Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REFERENCE: 2019+ Power Wagon Armor

Wobly

Reaction score
Seconded. I haven't done any serious trail riding / wheeling with the truck yet as I'd like to have some protection for the transmission first. I did finally order my WK sliders this week though.
It is resolved that we will demand skid plates to protect the vital underbellies of our trail beasts. We shall stomp our feet and hold our collective breath until we have them! All in favor say aye!

jadmt

Reaction score
It is resolved that we will demand skid plates to protect the vital underbellies of our trail beasts. We shall stomp our feet and hold our collective breath until we have them! All in favor say aye!
Go back and read post 37 and look at the date

jsalbre

Reaction score
Go back and read post 37 and look at the date
I just can’t understand why there are so many companies making parts for these things but no one bothers with an engine skid.

I guess I’m just going to have to give up and make my own. Maybe I’ll sell them here since no one else wants our business.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just can’t understand why there are so many companies making parts for these things but no one bothers with an engine skid.

I guess I’m just going to have to give up and make my own. Maybe I’ll sell them here since no one else wants our business.
+1 this. I've been eagerly awaiting this thing for a long time, but it's starting to feel like a side project he's lost interest in.

Waited literal years for this thing to release, only for the first new release to be new intercooler guards. No offense, but there are already multiple options of those available, give me the one thing everyone has been asking for.

44Dan44

Reaction score
It's becoming a little cringe, just say you're not making it instead of leaving people hanging. From 2021 to summer 2023, is it not also Summer in Oregon? I'd inquire about their Contour Rack for an 8 foot bed but......
Image 7-25-23 at 10.34 AM.jpg

MDethloff

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I feel your frustrations with the lack of a skid plate. Since I started the business 6 years ago I have always had some items that were built to order, namely the skid plates and the Contour racks. Once Covid hit and demand exploded my lead times got way too long. I've been able to do development on a few products but during this time I've been so devoted to production that it's just not permitted me the time I want to stay focused on R&D. I decided that what I needed to do was to fix the biggest problem completely. That problem is the inefficiency of build-to-order items, and the solution has been to fill every order I have, and to switch to only selling in-stock items. No more backorders, no more wait times - if it's for sale, it's on the shelf and ready for a shipping label. As much as I have wanted to give you guys a skid plate, my first step has needed to be the freeing up of my time. On top of that I married a wonderful woman this summer, and I devoted a lot of time and energy to starting a family this year.

As a one man shop, all of the inefficiencies that come with build-to-order items were costing me time that I want to be able to spend on developing cool, useful new products. The fix has been to dive into just filling production and building stock, and at this point I'm almost 100% done. Including some time away for deer season I'm going to have the last of all orders wrapped up, and everything on the site in stock in a couple weeks! This is going to be a huge help in freeing up time and this winter should be very productive for R&D. I know you guys want the engine/trans skid plate, and I do too. I think I have been through 8 physical iterations of it for the new model. Between waiting for prototype parts I've been able to knock out some other things like the two intercooler guards which finally offer a good way to put lights on the front of these trucks, which I am putting the finishing touches on, but the skid plates have been my priority with what time I've had available to do design and prototyping.

It's been a loooong wait. I thought I'd be done now more than once. At a certain point I had to prioritize the existing orders I have and building stock so I could free up time to focus on R&D, and I wanted/needed to prioritize family. I apologize for how long it has taken me.

Other than wrapping up some things already in the works, the skid plate is my priority.

Thank you guys!

Marcus Dethloff

UglyViking

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I feel your frustrations with the lack of a skid plate. Since I started the business 6 years ago I have always had some items that were built to order, namely the skid plates and the Contour racks. Once Covid hit and demand exploded my lead times got way too long. I've been able to do development on a few products but during this time I've been so devoted to production that it's just not permitted me the time I want to stay focused on R&D. I decided that what I needed to do was to fix the biggest problem completely. That problem is the inefficiency of build-to-order items, and the solution has been to fill every order I have, and to switch to only selling in-stock items. No more backorders, no more wait times - if it's for sale, it's on the shelf and ready for a shipping label. As much as I have wanted to give you guys a skid plate, my first step has needed to be the freeing up of my time. On top of that I married a wonderful woman this summer, and I devoted a lot of time and energy to starting a family this year.

As a one man shop, all of the inefficiencies that come with build-to-order items were costing me time that I want to be able to spend on developing cool, useful new products. The fix has been to dive into just filling production and building stock, and at this point I'm almost 100% done. Including some time away for deer season I'm going to have the last of all orders wrapped up, and everything on the site in stock in a couple weeks! This is going to be a huge help in freeing up time and this winter should be very productive for R&D. I know you guys want the engine/trans skid plate, and I do too. I think I have been through 8 physical iterations of it for the new model. Between waiting for prototype parts I've been able to knock out some other things like the two intercooler guards which finally offer a good way to put lights on the front of these trucks, which I am putting the finishing touches on, but the skid plates have been my priority with what time I've had available to do design and prototyping.

