Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall VB6 - 2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
Just got back a bit ago from having TSB 18-059-20 completed. VB6 was already done before I bought my truck so I can't compare it to that. Just my initial impressions on the 8 mile drive I made afterwards. If you have not had this TSB done, do it! The engine is much smoother, throttle response seems improved, and I didn't feel any surging. It just overall "felt" better to drive. I might be crazy but I think it may have removed some of the throaty engine noise, which I'm kind of disappointed about. Once I drive my normal commute tomorrow I'll be able to confirm, as I know the areas that I typically feel the surging the most.

Oh, and I got the new bed step installed. They had one in stock!

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
Just got back a bit ago from having TSB 18-059-20 completed. VB6 was already done before I bought my truck so I can't compare it to that. Just my initial impressions on the 8 mile drive I made afterwards. If you have not had this TSB done, do it! The engine is much smoother, throttle response seems improved, and I didn't feel any surging. It just overall "felt" better to drive. I might be crazy but I think it may have removed some of the throaty engine noise, which I'm kind of disappointed about. Once I drive my normal commute tomorrow I'll be able to confirm, as I know the areas that I typically feel the surging the most.

Oh, and I got the new bed step installed. They had one in stock!
Smooth as silk! Love it!

Throaty growl is still good!

RTillery

Reaction score
I'm a little PO'd about this whole VB6 fiasco. I kept getting the recall notice and finally had it done last June with a little less than 30K on the odometer. It seemed to be just OK. My DPF guage in the cluster never gets off zero and I never know when it is going into regen now. As the weather got colder, I noticed the slight surging, especially on a modest grade. Rarely, but once in a while, I'd get a shudder. Just like others have described.

Soooo, I read about this TSB fix and go in to get an update. I now have 40,000 on the clock. They are telling me I'm out of warranty and will have to charge me an hour @ $189 :mad:

With my truck running fine, FCA tell me to come in for this recall. Like a good citizen, I do it.
It stinks. o_O Now they want to charge me for a problem they created. Guess the name "stealership" fits?

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
That has nothing to do with you 36,000 mile standard warranty! That TSB has to do with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, so I would contact "Ram Cares" on here and see if you can get you some help there. If you did already pay for the TSB you can try going here for reimbursment.

Owners may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online. You can also mail your original receipts and proof of payment to the following mailing address:

FCA US LLC Customer Assistance
P.O.Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007
ATTN: Recall Reimbursement

RTillery

Reaction score
Thanks, I walked away and thought about it. I too thought this should be under the 100K powertrain warranty. Maybe try a different dealer?

RTillery

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I will keep this in mind and try to get an appointment in the next week or two.

steve49

Reaction score
When I bought my 2019 2500 CTD, the dealership had already flashed the VB6 recall. I now have about 7800 miles on the truck, and have topped off the DEF tank about three times, with 3 gallons each time. So, for those of you that have had the VB6 for sometime and then had the updated TSB 18-059-20 completed, and now have had time/miles to compare the two updates, is the TSB a worthwhile improvement?

RTillery

Reaction score
Just a follow up on the VB6 recall and the TSB fix. I just drove from Colorado to Upstate New York. Truck is definitely running better after the TSB. Here's another thread on this:

I got right at 20 MPGs and used less than half a DEF tank (on the gauge) for over 1900 miles. I think she's running as good as it did new. Other than the CP4 issues I keep reading about, I'm pretty happy at 45,000+ miles.

DCRobert

Reaction score
I first heard that after VB6, DEF usage doubles. Now, reading all of theother issues everybody seems to be having post VB6, I'm not doing it! I do have ave a slight hesitation going up hills, but I just down shift one gear and it perks up again. No big deal.

flan

Reaction score
I first heard that after VB6, DEF usage doubles. Now, reading all of theother issues everybody seems to be having post VB6, I'm not doing it! I do have ave a slight hesitation going up hills, but I just down shift one gear and it perks up again. No big deal.
I had zero issues post VB6, including DEF consumption.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Fake news.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I had zero issues post VB6, including DEF consumption.
Same here.
Also if your truck still got a CP4, you can't do the HPFP recall and not do the VB6. If your is a later MY that came with a CP3.3 then VB6 likely has been done

Users who are viewing this thread