Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the odds might be low but looks like the AT fluid got me. That's my guess anyway at this point. This was taken on the way into Yellowstone from the North entrance. Motor was cold 30 minutes prior, no sign of any issue until I noticed a loss of power going 15 mph uphill. Within 50-70 yards I was at a full stop. Just as I reached the stop a plume of white smoke came from under my drivers door(down wind side) followed by at least a foot and a half of flame. Everyone got out ok, I had to go back into the back seat to get one of my labs out who was frozen with fear. You don't want to be me. First time around a truck fire and I can tell you it went up quick but then I think it was fully involved before I knew it.

Saw the truck in person this last weekend, it’s much worse than the photos elude to.. and they are bad.

Glad no one was hurt.

Plannet

Reaction score
Saw the truck in person this last weekend, it’s much worse than the photos elude to.. and they are bad.

Glad no one was hurt.
You were in Yellowstone? Yea, it's as bad as it could be.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You were in Yellowstone? Yea, it's as bad as it could be.

Yes, camped at Canyon. I was getting a friends hitch re-torqued at the auto shop and the kids pointed it out. I looked at it for a second and recognized it from this thread.

Plannet

Reaction score
Man, so very sorry. Was your camper spared?
Yes, Yellowstone Fire showed up with about 2-3 minutes to spare before the RV would have gone up. The flames were licking the front cap. Hat that gotten hot enough to light the whole thing would have been gone in no time. For that matter the truck was a total loss in 2 minutes from the time I set the emergency brake. I think the combination of low speed and towing was the cause. I had already pulled that RV up many 7% grades at highway speeds and had no issue.

Plannet

Reaction score

Glad no one was hurt.
Before and after shots. Nothing left. The one saving grace was the center console protected the RV keys from melting. I was able to retrieve them when I took these shots along with a few other items in the console. Ironically one of the items was a lighter, LOL.

Attachments

• 20230116_130311-Truck (3).jpg
    20230116_130311-Truck (3).jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230822_151559.jpg
    20230822_151559.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230822_141821.jpg
    20230822_141821.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230822_141550.jpg
    20230822_141550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Hope you get taken care of with insurance warranty etc. Vehicles and stuff can be replaced so glad this was all it was.

sn_85

Reaction score
Well the odds might be low but looks like the AT fluid got me. That's my guess anyway at this point. This was taken on the way into Yellowstone from the North entrance. Motor was cold 30 minutes prior, no sign of any issue until I noticed a loss of power going 15 mph uphill. Within 50-70 yards I was at a full stop. Just as I reached the stop a plume of white smoke came from under my drivers door(down wind side) followed by at least a foot and a half of flame. Everyone got out ok, I had to go back into the back seat to get one of my labs out who was frozen with fear. You don't want to be me. First time around a truck fire and I can tell you it went up quick but then I think it was fully involved before I knew it.

Yikes, that's horrifying. I'm glad you, everyone else and the pooch are all safe. Just curious but were you on the list to get the AT dipstick changed?

Users who are viewing this thread