Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall VB6 - 2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration

flan

Reaction score
It seems like the surging and rough idle affects the HO trucks with this VB6.

jakebrake

Reaction score
well I woke up this morning and took time to re-read all of this thread. may be because I just received my second VB6 recall notice. I never scheduled for it to be done. Can't seem to make up my mind. You spend 80K for a truck and you're expected to turn it in for a crap shoot. Mine is running fine ------- still scratching my head.

AKDoug

Reaction score
Still no issues with mine. Did 520 miles on Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon empty. Got 20.1 mpg hand calc'd. Speeds were pretty much 65mph for about 400 miles, and 40mph on gravel for 120 miles. Had one 1/2 mile burst of 90mph to deal with a guy I needed to get around.

Today I towed a 12K excavator on my gooseneck. Total of 18.5K. No issues at all. I'm starting to wish that an 8 speed would come to reality. It could really use another gear between 1 and 2.. and another one between 2 and 3. The rest after that are just fine.

Cody

Reaction score
Still no issues with mine. Did 520 miles on Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon empty. Got 20.1 mpg hand calc'd. Speeds were pretty much 65mph for about 400 miles, and 40mph on gravel for 120 miles. Had one 1/2 mile burst of 90mph to deal with a guy I needed to get around.

Today I towed a 12K excavator on my gooseneck. Total of 18.5K. No issues at all. I'm starting to wish that an 8 speed would come to reality. It could really use another gear between 1 and 2.. and another one between 2 and 3. The rest after that are just fine.
Do you have the H/O? Or Standard? Seems like a lot of people that are having the surging have the h/o with aisin trans. Including myself.

jakebrake

Reaction score

glad your's is doing well. mine is a 2019 3500. Is your cold start idle smooth, or does it have to warm up.

AKDoug

Reaction score
glad your's is doing well. mine is a 2019 3500. Is your cold start idle smooth, or does it have to warm up.
Mine wasn't smooth before the update. I honestly don't know what it's like now. Its 50F in the morning, I fire it up and just go.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Scheduled my VB6 for next Friday. Gonna do a tow this week and I’ll compare it.

3500 HO. Hope it’s a good update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
VB6 vaccine was injected earlier this week. I'd put this off for some time. Anyway, I have yet to tug a load but... pedal response is improved. Cummins idles pretty much like it did before hand, which was just fine. Aisin 1-2-3 shifting is improved - the jerky transmission response to a slow, rolling stop and go is gone. And the EB appears to have a wee bit more bite in manual. My skepticism re this update is somewhat assuaged, BUT... I'd still like to know what, precisely, they did to my drive train's digital wizardry! I ain't holding me breath...

Reaction score
VB6 vaccine was injected earlier this week. I'd put this off for some time. Anyway, I have yet to tug a load but... pedal response is improved. Cummins idles pretty much like it did before hand, which was just fine. Aisin 1-2-3 shifting is improved - the jerky transmission response to a slow, rolling stop and go is gone. And the EB appears to have a wee bit more bite in manual. My skepticism re this update is somewhat assuaged, BUT... I'd still like to know what, precisely, they did to my drive train's digital wizardry! I ain't holding me breath...
Good to hear. Getting my 2019 HO done on Saturday, and have hated the extreme diesel lag from the get-go. Looking forward to improved performance (hopefully).

papachiax6

Reaction score
Can you expand on the vb6 vaccine, are you saying they have a cure for the surging? I just picked up mine today after complaining about the surging after the vb6 flash. The dealer called and said they could'nt replicate it. (go figure) I asked if I could take one of the tech's with me for a ride. Providence was with me as the first hill we came to the surging was so pronounced that he said that is all he needed. I now have a case number and he said he will have an answer for me tomorrow. I hope so as we just came back from a 500 mi trip pulling 16k and we both felt seasick after the ride it was so bad. Highly recommend that you don't get this flash until they fix it.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Can you expand on the vb6 vaccine, are you saying they have a cure for the surging? I just picked up mine today after complaining about the surging after the vb6 flash. The dealer called and said they could'nt replicate it. (go figure) I asked if I could take one of the tech's with me for a ride. Providence was with me as the first hill we came to the surging was so pronounced that he said that is all he needed. I now have a case number and he said he will have an answer for me tomorrow. I hope so as we just came back from a 500 mi trip pulling 16k and we both felt seasick after the ride it was so bad. Highly recommend that you don't get this flash until they fix it.
It's only been a few days since the injection of updated code but I've not experienced anything that could be characterized as surging. That BS has been reported by other owners with and without the update and was something that I was concerned might manifest post update. Plse keep us in the loop as regards FCA's prospective remedy.

flan

Reaction score
No surge on the low output (SO) version of the flash.

papachiax6

Reaction score
It's only been a few days since the injection of updated code but I've not experienced anything that could be characterized as surging. That BS has been reported by other owners with and without the update and was something that I was concerned might manifest post update. Plse keep us in the loop as regards FCA's prospective remedy.

Thanks for the reply, would you happen to have the numbers for the updated code so that I could give to my dealer?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Truck is flashed and have the AISIN TSB for shifting.
I’ll report back after I pick it up. Gonna run her hard for a bit

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Well

I’m pleased with the update. It’s smooth and coupled with the AISIN TSB she feels responsive.

Go get it done boys.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, would you happen to have the numbers for the updated code so that I could give to my dealer?
Unfortunately, no. The WO for the recall states only,"REPROGRAM ECM WITH AISIN TRANSMISSION." Wasn't particularly pleased with that cuz I know that there are unique part nos for every bit of software loaded into the various computers in these vehicles. Some dealers iterate it on the WO and others don't. Notwithstanding, the update I received should not be any different than the yours. That is unless FCA is making changes to the VB6 reprogram on the fly.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Multiple cold starts later and I'm convinced they put a lumpy cam in the engine. Cold start idle is rough, quite rough. The truck is literally bouncing around. Idle smooths out as engine temp approaches 90 degrees F. Strike 1! :mad:

papachiax6

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. The WO for the recall states only,"REPROGRAM ECM WITH AISIN TRANSMISSION." Wasn't particularly pleased with that cuz I know that there are unique part nos for every bit of software loaded into the various computers in these vehicles. Some dealers iterate it on the WO and others don't. Notwithstanding, the update I received should not be any different than the yours. That is unless FCA is making changes to the VB6 reprogram on the fly.
So they flashed the tcm and yes it shifts much smother. It didn't do anything for the surging. No news from the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread