Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reese Goose Box Clearance for CCSB?

Herrred

Reaction score
For the guys that have the CCSB and Goose box w/4" offset extender, have you been in any situations that you wish you had a long bed, or have regrets of NOT getting a long bed?
I really DO NOT want a long bed can you tell!
Nope.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Finally got the B&W Turnover installed and dropped my 4" offset. Picking up my 5th wheel tomorrow. Having the Reese Goosebox installed at the dealer and then hitting the road. Got the idea from this forum and some videos online.

RAM used about a gallon of Locktite Red for the OEM puck bolts. Left the OEM bolts in place and reused them. Did end up Dremelling out the Turnover holes a little. Had to shave a bolt for the locking latch.

This forum is badass!
Mostly just bumping this post.

I did the B&W install last weekend. Everything noted above is absolutely correct. If you're doing this work, keep the following in mind.

- Bring your big boy pants. The factory bolts are insanely tight. I didn't notice any locktite on mine, but I was honestly close to giving up at one point and I am a big man. Stick with it, they'll eventually come out.
- The holes in the B&W are smaller than the factory bolts. For the 4 holes that come down from the bed, you will need to widen the bolt holes out a bit.
- The factory bolt next to the B&W latching mechanism will interfere with the latch, it has to be shaved/cut down as noted above. Herrred - what did you use? This was a struggle for me because I didn't have the best tools on hand. Used an angle grinder, but there really wasn't room for it. I presume a dremel with cutoff wheel would work best.

- Big Note: If you have the factory air suspension, there is a manifold bracket that is most definitely in the way. I worked around it mostly, but it made things more challenging than it should have been and with wires and air hoses running around there, it had to be a little bit delicate at times.

I used a step ladder and ratchet strap to hook to the hitch and hold most of the weight while I positioned it.

All in all, I had some issues with random things, but the install took me about 5-6 hours. I personally wouldn't do it again, would probably spend the money to have someone else put it on. Once I was under there though, I got stubborn and had to finish it.

Now on to the goosebox install hopefully this weekend then to plan a trip to test everything out. Thanks for the tips Herrred, it would have been painful to not notice the bolt holes needing to be opened up a bit and trying to fight with it under the truck before finding that out. Glad I saw your post ahead of the install.

Herrred

Reaction score
Mostly just bumping this post.

I did the B&W install last weekend. Everything noted above is absolutely correct. If you're doing this work, keep the following in mind.

- Bring your big boy pants. The factory bolts are insanely tight. I didn't notice any locktite on mine, but I was honestly close to giving up at one point and I am a big man. Stick with it, they'll eventually come out.
- The holes in the B&W are smaller than the factory bolts. For the 4 holes that come down from the bed, you will need to widen the bolt holes out a bit.
- The factory bolt next to the B&W latching mechanism will interfere with the latch, it has to be shaved/cut down as noted above. Herrred - what did you use? This was a struggle for me because I didn't have the best tools on hand. Used an angle grinder, but there really wasn't room for it. I presume a dremel with cutoff wheel would work best.

- Big Note: If you have the factory air suspension, there is a manifold bracket that is most definitely in the way. I worked around it mostly, but it made things more challenging than it should have been and with wires and air hoses running around there, it had to be a little bit delicate at times.

I used a step ladder and ratchet strap to hook to the hitch and hold most of the weight while I positioned it.

All in all, I had some issues with random things, but the install took me about 5-6 hours. I personally wouldn't do it again, would probably spend the money to have someone else put it on. Once I was under there though, I got stubborn and had to finish it.

Now on to the goosebox install hopefully this weekend then to plan a trip to test everything out. Thanks for the tips Herrred, it would have been painful to not notice the bolt holes needing to be opened up a bit and trying to fight with it under the truck before finding that out. Glad I saw your post ahead of the install.
No worries, Brother Bull. Glad to pay it forward. The sheer tonnage of help I have received from this forum is incalculable.

I used all Dremmel attachments for my work. Hindsight being what it is, I would absolutley have had a shop do this and save the knuckles, strained back and aggravation. We have an outfitters shop 20 minutes from me and they have seen an increase of RAM brothers and sisters bringing in their rigs to switch to the B&W. I did have the dealer install the Goosebox, just for warranty purposes and the fact that I am not getting any younger.

