Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

exiledinaz

Reaction score

Perhaps this is why there haven't been any updates posted. If there is an active investigation they aren't going to say anything.
Changing back to the CP3 for 2021 was enough to show that FCA knew of a major problem....Had they addressed 2019-2020 model owners in a timely manner, that article probably would have never seen the light of day....My question is was there 600,000 trucks sold or pumps that went out?

g00fy

Reaction score
Serious Injury or loss of life isn't going to be the sole determining factor on any recall. If there's a potential for the same, it could force RAM's hand for either a voluntary or mandatory recall.

Potential failure is important, my daily driver is a 2500 with CP4 and unless I'm towing I'm not concerned about my safety in a potential failure... However my Delivery truck is a 5500 with an 8x12' cylinder rack on the back that I use to deliver welding, cutting and other industrial gasses. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't cross my mind now and then going down the highway at 70mph in moderate traffic how I'm going to handle a complete loss of power while I'm hauling 7000lbs of Oxygen (Gas & Liquid), Acetylene, and propane.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Changing back to the CP3 for 2021 was enough to show that FCA knew of a major problem....Had they addressed 2019-2020 model owners in a timely manner, that article probably would have never seen the light of day....My question is was there 600,000 trucks sold or pumps that went out?

Trucks sold.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Trucks sold.

Out of 600K trucks sold, 22 complaints and no reported crashes/injuries? I find it incredible that once the engine dies from the CP4 failure, engine braking, steering, power brakes etc go out. Not one crash..... Even if only 10% pump failure would be 60,000 or 5% 30,000 and no crashes... Hmmm.....Maybe after the crash, insurance and cause was determined, the CP4 was not listed as the cause of engine failure? I wonder since insurance companies pay the loses do they keep a record/track of what caused the loss?

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Potential failure is important, my daily driver is a 2500 with CP4 and unless I'm towing I'm not concerned about my safety in a potential failure... However my Delivery truck is a 5500 with an 8x12' cylinder rack on the back that I use to deliver welding, cutting and other industrial gasses. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't cross my mind now and then going down the highway at 70mph in moderate traffic how I'm going to handle a complete loss of power while I'm hauling 7000lbs of Oxygen (Gas & Liquid), Acetylene, and propane.
Well if you are the next poor sucker to have a failure and put her in the rhubarb causing a mushroom cloud it might finally cause a recall. It will be national news!
Unfortunately for you you will never see it.:eek: Maybe they should put a section in the manual on how to open the door and bail while doing the tuck and roll.

OuterUB

Reaction score
Not to be thick or anything ... but, my newly ordered 2022 Bighorn Diesel will be built with a CP3 ?

g00fy

Reaction score
Well if you are the next poor sucker to have a failure and put her in the rhubarb causing a mushroom cloud it might finally cause a recall. It will be national news!
Unfortunately for you you will never see it.:eek: Maybe they should put a section in the manual on how to open the door and bail while doing the tuck and roll.
Haha this is my load today:

PXL_20211020_151314537.jpg

Flammable/combustibles on the left, oxygen on the right. If I have a problem, me and whoever else is involved goes express to Jesus, do not pass go, do not collect cp3, just straight to Jesus LoL.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you read the complaints and read mine you would see that I state my cp4 has never failed, but went on about the quick changes to the pump because of failure and my concerns about safety. Your pretty quit to calling someone a LIAR, but I expect nothing less from you Canada
Just your friendly neighborhood Snow Mexican telling it as i see it…. and no i have no intentions on sifting through the complaints to read yours

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of 600K trucks sold, 22 complaints and no reported crashes/injuries? I find it incredible that once the engine dies from the CP4 failure, engine braking, steering, power brakes etc go out. Not one crash..... Even if only 10% pump failure would be 60,000 or 5% 30,000 and no crashes... Hmmm.....Maybe after the crash, insurance and cause was determined, the CP4 was not listed as the cause of engine failure? I wonder since insurance companies pay the loses do they keep a record/track of what caused the loss?

This thread is going off the rails and I don't really have the time to clean it up...

That said, if you look at the other threads discussing CP4 failure, not the one that is supposed to be strictly regarding a service solution, you will see that the hydro assist braking provides for two (2) complete brake applications during failure modes. As to steering, not sure if the accumulator helps with that, so best to hit the gym.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Even Ozzy knows that the CP 4 will drive you CRAZY…..so everone might as well get on the TRAIN :p. Keeping this thread ‘’clean’’ to leave room for the caring people to let us know the big news is redundant. I am sure Jared B. will have it on the front page of this hdrams which if it wasn’t for THAT CANADIAN none of us would be here!

red

Reaction score
I'm Canadian and just chuckled as I read through some of the posts above...stick and stones. :):) I think with the NHTSA investigating, there's a better chance this results in a recall versus Stellantis making their own decision based on the almighty dollar.

MikeXM

Reaction score
When you are dead, you can't report to the NTHSA. So that's why there is only 22 reports :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure there are very few people that would take time to enter a complaint or even know they could. So the actually number of failure must be quite higher. And same logic to crashes/injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread