Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear wheel well liners

Lilbxl

Reaction score
Has anyone added the factory liners to the rear? If so, what part numbers and hardware is needed? Thanks in advance.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Has anyone added the factory liners to the rear? If so, what part numbers and hardware is needed? Thanks in advance.
I will not even look at a truck without them. The less the dealer touches a vehicle the better, in my book.

Lilbxl

Reaction score
I will not even look at a truck without them. The less the dealer touches a vehicle the better, in my book.
I will be doing this myself. Just looking for part numbers needed and maybe any tips for install.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I installed them on my Bighorn but the dealer ordered them for me. It was an easy install, just have to remove the front splash guard. The rear factory splash guard stays.
You will need about six of the factory black screws and two of the self tapping lock nuts that go on the bed sheet metal that face you looking in the wheel well under the bed. The new liner's should have the locknuts pre installed except the two that face you. Ask the dealer if there's a hardware kit available, mine didn't come with the extra hardware and they had to order them separate.
When you get them you'll see what i'm talking about.
I can post some pic's if there's confusion.

Lilbxl

Reaction score
I installed them on my Bighorn but the dealer ordered them for me. It was an easy install, just have to remove the front splash guard. The rear factory splash guard stays.
You will need about six of the factory black screws and two of the self tapping lock nuts that go on the bed sheet metal that face you looking in the wheel well under the bed. The new liner's should have the locknuts pre installed except the two that face you. Ask the dealer if there's a hardware kit available, mine didn't come with the extra hardware and they had to order them separate.
When you get them you'll see what i'm talking about.
I can post some pic's if there's confusion.
Do you have to remove the rear splash guard to install the liner? Self tapping screws and lock nuts? Do you have part numbers of all material that was ordered?

dslbrnr

Reaction score
You do not have to remove the rear splash guards they stay on. You will have to remove the rear lower rocker panel plastic rock guard to access the screws which will be reinstalled, it has some expanding nylon retainers that you squeeze in to remove. You will see what has to be removed to be able to get to all the retainers during install, pretty self explanatory. They call them lock nuts but they are self tapping type retainers that slide over the sheet metal on the bed where the front splash guard that you are removing also attaches. You can reuse the front splash guard retainer lock nut and screw but the new guards will need one more for the rear on each side liner. Once you start it will all make sense. The dealer can pull up all the needed parts on their parts diagram.
I'll try and snap a few pics!!

Lilbxl

Reaction score
You do not have to remove the rear splash guards they stay on. You will have to remove the rear lower rocker panel plastic rock guard to access the screws which will be reinstalled, it has some expanding nylon retainers that you squeeze in to remove. You will see what has to be removed to be able to get to all the retainers during install, pretty self explanatory. They call them lock nuts but they are self tapping type retainers that slide over the sheet metal on the bed where the front splash guard that you are removing also attaches. You can reuse the front splash guard retainer lock nut and screw but the new guards will need one more for the rear on each side liner. Once you start it will all make sense. The dealer can pull up all the needed parts on their parts diagram.
I'll try and snap a few pics!!
Appreciate it.
The above is the link for the liners. Would you be able to tell me what hardware I would need? I know I need the left and right liner.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
The first pic is the rock guard that will be removed and reinstalled to access the screws when installing the new liner. When you crawl under the truck you'll see the nylon retainers you squeeze in with pliers to remove. Pics 2-3 just show where the self tapping lock nuts go facing the wheel well. Pic 4 is the retainer that will come preinstalled on the new liner's. I just took a few off the original splash guards before I tossed them just incase. Pic 5 is one of the screws you will reuse but you will need a few extra for the new liners. Pic 6 is what they call self tapping lock nuts, you will need two more and reuse the one that was on the front original splash guards on each side of the truck facing the wheel well.
Hopefully this explains it fairly well.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 190

Lilbxl

Reaction score
Appreciate it man. That should be all the information I need. Thanks.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
No problem, glad to help.
The dealer didn't order the kit for me which would have been easier. All I got was the two liners and no hardware kit. Had to go back to the parts guy and he ordered the hardware I needed.
Getting the correct hardware was the worst part

dslbrnr

Reaction score
The dealer where I bought mine carried ford also and most of them didn't have the liner's either. Hard to believe it's not a standard factory install.

Larson

Reaction score
You are correct on dealer installed equipment if you can do it , do it. I am not sure for the rear liners. I launch my boat about thirty to fifty times a year in saltwater. Some times going up to rear wheels if launch is on the flat side. Some guys are concerned with salt water getting trap in liners. Anyone with experience on salt water and rusting wheel liners from water getting trapped in between.

Reaction score

This is on a 1500 Rebel but it looks pretty much the same set-up. I got a set of rough Country liners and by looking at the layout from the YouTube vid and the 3 year old's crayon type instruction sheet included. This just may do it. There are two more vids but they are also on 1500s. Just tossed out there but this may give a visual WTF!

pretty generic = https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/92460900.pdf It says 2009+ but that's a big spread. 2009-2020 Ram 2500 / 3500

Last edited:

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I thought about having it all Line-X'd under there but went with the liners. The Line-X would be a good option as well as the lower rocker panels but they want over a grand. I travel a lot of gravel roads so it gets hammered with chips. They also salt the roads here when it snows so I'll definitely power wash after the mud and snow and hopefully that will help.
I get tired of worrying too much and figure it'll eventually get some rust somewhere.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I thought about having it all Line-X'd under there but went with the liners. The Line-X would be a good option as well as the lower rocker panels but they want over a grand. I travel a lot of gravel roads so it gets hammered with chips. They also salt the roads here when it snows so I'll definitely power wash after the mud and snow and hopefully that will help.
I get tired of worrying too much and figure it'll eventually get some rust somewhere.
Fluid film and wool wax will help

Users who are viewing this thread