Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Ram Recalls Certain Trucks For Rear Camera Not Displaying!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RECALL: Ram Recalls Certain Trucks For Rear Camera Not Displaying!​

8.4-Inch Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Requires A Software Update To Fix Issue...​

8.4-Inch Uconnect 5.jpg

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2022 Model Year Ram 1500 (DT), Ram 2500 (DJ), and Ram 3500 10K LB. Chassis Cab (DF) vehicles. for radio software which may prevent the rearview image from displaying. This leads to a failure to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 111, “Rear Visibility.”

The vehicle operator will notice that the rearview image is not displayed if attempting to reference the image while backing. If this warning is not heeded, backing without verifying it is safe to do so could lead to an increased risk of injury to people outside the vehicle.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Just received notification RAM has issued another recall on my 2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn 6.4 Hemi. NHTSA #23V-654 Compatibility Problem Between the Infotainment and the Rear Backup Camera. A software incompatibility between the vehicle’s radio and backup camera means the camera image might not display. This means the vehicle is not in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 571.111 S6.2.1 (field of view) and S6.2.2 (image size).
Instruction state take the vehicle to your dealership so they can update the software.
I Don't understand why, if RAM can update software regarding the Infotainment System OTA for other software problems, why I need to take the vehicle and have the dealer update the software?
Anyone else experienced this problem? Did the dealer update the Infotainment System or flash the software for the On Board Computer?

waveslayer

Reaction score
I received a recall notice, but haven't done anything about it. The dealership has had my truck for a total of near 2.5 months not going without anymore this year! It's ridiculous

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Scubaz66

Reaction score
I received a recall notice, but haven't done anything about it. The dealership has had my truck for a total of near 2.5 months not going without anymore this year! It's ridiculous

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Yeah It's getting ridiculous! $60-$90+K for a truck and a boat load of problems. My 2004 Avalanche had a check engine light one time. Loose Fuel Cap. Other than that 180K miles error free and it's still on the road.

pbzzz

Reaction score
recall notice states you can do this update yourself . references UTUBE site for info . All makes sense except how do I make the update request appear on screen (truck) ? Maybe in a few days/weeks it will automagically appear . Dunno ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
recall notice states you can do this update yourself . references UTUBE site for info . All makes sense except how do I make the update request appear on screen (truck) ? Maybe in a few days/weeks it will automagically appear . Dunno ?

Can you post the link?

ironmike

Reaction score
My camera no display is intermittent.... everytime i want to check it, it works, when i showed dealer, it made me a liar... LOL

Last edited:

pbzzz

Reaction score
so will the "OTA" update for this fix appear on my truck screen some time do you think ? I really don't need it, don't seem to have this problem . . .

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
so will the "OTA" update for this fix appear on my truck screen some time do you think ? I really don't need it, don't seem to have this problem . . .

It's just that OTA updates have been notoriously dodgy and sporadic on who gets them.

The UConnect website won't even tell you there's an update, they always show you are "current."

In that regard, owners tend to pass around an update file that is in the wild. However, very recently RamCares has been sending threatening PM's for theses "unauthorized" files to be taken down, and I notice there's one repo that's now placed a screen copy of the PM in place of all the folders/files.

The file on USB (whatever series/version it happens to be) is the same file, and the same method, the dealer uses to update your radio.

CJ99X

Reaction score
Well I tried the OTA and it scans and nothing - tried it several different ways. I went to the driveuconnect website and that site is poorly written ti acts as though it is scanning for updates for you VIN and then locks up the scroll down after the scan but still it does not say you have an update or doesn't.
Why send me a letter with instructions for equipment and sites that don't work @RamCares ? I believe due to my work schedule if I back over someone or something it may be their fault. Sheesh my GM OTA updates as I drive and then tells me I have to shut the vehicle down when its convenient like when I am home FCA sends you a fire letter then no water.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Like the Mad Irish Man said.... Good Luck with Uconnect Updates..... My UConnect System is still buggy and it's a 2022. RAM is Building 2024 now.... LOL

CdnHO

Reaction score
Just got a message on my radio that was similar to the what was in the video above. There was a progress graph that finally made it to 100% after about a half hour. Then it appeared the radio rebooted and my map slowly found my position. Not sure what was updated. First time since I owned the truck.

Scherm

Reaction score
This thread popped up. I have another service appointment scheduled for the rear camera. That will make three. The first found a bad connection. The second replaced the rear camera. The camera goes out after I have hauled and disconnected the 5th wheel. The issue could be related to the Uconnect transition from towing to not towing via unplugging the 7 pin.

Users who are viewing this thread