I have been towing my 5er a couple of times a month since the install and will never go back to a kingpin. I usually get a few onlookers when I am hitching/unhitching and all are stunned at the ease of emptying the bed. When I remove and drop my gooseball into my underseat storage, that usually gets a few nods of approval and questions as to where to buy a Goosebox.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I'll also update with my experience. Ended up switching to the Reese Goosebox on my 2022 Ram 3500 mega cab sb. I tow a 21 Keystone 364bhl. I'm using the factory ball so no offset. I previously used the Andersen. With the new setup I found my turning clearance to be about the same as it was with the Andersen. I definitely cannot get to 90, but never needed to before. I get pretty close, but the stopping point is actually my Bak Revolver cover which comes back from the cab about a foot when rolled up. Very happy with the Goosebox. Rides a little bit better than the Andersen and with the cameras hookup is easy enough. With my camper as level as I can get it I have about 6" between the rails.

Attachments

• 20220805_122526.jpg
    20220805_122526.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 56

Jeff Swearingen

Reaction score
Is your turnover hitch and offset to achieve this? I am buying a 5th wheel next year and currently have a turnover hitch on my 2020 3500 megacab with the short bed and tapping the cab is my worst fear so I am wondering if I should get rid of the turnover hitch I have now and getting and offset B&W gooseneck ball.

Herrred

Reaction score
Is your turnover hitch and offset to achieve this? I am buying a 5th wheel next year and currently have a turnover hitch on my 2020 3500 megacab with the short bed and tapping the cab is my worst fear so I am wondering if I should get rid of the turnover hitch I have now and getting and offset B&W gooseneck ball.
I wanted as much cab clearance as possible. I have yet to need such a drastic angle, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than wish I had it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wanted as much cab clearance as possible. I have yet to need such a drastic angle, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than wish I had it.
Me too thats why i have an 8ft bed :p Lol

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Curious, everyone is showing pictures of their rigs in tight turns with the goosebox and an off set 4" ball, but no one has mentioned the trailer width. Does anyone have this set up with a 102" trailer ? I would like to go this route, but use the Gen-y 5" offset goose puc in the RAM puc goose hole. Does anyone have this set up with a 102" trailer ? Trying to find answers before I spend the Big Bucks $$$.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Curious, everyone is showing pictures of their rigs in tight turns with the goosebox and an off set 4" ball, but no one has mentioned the trailer width. Does anyone have this set up with a 102" trailer ? I would like to go this route, but use the Gen-y 5" offset goose puc in the RAM puc goose hole. Does anyone have this set up with a 102" trailer ? Trying to find answers before I spend the Big Bucks $$$.
I have not seen many 5th wheels that were not 102 made in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Maybe you should check around some more. I have a friend who has a two year old Jayco that is not 102, and I assume there are more.
A 5th wheel? It must be a pretty small one if its not 8’6”

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Wanted to add my experience. I tow a 21 Cougar 364bhl using the Reese goose box and factory ball. Running this setup for about a year now and no issues. Can't get to 90 degrees, but also haven't needed to. I also have a 50 gal titan tank in the bed and no issues with clearance. Mega cab short bed. Came from an Andersen and would never go back.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Wanted to add my experience. I tow a 21 Cougar 364bhl using the Reese goose box and factory ball. Running this setup for about a year now and no issues. Can't get to 90 degrees, but also haven't needed to. I also have a 50 gal titan tank in the bed and no issues with clearance. Mega cab short bed. Came from an Andersen and would never go back.
Thanks for your response

Jeff Swearingen

Reaction score
I'll also update with my experience. Ended up switching to the Reese Goosebox on my 2022 Ram 3500 mega cab sb. I tow a 21 Keystone 364bhl. I'm using the factory ball so no offset. I previously used the Andersen. With the new setup I found my turning clearance to be about the same as it was with the Andersen. I definitely cannot get to 90, but never needed to before. I get pretty close, but the stopping point is actually my Bak Revolver cover which comes back from the cab about a foot when rolled up. Very happy with the Goosebox. Rides a little bit better than the Andersen and with the cameras hookup is easy enough. With my camper as level as I can get it I have about 6" between the rails.
Thanks for the information. I have a 2020 3500 Megacab and picking up a 2015 Keystone Cougar 327 RES next week after I install the Reese Goose box. How close to 90 can you get with no offset? I bought the B&W 4 in offset ball just in case I want to switch it out with the factory goose ball but I may return it if I don't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread