Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall VB6 - 2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration

Reaction score
So, finally had mine done (2019 3500 HO) on Saturday. Pedal response is definitely smoother & more "peppy" - not as much lag. The jerky downshifting coming to a rolling stop is gone. Have noticed that acceleration in general may be slightly weaker, but i'll take that any day over the lag in acceleration & overall jerkiness. Was getting overall 15 MPG around town, but current mileage might be a little worse - have to give it more time to average out. Probably the biggest annoyance is the noise - the engine is definitely louder & more "throaty" sounding than before. - hopefully it quiets down over time.

Last edited:

papachiax6

Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer, FCA acknowledged that they are aware that there is an issue with the vb6 update on certain trucks, they are aware that this has affected performance of the truck, sadly they have no fix for it but are working on it. The dealer has opened a star claim for me so we will see where that goes.

jakebrake

Reaction score
Please post your " post " VB6 flash results asap if you will.
Thanks to those who have.
Thanks

papachiax6

Reaction score
Please post your " post " VB6 flash results asap if you will.
Thanks to those who have.
Thanks
Mine is a 19 3500 HO. After the ecm flash. Horrible surging. Took it back and the did the tcm flash which improves the shifting by smoothing it out which it did. It did nothing for the surging issues. No fix yet.

4wdiver

Reaction score
had mine done about 4 weeks ago. I have noticed a slight surging at light throttle while accelerating away from a light. don't notice anything if under heavy throttle. the main thing i have noticed is before the update i averaged about 14.5 to 15 mpg in town after update same driving in town is now around 13.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Multiple cold starts later and I'm convinced they put a lumpy cam in the engine. Cold start idle is rough, quite rough. The truck is literally bouncing around. Idle smooths out as engine temp approaches 90 degrees F. Strike 1! :mad:
The rough idle is manifest primarily when the OAT is below 10C (50F). Idle after a cold start when the OAT is @ 20C is quite respectable. That's fine but there are a finite number of months in the year where temperatures of that nature are all the rage in these parts.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The rough idle is manifest primarily when the OAT is below 10C (50F). Idle after a cold start when the OAT is @ 20C is quite respectable. That's fine but there are a finite number of months in the year where temperatures of that nature are all the rage in these parts.

I didn't have to live through a real cold snap, but found myself hitting the high idle about 20 seconds in.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I didn't have to live through a real cold snap, but found myself hitting the high idle about 20 seconds in.
Yep, my worries may be moot, even in the hellish cold we get. Remote start the beast and if the OAT is anywhere near freezing or below, the hi-idle will auto engage withing 10 seconds of starting.

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
I've had my new 2019 6.7 HO DRW for 3 weeks now and have less than 900 miles on it. I see on the website that it had the VB6 done in February. Obviously I can't compare before and after, but I don't have any issues. Runs smooth, love that it actually has some throaty diesel engine sound. Getting low 16mpg on the display, which hopefully improves after a while, but she also has 4.10's so...

I will say this Cummins definitely doesn't have as much power as the '17 6.7 Powerstroke I traded in on it. I'm also going to see if I can get the dealer to flash the TCM because the shifting sucks. Besides the clunks and rough shifts, it will randomly stay in a gear instead of upshifting when it should, and you have to basically floor it to get it to downshift and go. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy with the truck overall. They all have their pros and cons.

RTillery

Reaction score
I was planning a trip up into Canada so I thought I'd get the recall done. Had the VB6 done about a week ago. I have several hundred miles on it, and so far, I can't tell much difference. Hopefully DEF usage will go down? The big thing for me is the bed step. They said yeah there is a recall and would be noted on the work order but parts are still on backorder. I went to use it today and was shocked when I realized they had completely removed the step. I had no idea or I wouldn't have taken it in yet. I called and asked about it, and the guy says, "Sorry, our orders are to remove any bed steps that are brought in because they can break and cause injury. As an old gimpy guy, I really like the thing for getting up in the back. I'll give them a couple of weeks and bug them on this, but I haven't heard any progress toward a new design? Bummed.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
My def post VB6 has shown no signs of improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The claims of surging bothers me, my 07 C&C was flashed with the latest update in 09, and after that, every time it went into regen the throttle would surge to max rpm and stay there for what seems like an eternity but was more like a second or two. This was accellerating between shifts or even at cruise while towing 5ver and hitting the throttle. It is why I had to convert it to a SMF and dual disk clutch. I'm turning it in next Saturday for the 2 to 3rd shift bucking when at a high GCW, but not over the GCWR. They will want to perform the VB6 with any Aisin transmission flashing.

LamboTexas

Reaction score
I was planning a trip up into Canada so I thought I'd get the recall done. Had the VB6 done about a week ago. I have several hundred miles on it, and so far, I can't tell much difference. Hopefully DEF usage will go down? The big thing for me is the bed step. They said yeah there is a recall and would be noted on the work order but parts are still on backorder. I went to use it today and was shocked when I realized they had completely removed the step. I had no idea or I wouldn't have taken it in yet. I called and asked about it, and the guy says, "Sorry, our orders are to remove any bed steps that are brought in because they can break and cause injury. As an old gimpy guy, I really like the thing for getting up in the back. I'll give them a couple of weeks and bug them on this, but I haven't heard any progress toward a new design? Bummed.
Took mine in for VB6 and same as you- havent driven enough to notice a difference. But I also had the bed step recall and they told me the same thing: parts on back order except they left the existing step on mine. Maybe I look a helluva lot older and decrepit than you!

D

Deleted member 80

The claims of surging bothers me, my 07 C&C was flashed with the latest update in 09, and after that, every time it went into regen the throttle would surge to max rpm and stay there for what seems like an eternity but was more like a second or two. This was accellerating between shifts or even at cruise while towing 5ver and hitting the throttle. It is why I had to convert it to a SMF and dual disk clutch. I'm turning it in next Saturday for the 2 to 3rd shift bucking when at a high GCW, but not over the GCWR. They will want to perform the VB6 with any Aisin transmission flashing.
RVTRKN, sorry to see you are facing it too, but I am glad to see you say you have the 2-3 shudder/buck, as I thought I was the only one. We just pulled our toy hauler back from Oklahoma, and it shuddered so bad a few times I thought it was going to break something. Really, really bad. It really pizzes my wife off, it's so bad. I will be waiting to see if they address it for you.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Dealer performed the update on my truck before I ever test drove it so I cannot comment on what caused the issue but, there is surging at light throttle and speeds around 20-40 mph.

Gadgetguru

Reaction score

I did notice this truck is using a lot of DEF. Gauge is almost down to 3/4 with less than 1000 miles on it. That's crazy.

I did most of the purchase process online and the dealer I bought it from was 3 hours away in another state. I didn't notice the bed step was missing until the next day after getting home. Boy, I was not happy. Contacted my salesman, he knew nothing about it. Turns out the recall came out and the dealers had to remove them. He just didn't know because he had been laid off for a month.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
RVTRKN, sorry to see you are facing it too, but I am glad to see you say you have the 2-3 shudder/buck, as I thought I was the only one. We just pulled our toy hauler back from Oklahoma, and it shuddered so bad a few times I thought it was going to break something. Really, really bad. It really pizzes my wife off, it's so bad. I will be waiting to see if they address it for you.
The only way I found to minimize the bucking, is to floor it, and don't let off the throttle until the 2nd to 3rd shift, but it doesn't eliminate it totally.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Dealer performed the update on my truck before I ever test drove it so I cannot comment on what caused the issue but, there is surging at light throttle and speeds around 20-40 mph.

Have you brought this up to your dealer? Let us know if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Yes I did and was told by the service writer that here is nothing they can do until an update is pushed. They cannot go backward and reinstall the previous version I was told. So now what can I do. Sit and wait?

Can you send your VIN?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread