Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall VB6 - 2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration

D

Deleted member 80

Generically, that's a code for an issue with injector #4 or it's circuit.

1stnlastdodge

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced poor performance and the feeling that sometimes your truck is bouncing or bucking after this recall? I am and now 200 miles after the recall I have CEL P0204. Anyone know what is going on?

The truck just feels gutless now and sucks to drive. I would give anything to go back to how it was before this recall and just avoid getting it done. I loved driving prior.
First, is CEL P0204 a ECM problem, or electrical issue with the injector? Not sure. My 2019 ram 3500 cummins/aisin shifts, surges, hesitates, loss in power, and loss in MPG. All as soon as the dealer did the VB6 recall. You are not the only one. Ram says no fix at this time... SMH

Huskerz1

Reaction score
First, is CEL P0204 a ECM problem, or electrical issue with the injector? Not sure. My 2019 ram 3500 cummins/aisin shifts, surges, hesitates, loss in power, and loss in MPG. All as soon as the dealer did the VB6 recall. You are not the only one. Ram says no fix at this time... SMH

What I found.

What the P0204 code means. The Engine Control Module (ECM) runs checks on all systems at startup, and many times a second while the vehicle is running. P0204 tells technicians a malfunction was found for cylinder 4 injector circuit.

papachiax6

Reaction score
It's been a while since I had the "fix" completed, I wanted to drive it and haul with it and then post my observations. After picking up the truck from the dealer and and verifying that they did install the update I headed for the hills. I noticed that the surging was all but gone, hard shifting was still present. overall performance seemed to be better. Around town mpg improved slightly after 3 tanks of fuel. SO that was a good thing. Now for the tow. Sadly the surging is still there. Not to the extent it was, but it is still there. Pulling 16k, speeds steady at 63-65 mph , a constant surge is still felt 4-5. In 6th gear @ around 1800 rpm's you could almost set a clock to the rhythm of the surge. This has to be a fuel thing with the AISN shift points. Someone help me out here, but I believe that the AISN is monitoring fuel pressure’s to help determine shift points. I drove with cruise on and off. On was worse. Tow/Haul no difference. Better if using manual shifting. So that's the routine I'm following now. With the new safety recall coming out Oct 12 that my truck may catch fire and to take it to the dealers ASAP. What's next. So far my experience with the Ram product has been disappointing to say the least.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
With the new safety recall coming out Oct 12 that my truck may catch fire and to take it to the dealers ASAP. What's next. So far my experience with the Ram product has been disappointing to say the least.

Which recall is that?

If it's W57, that recall is for C&C trucks only. You can read more in the below thread, including links to the actual recall and supporting detail documents showing it is C&C trucks only.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
It's been a while since I had the "fix" completed, I wanted to drive it and haul with it and then post my observations. After picking up the truck from the dealer and and verifying that they did install the update I headed for the hills. I noticed that the surging was all but gone, hard shifting was still present. overall performance seemed to be better. Around town mpg improved slightly after 3 tanks of fuel. SO that was a good thing. Now for the tow. Sadly the surging is still there. Not to the extent it was, but it is still there. Pulling 16k, speeds steady at 63-65 mph , a constant surge is still felt 4-5. In 6th gear @ around 1800 rpm's you could almost set a clock to the rhythm of the surge. This has to be a fuel thing with the AISN shift points. Someone help me out here, but I believe that the AISN is monitoring fuel pressure’s to help determine shift points. I drove with cruise on and off. On was worse. Tow/Haul no difference. Better if using manual shifting. So that's the routine I'm following now. With the new safety recall coming out Oct 12 that my truck may catch fire and to take it to the dealers ASAP. What's next. So far my experience with the Ram product has been disappointing to say the least.

What recall are you referring to coming out in October? Did you have just the recall completed or the TSB too?
Feel free to send us a message with your VIN if you would like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mustangguy289

Reaction score
Update on mine.....

So.. I had all the recalls done on my 2019 Ram 2500 1000 miles ago. Since then I have felt a slight bucking/surging when in top gear while slowly accelerating. I have also had the check engine come on 3 times with code P0402 which the dealer showed is a code for excessive EGR flow. The light finally stayed on long enough to get it to the dealer and tt is at the shop now. I told the dealer I would do anything to get my original stock tune back before the recalls. I told them the recalls took it from where I loved driving the truck to hating the truck. I am currently at 19000 miles and had the recalls performed at 18,000 miles.

BTW he told me they have had 12 CP4 failures and all 12 were covered under full warranty except for a few that had aftermarket larger fuel tanks. FCA would not cover the additional cleaning fee for the larger aftermarket tanks. He also said he is seeing the CP4 failures more on the 2020's and not the 2019's and all had 35,000 or less miles on them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

Assuming they are talking about larger replacement fuel tanks, like my Titan 55, and not auxiliary tanks, since there is no return flow to an aux tank? If so, and since people like me were buying those tanks because Ram didn't even offer the option until after I bought my truck, that is pretty priceless.

mustangguy289

Reaction score
Assuming they are talking about larger replacement fuel tanks, like my Titan 55, and not auxiliary tanks, since there is no return flow to an aux tank? If so, and since people like me were buying those tanks because Ram didn't even offer the option until after I bought my truck, that is pretty priceless.

I am just restating what he said. I would imagine the larger replacement tanks is what he meant as he did reference the return flow.

