Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

resoverlord

Reaction score
I have a 2020.

My dealer (Paulding Ram) said they were getting 2 kits a week. I was their second one to order, so it should get in this week. He said the GA warehouse showed 2k in stock.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my local SM. He said they just started working these today.

1. I have to bring the truck in so they can verify ESN.
  2. For the time being, they are only allowed to order 1 kit/week.
I'm going to be pissed if I'm far down a list he said didn't exist before today.

Not sure why they have to verify the Cummins ESN, it's tied to my VIN. Maybe they're just verifying a previous repair or reimbursement hasn't already occurred. I will be there when their diesel techs arrive at 0800 tomorrow.

FWIW, you guys can find your ESN with a VIN lookup on https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/portal/index.html
Thanks for providing this info - I called the dealer and they said it will take a day to get the parts. I'm trying to get them to squeeze me in tomorrow or Friday - starting a 4500 mile trip Tuesday with a 15K 5th wheel and really would like to get this done. I have mixed feelings about first couple in line though. Parts said they only need the VIN so we'll see. Timing is impeccable but pulling the trailer last week the engine was very ragged on a hard acceleration like merging onto a highway.

red

Reaction score
Just did some quick Googling and then some even faster math. According to Google, there are about 2800 Chrysler dealerships combined in the US and Canada.
There are some 222,000 trucks involved in the recall. In a perfect world, this means every dealership will need to repair about 80 trucks. It'll take 80 weeks to complete the campaign if they deliver 1 kit per week per dealership or 40 weeks if they deliver 2 kits per week per dealership. No one should hold their breath here. We're in for a wait. :mad:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just did some quick Googling and then some even faster math. According to Google, there are about 2800 Chrysler dealerships combined in the US and Canada.
There are some 222,000 trucks involved in the recall. In a perfect world, this means every dealership will need to repair about 80 trucks. It'll take 80 weeks to complete the campaign if they deliver 1 kit per week per dealership or 40 weeks if they deliver 2 kits per week per dealership. No one should hold their breath here. We're in for a wait. :mad:

The number may be comparatively small. but some of those have already been swapped to aftermarket, many of those getting reimbursed.

That count, whatever it is, will more than make up for the smaller dealers who are saying 2 kits/month.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well at 2 kits a week and usually only 1-2 diesel techs per dealer thats not unreasonable seeing as they take about a day or 2 to do and other vehicles still need service.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well at 2 kits a week and usually only 1-2 diesel techs per dealer thats not unreasonable seeing as they take about a day or 2 to do and other vehicles still need service.

The revised TSB for a failed system to replace with the CP3 kit AND injectors, etc. is 10.3-11.4 hours allowed. We all know a good tech who hustles can do book time jobs in fewer hours. As long as they know WTF they're doing, and don't skimp on quality, I don't mind. My oldest ran 2 lifts at Audi and made bank doing book work. If you have bring-backs, you get hosed.

The TSB for the non-failed kit should be like 4 hours tops. All they are doing is swapping in the pump kit and a flash.

They're gonna hate me for having both the extra options.

1652313359176.png

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The revised TSB for a failed system to replace with the CP3 kit AND injectors, etc. is 10.3-11.4 hours allowed. We all know a good tech who hustles can do book time jobs in fewer hours. As long as they know WTF they're doing, and don't skimp on quality, I don't mind. My oldest ran 2 lifts at Audi and made bank doing book work. If you have bring-backs, you get hosed.

The TSB for the non-failed kit should be like 4 hours tops. All they are doing is swapping in the pump kit and a flash.

They're gonna hate me for having both the extra options.

