Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall VB6 - 2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
But I also had the bed step recall and they told me the same thing: parts on back order except they left the existing step on mine. Maybe I look a helluva lot older and decrepit than you!
They left my step on too during the most recent dealer interface. I sure as heck don't like looking in the mirror these days, especially in the morning so maybe you're onto something. ;)

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Multiple cold starts later and I'm convinced they put a lumpy cam in the engine. Cold start idle is rough, quite rough. The truck is literally bouncing around. Idle smooths out as engine temp approaches 90 degrees F. Strike 1! :mad:
More post VB6 weirdness... On every cold start when OAT is warm enough to lock the grid heater out of the start sequence. Engine cranks and just as the fire is lit, or milliseconds after, a brief but disconcerting sound emanating from the engine compartment. Hard to describe but akin to a big feller dry heaving or coughing up a lung. 18C with grid heater activated... nuthin. 22C with no grid heater... eww, WTF was that? Dunno, but I no like it. Strike 2? :rolleyes:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
More post VB6 weirdness... On every cold start when OAT is warm enough to lock the grid heater out of the start sequence. Engine cranks and just as the fire is lit, or milliseconds after, a brief but disconcerting sound emanating from the engine compartment. Hard to describe but akin to a big feller dry heaving or coughing up a lung. 18C with grid heater activated... nuthin. 22C with no grid heater... eww, WTF was that? Dunno, but I no like it. Strike 2? :rolleyes:

Are you planning on going back to the dealer? Feel free to send us a PM if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

KTM Rider 153

Reaction score
Have you gone back to the dealer for a diagnosis? They have technical resources they can reach out too if they are having trouble diagnosing the concerns. Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN and more details if you'd like some further assistance.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
When will Ram have a fix for the surging?? My dealer, Karl Malone Ram in Heber Utah is full of a bunch if worthless idiots!! All I get is the runaround for my sales guy, both GM’s and the service guy. There has to be a fix available!! I don’t want this $75k pile of s%}| !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
VB6 was done before I purchased the truck. I never noticed any surging or other issues.

I just noticed the surging twice this past week. It is subtle, but it is there. Interesting because I had the TCM updated on Friday.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
When will Ram have a fix for the surging?? My dealer, Karl Malone Ram in Heber Utah is full of a bunch if worthless idiots!! All I get is the runaround for my sales guy Mike, both GM’s Cody and Gary and the service guy Sam. There has to be a fix available!! I don’t want this $75k pile of s%}| !!!!

When was the last time your truck was at the dealer? Can you send us a PM with your VIN?
Kaitlin
Ram Cares

KTM Rider 153

Reaction score
Do you have the H/O? Or Standard? Seems like a lot of people that are having the surging have the h/o with aisin trans. Including myself.
That’s what I have also. I’ve had problems since the day I bought it. Total dealer runaround!! I can’t get a straight answer from the stealership or FCA.
I saw this on the Facebook regarding the surge, looks like they are at least acknowledging it.

View attachment 5427
Yep, my dealer got that 6 weeks ago. What an effing joke!!

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Wuz wondering about the grid heater thing. At 18C, the grid heater is activated for about five seconds. At 22C, step on the brake and push the button - engine crank is instantaneous. But maybe the disconcerting sound (hereafter named "GRONK") I'm hearing is not associated with the grid heater. It was warm enough this morning and fer sh_ts & giggles, I toggled the ignition to 'RUN' and let it set fer about five to ten seconds before starting. No GRONK fm the engine bay! Hmm... I'm thinking now that GRONK is associated with an incomplete combustion cycle. I duuno. It's only been manifest since the truck was infected with VB6. :(

flan

Reaction score
Wuz wondering about the grid heater thing. At 18C, the grid heater is activated for about five seconds. At 22C, step on the brake and push the button - engine crank is instantaneous. But maybe the disconcerting sound (hereafter named "GRONK") I'm hearing is not associated with the grid heater. It was warm enough this morning and fer sh_ts & giggles, I toggled the ignition to 'RUN' and let it set fer about five to ten seconds before starting. No GRONK fm the engine bay! Hmm... I'm thinking now that GRONK is associated with an incomplete combustion cycle. I duuno. It's only been manifest since the truck was infected with VB6. :(
Is your ac on? Maybe the compressor.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Is your ac on? Maybe the compressor.
Nope. Done this exercise with the HVAC on and off. No diff. The issue at this point appears to be related to the length of time the in tank fuel pump has been operating. If I let it run for 5-10 seconds before cranking, engine starts fine. If I hit the start button shortly after stepping of the brake... GRONK!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me the dealer performed the VB6 recall WITHOUT my permission, and I have it docummented that I refused the recall. The truck was in the shop for the latest TCM flash for the bucking when upshifting from 2 to 3rd, and I explicitly explained I only wanted the TCM update. If I have any problems with the VB6 virus, I will lemon law the truck. I went through $10K dealing with the reflashing of my 07 C&C, in 2009, due to surging when in regen, after it was reflashed to the latest engine recalibration for the early 6.7. I never had any issues with my C&C until the refresh. At first, the dealer thought it was a bad throttle position sensor. The surging was so bad, it took out my stock clutch. I had to convert to the SMF and a dual disk clutch to hold the power when it surged. If I had my foot on the throttle when in regen, it derated the HP untill it hit 2K rpm, then it would take off like a bat out of hell and would stay at full throttle for a second or two. Even if I stepped on the clutch it would just peg max rpm for the second or two. I will not put up with this a second time, they will keep getting the truck back until resolved or bought back. I have only driven it 25 miles since the virus. I'll post any problems, if any here in this thread.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
These things are just too ’’SMART’’ for there and our own good sometimes! Maybe remote starting all the time and letting it do it’s ‘’Thang’’ might help. :rolleyes:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I drove the truck in city driving and on the freeway around 60 miles yesterday, both with and without regen. I didn't notice any difference, thank god, but it doesn't mean it wont show up later.

Teddo

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 2500 HD Cummins last September. I am very happy with the truck except that it would do some funky shifting when i first got underway. I got the paperwork for the W03 recall and the VB6 recall. After following this forum on the 2 recalls I decided against the VB6 recall. Two weeks ago, I took it to the dealer for the W03 recall, but refused and signed off on the VB6 recall, which they said was fine cause all recalls are voluntary anyhow. The W03 upgrade corrected the funky shifting issue. The truck is performing like a champ. It gets between 19 and 19.5 mpg (no load) and uses about 1/6th tank of DEF per 1,000 miles. Many years ago I was fortunate enuf to attend a couple of diesel schools. One underlying statement throughout the instruction was, "If the engines are running good and working hard, leave them alone". I love my Rams.

Im84

Reaction score
New guy here, came across this place after searching for info on the issues with my 19’ 3500 HO dually with the Aisin. The VB6 flash was done a few weeks ago at around 8k miles. Drove it for a couple weeks then loaded two jeeps up and drove from Kansas City to Utah. I’m at about 28k all together so it’s a good load. Second time making this trip with this truck and load. No issues on the first trip but this time after the flash when pulling long grades and or mountain passes it feels like the converter is unlocking and locking periodically. It is almost an instant unlock and lock resulting in an unexpected violent jolt. Only happened under load pulling a hill or slight grade. Can’t replicate it without a trailer. In a 30 hour round trip I’d say it happened over 20 times. Something pressure related I’d say is telling it to unlock if that is indeed what it’s doing but either way it’s violent and didn’t happen before the VB6 flash. Mpg is down as well but that’s give or take because of the load. Taking it to dealer this week so they can make sure the program loaded correctly. That’s my 2 cents. In my opinion I’d hold off on the flash I’m not too happy.

Users who are viewing this thread