It's been a loooong wait. I thought I'd be done now more than once. At a certain point I had to prioritize the existing orders I have and building stock so I could free up time to focus on R&D, and I wanted/needed to prioritize family. I apologize for how long it has taken me.

Other than wrapping up some things already in the works, the skid plate is my priority.

Thank you guys!

Marcus Dethloff
Life happens, we get it. You're a one man small shop that doesn't have the current financial means to just mass produce a bunch of product, also we get it. R&D can take longer than expected, especially if you're doing something pretty new, we… well you get it.

That said, do you have any idea when these new skids will be stocked? Having a deadline would be pretty nice to know when we really expect to see these.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Life happens, we get it. You're a one man small shop that doesn't have the current financial means to just mass produce a bunch of product, also we get it. R&D can take longer than expected, especially if you're doing something pretty new, we… well you get it.

That said, do you have any idea when these new skids will be stocked? Having a deadline would be pretty nice to know when we really expect to see these.
I'd rather just do it and get them them to the point I know they're ready to go into production, and then share that update with you guys. You've seen how hard it's been for me to nail down when I'll have these ready. My current ROUGH estimate is next Spring, that should give me a good amount of time. I'm not going to take deposits on these, what I intend to do is to reach out in batches to my contact list and go in order - I've always kept my contact list and if anyone has ever emailed me to be added to it, you're on there. The first guys to reach out to me will be the first guys to have an opportunity to order one.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'd rather just do it and get them them to the point I know they're ready to go into production, and then share that update with you guys. You've seen how hard it's been for me to nail down when I'll have these ready. My current ROUGH estimate is next Spring, that should give me a good amount of time. I'm not going to take deposits on these, what I intend to do is to reach out in batches to my contact list and go in order - I've always kept my contact list and if anyone has ever emailed me to be added to it, you're on there. The first guys to reach out to me will be the first guys to have an opportunity to order one.
Well, I appreciate you knowing yourself at least enough to not try and over promise.

I'm eagerly awaiting what you put together. I hope that your current date is the longest wait, but we shall see. I really dig your stuff, it's well designed and appears to be excellent quality from the 1 rack I've seen in person.

If I can offer one single unsolicited piece of advice. I see nothing kill businesses faster than poor communication. If you do aim to have this done in the spring (which I've got no doubts in your desire) it would be awesome to hear updates on status along the way, even if that's just the phase in the process, or slips in date, or whatever. I think it will give the community a lot of confidence. (I mean this as respectfully as possible, not throwing any shade)

MDethloff

Reaction score
Well, I appreciate you knowing yourself at least enough to not try and over promise.

I'm eagerly awaiting what you put together. I hope that your current date is the longest wait, but we shall see. I really dig your stuff, it's well designed and appears to be excellent quality from the 1 rack I've seen in person.

If I can offer one single unsolicited piece of advice. I see nothing kill businesses faster than poor communication. If you do aim to have this done in the spring (which I've got no doubts in your desire) it would be awesome to hear updates on status along the way, even if that's just the phase in the process, or slips in date, or whatever. I think it will give the community a lot of confidence. (I mean this as respectfully as possible, not throwing any shade)
I appreciate your feedback! Managing growth and keeping up on communication are some of the hardest things to work with as a small business I think, and these are two things that having in-process orders have really made difficult for me. I'm expecting a much less consuming day-to-day when everything the transitioned to all stocked items is done. I will keep your advice in mind.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback! Managing growth and keeping up on communication are some of the hardest things to work with as a small business I think, and these are two things that having in-process orders have really made difficult for me. I'm expecting a much less consuming day-to-day when everything the transitioned to all stocked items is done. I will keep your advice in mind.
I wish you the best man, and I'll be eagerly awaiting it.

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
Glad to hear from you on the trans/engine skids! As someone who runs a small business as well, I totally understand your headaches with fulfilling demand + attempting to balance personal life.
I'm definitely interested in getting on the list for the skid, do you want an email to sales@dethloffmfg.com ?

Keith67

Reaction score
Man, I’m gonna have to keep avoiding those small branches for a lot longer!

MDethloff

Reaction score
Glad to hear from you on the trans/engine skids! As someone who runs a small business as well, I totally understand your headaches with fulfilling demand + attempting to balance personal life.
I'm definitely interested in getting on the list for the skid, do you want an email to sales@dethloffmfg.com ?
Hey thanks man, we're on a good road here and I'm looking forward to getting to design more!
Bingo, that's the email address, shoot an email with your name, preferred contact, and truck year/model.

Thanks!

jadmt

Reaction score
Look on the bright side if you would have invested the $500 for the skid into a savings account that paid 3% interest you would have like $546 in the bank….in the amount of time it is taking

Users who are viewing this thread