View attachment 37615
I am not sure what the Recall kit has so i was referencing the failed pump times. I used to make good money beating the book time its the only good thing about flat rate

steve49

Reaction score
I don't trust calling the dealership, I went in person and said I have three recalls on my truck. The service manager looked at the notices, and right away said parts aren't available yet for the fuel pump! I said the parts were released yesterday the 10th, so he pulled up a screen on the computer and was quite surprised to see parts were available, along with the TSB procedure. TSB 18-054-21 REV. A state's the Tech has to first do an inspection by removing the "Fuel Quality Solenoid" from the current pump and check for contaminants/metal shavings, to determine which kit is ordered. So, they have to inspect your truck prior to ordering the parts kit! Also Yes, they have to verify the PCM so that the correct software version is installed with the new pump, and the ESN (engine serial number) to be sure the pump is going on the specific engine it was ordered for. My guess is the pump serial number is tied to the specific motor it was ordered for. My appointment is next week, where they'll do the two recalls and the required fuel pump inspection, and then order the appropriate fuel pump kit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't trust calling the dealership, I went in person and said I have three recalls on my truck. The service manager looked at the notices, and right away said parts aren't available yet for the fuel pump! I said the parts were released yesterday the 10th, so he pulled up a screen on the computer and was quite surprised to see parts were available, along with the TSB procedure. TSB 18-054-21 REV. A state's the Tech has to first do an inspection by removing the "Fuel Quality Solenoid" from the current pump and check for contaminants/metal shavings, to determine which kit is ordered. So, they have to inspect your truck prior to ordering the parts kit! Also Yes, they have to verify the PCM so that the correct software version is installed with the new pump, and the ESN (engine serial number) to be sure the pump is going on the specific engine it was ordered for. My guess is the pump serial number is tied to the specific motor it was ordered for. My appointment is next week, where they'll do the two recalls and the required fuel pump inspection, and then order the appropriate fuel pump kit.

True that's what is in the TSB. However, a simple, "It's running fine, no issues," when asked was good for my tech. If they find otherwise when they tear into it, then I guess I'll have to wait longer. He claimed they had only done two failure kits with the CP3 since January, though he wouldn't commit to how many CP4's had been replaced with other CP4.

I also only have just under 11K on the clock.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
True that's what is in the TSB. However, a simple, "It's running fine, no issues," when asked was good for my tech. If they find otherwise when they tear into it, then I guess I'll have to wait longer. He claimed they had only done two failure kits with the CP3 since January, though he wouldn't commit to how many CP4's had been replaced with other CP4.

Both my local dealers had no failures ever come in and they are pretty high volume

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Sorry about the whole tagging ramcares. I thought I was doing the right thing. It doesn't change the fact that I would really appreciate any insight on the whole issue as to weather the parts supplied are only for model year 2020. The fact that nobody is talking about leads me to believe the dealer is telling me a lie. Any insight would greatly be appreciated as I feel timing is important here.

Razzman

Reaction score

Pretty much what mine asked too, running or not. I have about 12.5K on mine, was 9,800 miles until the two week trip a few weeks ago.

Razzman

Reaction score
Sorry about the whole tagging ramcares. I thought I was doing the right thing. It doesn't change the fact that I would really appreciate any insight on the whole issue as to weather the parts supplied are only for model year 2020. The fact that nobody is talking about leads me to believe the dealer is telling me a lie. Any insight would greatly be appreciated as I feel timing is important here.
Just checked the other forum and there's a guy with a 2019 whom stated his dealer just ordered the parts for his. 2019 is in the recall and there's absolutely no reason it would be different.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

What does the recall for YOUR truck show on Mopar.com owner site or the ram app?

If it shows a recall and "parts are available," the dealer is either lying or uninformed/incompetent.

Slvrhemi85

Reaction score
Thanks for that last reply Brutal. I have registered my VIN thru the Ram app and it states "parts available". I will be contacting my dealer first thing in the morning to try to get thru to them. If not maybe find another dealer.

flan

Reaction score
I called and scheduled mine this morning, after a brief chat with parts dept, the advisor asked for my mileage and that I bring it in with as little fuel as possible. No other hoops to go through. The closest appointment with a loaner vehicle I could get was on the 25th so I booked it.

flan

Reaction score
I called and scheduled mine this morning, after a brief chat with parts dept, the advisor asked for my mileage and that I bring it in with as little fuel as possible. No other hoops to go through. The closest appointment with a loaner vehicle I could get was on the 25th so I booked it.
Well I spoke too damn soon. The dealer called me back 30 min later and said parts were not available for 2019, only 2020. They said maybe ramcares can assist so I called them and they concurred. Said to call back in a week or wait for a letter in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread