Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really bouncy ride on 3500 w/ Factory Air Suspension

JcLeiva

Reaction score
2019 Laramie 3500 SRW long bed, with a really smooth and comfy ride. My 2010 F250 was a lot more skittish. I’m very happy. I just hope my CP4 doesn’t crap out (off-topic, I know...).
What tire pressure are you running? Do you have the auto level air suspension?

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
So in my reading on lifts recently I discovered that the design of the rear trac bar adds to this feeling. RR tracks, expansion joint, pot holes and cracks all are forced sideways into the frame. I have no experience with them but I'm thinking about a Thuren rear trac bar kit. It supposedly aligns the bar better so that sideways bounce is replaced with a more vertical movement. Many have claimed a night and day difference in ride after installation. Again I have to wait for people to fly again(furloughed)before I can afford to try this, just sharing what I've learned.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So in my reading on lifts recently I discovered that the design of the rear trac bar adds to this feeling. RR tracks, expansion joint, pot holes and cracks all are forced sideways into the frame. I have no experience with them but I'm thinking about a Thuren rear trac bar kit. It supposedly aligns the bar better so that sideways bounce is replaced with a more vertical movement. Many have claimed a night and day difference in ride after installation. Again I have to wait for people to fly again(furloughed)before I can afford to try this, just sharing what I've learned.

That may be true for a 2500 coil sprung rear, but this thread was discussing 3500 which is leaf sprung.

JcLeiva

Reaction score
We think our truck has a great ride. It is much better than our previous tow vehicle, a 1999 2500 Suburban 4X4.

It is a truck after all.

2019 Laramie 3500 HO, 8' bed.

I have had HD trucks all my life so I understand they should have a rough ride but this must be something else. I’m going to try and upload a video soon

ahhhr

Reaction score
My truck is definitely better than previous iterations but i disagree with the notion that a truck is expected to ride a bit rough.

We put people in space to run experiments on quantum mechanics, extract resources from the deepest parts of the ocean and make wireless cameras that can be attached to the back of a fly.

i dont think its too much for me to ask my $100k truck to not chip my teeth when i ride over a speed bump. Or lower a couple inchs when i press "Lower Bed" button.

Rant over. Sorry to highjack the thread about your concern. i suggest you take a test drive in a dealers truck to see if it feels the same as yours. Doesnt sound right to me.

D

Deleted member 80

Go to Kelderman four-corner air ride, and you can get more plushness, and raise and lower to your heart's content.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie SRW with the factory rear air leveling. Empty it was bouncy as expected. With my Leer shell and approx 300 lbs of gear in the bed and tires at 65 psi it is a pretty good ride on the highway. Still a bit rough on surface streets. Not a problem for me as my daily driver is my smooth riding 2016 1500 Ecodiesel.

The bed lowering only works under load. I've read that it takes a 500+ lbs load to operate, that may be hearsay, I don't know for sure. The manual says it will drop 1". However, when I put my trailer's 1100lb tongue weight on it the "bed lowering" drops it 2". I operate the bed lowering when unhitching the trailer, otherwise, the "rear leveling" is in effect and I would have to raise the trailer's hitch too high to get it off the hitch ball.
Brutal responded:
Alt Trailer Height only works (sticks) under load. Bed Lowering works, but may not achieve much "lowering" unladen.

2/7/23
Brutal,
I was browsing this thread and saw the above. I mistakenly called Alt Trailer Height "bed lowering". Thanks for correcting me.

waveslayer

Reaction score
What tire pressure are you running? Do you have the auto level air suspension?
Drop the pressure down to 50 psi and see what it does. Call Deaver and replace the leafs.

This will smooth out your ride. My 2022 was terrible! Changed suspension plus front and rear track bars, made 100% improvement

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Users who are viewing this thread