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
VB6 was done before I bought my truck. Thought I may have noticed surging once or twice, but it was so subtle and brief, I figured it was in my head from reading this thread. Now that we have cooler temperatures I've noticed the surging. Below 50 degrees, low RPM, slight grade, it is apparent. It's a "light" surging, but it is definitely there. Transmission shifting is still funky, and that happens quite often. 3900 miles on the truck.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
VB6 was done before I bought my truck. Thought I may have noticed surging once or twice, but it was so subtle and brief, I figured it was in my head from reading this thread. Now that we have cooler temperatures I've noticed the surging. Below 50 degrees, low RPM, slight grade, it is apparent. It's a "light" surging, but it is definitely there. Transmission shifting is still funky, and that happens quite often. 3900 miles on the truck.

Have you brought up the TSB to your dealer? It was mentioned earlier in the thread, the number is TSB 18-059-20. Might be worth bringing up to them.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
Have you brought up the TSB to your dealer? It was mentioned earlier in the thread, the number is TSB 18-059-20. Might be worth bringing up to them.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Not yet. It doesn't really bother me much, but there is room for improvement. Local dealer (not purchasing dealer) is great and very helpful. So I'll probably talk to them. Additionally, the amount of DEF this thing uses is stupid crazy. Still, overall, I'm happy with the truck.

Cummingeddon

Reaction score
For those that have had TSB 1805920 applied (I ended up updated to PCM 52401932AI), have you noticed any change to your operating temperatures or, in particular, how well your DPF regens passively?

While in for the bed step recall, I asked specifically about any TCM updates only (hopefully to address the rough 2-3 shift) and said I didn’t want any other updates without understanding them first. I didn’t know about TSB 1805920 at that point. Well, they flashed the update from AH to AI anyway. Now, my issue seems to be that things are running cooler (possibly good, right), but I’m finding that my DPF is filling up much faster than it used to and even after 2 hours of 65-75 mph driving my filter will clear only about 10%. In the past, a drive like that would clear out the DPF completely according to the instrument cluster DPF gauge, and that’s without a scheduled regen spraying fuel to super heat the exhaust. I used to see exhaust temps in excess of 600 degrees regularly when driving at those speeds for over 20-30 mins and that’s when the DPF gauge would start dropping, so I’m assuming that was the passive regen threshold. After the update to version AI, my temps hover around 550-570 and my DPF just keeps filling up. I haven’t been towing yet, but that 2 hour drive was in Texas hill country.

Is this possibly the PCM just re-learning after the update? Or another potential problem? I used to be able to rely on the DPF system to stay pretty clear unless I had been idling the truck for extended periods or in stop-and-go traffic, etc. These updates should be elective; they seem to cause issues as much as they fix any.

rsday75

Reaction score
I had TSB- 18-059-20 applied yesterday.
There is a section of road that always gave the surging. So far, so good. Truck feels more like it did before the VB6 recall to me, but only a small amount of driving so far.
Of course, no update on mileage or DEF usage this early.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I had TSB- 18-059-20 applied yesterday.
There is a section of road that always gave the surging. So far, so good. Truck feels more like it did before the VB6 recall to me, but only a small amount of driving so far.
Of course, no update on mileage or DEF usage this early.

I had TSB 18-059-20 applied yesterday, and I am experiencing the same results as @rsday75. There was a section of roadway that always caused the surging, but after the update the truck drove perfectly smoothly. The truck definitely feels like it did before the VB6 recall.

I don't have an update on mileage or DEF usage, yet, but I am very happy with the update so far.

thestuarts

Reaction score
For those that have had TSB 1805920 applied (I ended up updated to PCM 52401932AI), have you noticed any change to your operating temperatures or, in particular, how well your DPF regens passively?

While in for the bed step recall, I asked specifically about any TCM updates only (hopefully to address the rough 2-3 shift) and said I didn’t want any other updates without understanding them first. I didn’t know about TSB 1805920 at that point. Well, they flashed the update from AH to AI anyway. Now, my issue seems to be that things are running cooler (possibly good, right), but I’m finding that my DPF is filling up much faster than it used to and even after 2 hours of 65-75 mph driving my filter will clear only about 10%. In the past, a drive like that would clear out the DPF completely according to the instrument cluster DPF gauge, and that’s without a scheduled regen spraying fuel to super heat the exhaust. I used to see exhaust temps in excess of 600 degrees regularly when driving at those speeds for over 20-30 mins and that’s when the DPF gauge would start dropping, so I’m assuming that was the passive regen threshold. After the update to version AI, my temps hover around 550-570 and my DPF just keeps filling up. I haven’t been towing yet, but that 2 hour drive was in Texas hill country.

Is this possibly the PCM just re-learning after the update? Or another potential problem? I used to be able to rely on the DPF system to stay pretty clear unless I had been idling the truck for extended periods or in stop-and-go traffic, etc. These updates should be elective; they seem to cause issues as much as they fix any.

EDIT:
TSB 18-059-20 fixes a problem with the DEF guage showing incorrect results, so your "before" behavior was misleading. The filter was not really clear when the guage was lying to you. The TSB states, "Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) level gauge inaccurate."

Ignore what I said. The DEF guage was inaccurate, not the DPF filter guage.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the filter and the def gauge are two different things.. do you mean dPf gauge?

Users who are viewing this thread