Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reese Goose Box Clearance for CCSB?

Herrred

Reaction score
I'm getting a 16k Reese Goose Box for my future RV for connecting my 2021 3500 CCSB w/factory puck. Does anyone have any experience with cab/bed side clearance problems on turns? Most of what I have seen in my research shows it to be minimal (no 90 degree turns, 85 at best) and I am more than experienced enough to be able to avoid the need for a 90 degree turn. I'm getting the B&W Goose Ball and cannot find any goose ball offset from any manufacturer that fit the factory puck.

I am not interested in the AUH setup, I want my bed clear. I don't want to tick off the AUH fans, it's just not for me. I only want to deal with the goose ball. Thanks for any advice!

PRS

Reaction score
You could remove the factory ball receptacle and install a B&W turnover ball receptacle. As you probably know they offer a 4" offset ball that has a square base so it will not fit the factory receptacle.
The Goosebox may also give you side rail clearance issues as well. I had a goosebox on my FW and the pinbox wings attached to the trailer would contact the siderails at anything more than 60 degree turns. I considered using a taller ball but then the trailer would have been nose high all the time.

Reaction score
There is no offset ball for the factory puck system as it is round. Being round it would be impossible to keep it from spinning. I swapped my factory gooseneck hitch for a B&W turnover ball as I wanted to use the offset. It was fairly easy. The hardest part is the factory bolts that point down from the top of the crossmember are larger than the holes on the B&W. I had to cut those off which was fairly difficult as they are large and there is limited space. I guess the other option was to unbolt and lift the bed, but that didn’t seem easier.

The B&W offset is awesome. I use the AUH and wanted to shift it forward for better weight distribution

Allrider

Reaction score
I'm getting a 16k Reese Goose Box for my future RV for connecting my 2021 3500 CCSB w/factory puck. Does anyone have any experience with cab/bed side clearance problems on turns? Most of what I have seen in my research shows it to be minimal (no 90 degree turns, 85 at best) and I am more than experienced enough to be able to avoid the need for a 90 degree turn. I'm getting the B&W Goose Ball and cannot find any goose ball offset from any manufacturer that fit the factory puck.

I am not interested in the AUH setup, I want my bed clear. I don't want to tick off the AUH fans, it's just not for me. I only want to deal with the goose ball. Thanks for any advice!
I have the same setup. I have never even come close to the cab. Plenty of bed clearance.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I run the B&W offset ball in my last CCSB and will in my new MCSB. You will have plenty of clearance with the goosebox. And with this setup i could get the truck very close to 90 degrees as long as you are on relatively flat ground. I'll post a picture later but its plenty of room

Thompsre08

Reaction score
the other thing i forgot to mention is you cant have any bed cover with rails that sit inside the bedrail. it will more than likely kiss those rails on tight turns.

Herrred

Reaction score
the other thing i forgot to mention is you cant have any bed cover with rails that sit inside the bedrail. it will more than likely kiss those rails on tight turns.
I have an ARE Z Series that will be removed when towing. Pure empty stock bed when towing.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the previous truck setup. I’ll be doing the same when my new mega cab shows up in the next 2 weeks.

Attachments

• FC382984-E49B-47DE-9852-F1ADA9DE241A.jpeg
    FC382984-E49B-47DE-9852-F1ADA9DE241A.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 203
  • EBAB06F4-DB6B-4B34-9BCD-B060BE681906.jpeg
    EBAB06F4-DB6B-4B34-9BCD-B060BE681906.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 200
  • A3D85AFB-13DA-4BB7-8E2A-D13BB3544BBD.jpeg
    A3D85AFB-13DA-4BB7-8E2A-D13BB3544BBD.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 2A3724F1-F39D-48BE-9468-1CB9997030A9.jpeg
    2A3724F1-F39D-48BE-9468-1CB9997030A9.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 188

Silverbeard

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Ram 3500 cc sb and have a four section Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover. When turned about as far as I want to, there is still some clearance between the back of the Goosebox and the tonneau rails. Is there a chance of hitting the rail? Yes, there is. Ive been towing with sb trucks and the BakFlip MX4 for five years and thousands of miles, and so far, haven’t hit the rails yet. Maybe someday I will or maybe not.

Attachments

• 061E3658-7F57-4C6B-8ACA-3230A7F265AF.jpeg
    061E3658-7F57-4C6B-8ACA-3230A7F265AF.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 1BE950A6-E5A9-4765-B1CB-08D4C0E9B957.jpeg
    1BE950A6-E5A9-4765-B1CB-08D4C0E9B957.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 193

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Ram 3500 cc sb and have a four section Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover. When turned about as far as I want to, there is still some clearance between the back of the Goosebox and the tonneau rails. Is there a chance of hitting the rail? Yes, there is. Ive been towing with sb trucks and the BakFlip MX4 for five years and thousands of miles, and so far, haven’t hit the rails yet. Maybe someday I will or maybe not.
Yep yours is a perfect example. They may hit and they may not. There is no one size fits all. I was just trying to say that any cover with those rails inherently reduces the opening width of your bed which may cause an issue… or not an issue. Lol

Herrred

Reaction score
Finally got the B&W Turnover installed and dropped my 4" offset. Picking up my 5th wheel tomorrow. Having the Reese Goosebox installed at the dealer and then hitting the road. Got the idea from this forum and some videos online.

RAM used about a gallon of Locktite Red for the OEM puck bolts. Left the OEM bolts in place and reused them. Did end up Dremelling out the Turnover holes a little. Had to shave a bolt for the locking latch.

This forum is badass!

Attachments

• 20220313_184053.jpg
    20220313_184053.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 82

ATX

Reaction score
Finally got the B&W Turnover installed and dropped my 4" offset. Picking up my 5th wheel tomorrow. Having the Reese Goosebox installed at the dealer and then hitting the road. Got the idea from this forum and some videos online.

RAM used about a gallon of Locktite Red for the OEM puck bolts. Left the OEM bolts in place and reused them. Did end up Dremelling out the Turnover holes a little. Had to shave a bolt for the locking latch.

This forum is badass!
How did your turning radius turn out?

ATX

Reaction score
For the guys that have the CCSB and Goose box w/4" offset extender, have you been in any situations that you wish you had a long bed, or have regrets of NOT getting a long bed?
I really DO NOT want a long bed can you tell!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For the guys that have the CCSB and Goose box w/4" offset extender, have you been in any situations that you wish you had a long bed, or have regrets of NOT getting a long bed?
If you dont want a long bed you will be fine but im the opposite i hate the short box!

Reactions: ATX

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Negative. I’ve put about 5,000 miles on my fifth wheel between my ‘17 CCSB and my ‘22 MC and have yet to be in a predicament where I needed 90 degrees. If you are conscientious about your route and where you need to turn around along with making sure your trailer hitch combo give
You enough bed rail clearance you will be fine. I’m running 10” of bedrail clearance with my goosebox and 4” offset hitch and have been very happy

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the setup and turns with a short bed and not using any type of offset ball?

Users who are viewing this thread