you guys that we'd want to delineate them; this might change for the final design but as it stands there isn't a substantial change to the kit here. One of the key things addressed with this version is the streamlining of production and kit assembly so we can keep them stocked and this is one of the things that'll help us do that.

Marcus
What are the chances I’ll be able to get one of these in Boise before March? I’d really like to avoid having to pay a local shop to do completely custom for me, but I’ve got a long cross country trip starting then and I have a lot of “fun” detours planned along the way. I need that oil pan protected!

Users who are viewing this thread