Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Tail Gate Recall

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Showed up in my app today (possibly yesterday) for my '19.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Was in the dealer today for other things. had them check and sure enough, it was on mine. Took them only minutes.

waveslayer

Reaction score
My 2022 opens randomly, damaged my new tailgate while it rubbed on a trailer I was towing

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Showing in the app this AM for my ‘21.

Hope this fixes the annoyance. I noticed the first week it came home the right side wasn’t closing tight as the tailgate was not even close to flush with the body above the taillight………….I have to close the darn thing by slamming the passenger side then double check to make sure it closes all the way. One of those things I dreaded even trying to get the dealership to adjust (and I actually like my local dealership).

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Ha..that’s what they get for making the thing more complicated than it should be. Too much stupid c**p.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ha..that’s what they get for making the thing more complicated than it should be. Too much stupid c**p.
I don’t think the tailgate latches are any more complicated than they’ve been on any truck in the last 40+ years. This recall has nothing to do with the electronics, it’s about misadjusted catches. Grab a wrench and loosen the center bolt, adjust the catch, tighten the bolt.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I don’t think the tailgate latches are any more complicated than they’ve been on any truck in the last 40+ years. This recall has nothing to do with the electronics, it’s about misadjusted catches. Grab a wrench and loosen the center bolt, adjust the catch, tighten the bolt.

any truck in history had a recall on tailgate latches and whether it’s coincidence now that this one has electric gizmo attached to them. The auto-open tailgate is about the goofiest and completely superfluous complication imaginable afaic. They auto-open and now they open autonomously…

jsalbre

Reaction score
The new tailgate is actually less complicated than previous ones.

The latches are the same, they’re just actuated by an electric motor. On previous tailgates in addition to the latches you also had an electric motor attached to a lock that ran every time you locked or unlocked your doors, so the old tailgate had more moving parts and more wear on those parts. With the electrically actuated latches there’s no need for a lock, the computer just doesn’t open the latch if it thinks the doors are “locked”.

Ford recalled 2018 F150s for tailgate latch issues last year, and 2017-2019 SuperDutys for tailgates unlatching. GM recalled 1999-2004 Silverados and Sierras for tailgate latch failures.

desertskier

Reaction score
Parked mine in the garage a few days ago. Next day opened the garage and heard lots of banging as the door went up. Tailgate opened and was resting on the garage door. Oh well. Got the first scratches out of the way. Now it's a truck.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Checked mine. It is on the recall list. Never noticed it before but unless I slam the tailgate hard, the driver's side latch only locks onto the first position. The body edges don't fit properly. Like a passenger door it had two latch positions. It would have been so easy for Ram to add a "tailgate open" telltale to the truck instrument cluster. Now that I am aware, I will know to do a visual check to see if the tailgate edge lines up with the fender. I did adjust the pin down a bit and it does close easier. On my last truck, the after market tailgate dropped down and punched hole in the front compartment door on my last fifth wheel. Thousand bucks later, it was fixed. Don't want to go through that again.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The new tailgate is actually less complicated than previous ones.

The latches are the same, they’re just actuated by an electric motor. On previous tailgates in addition to the latches you also had an electric motor attached to a lock that ran every time you locked or unlocked your doors, so the old tailgate had more moving parts and more wear on those parts. With the electrically actuated latches there’s no need for a lock, the computer just doesn’t open the latch if it thinks the doors are “locked”.

Ford recalled 2018 F150s for tailgate latch issues last year, and 2017-2019 SuperDutys for tailgates unlatching. GM recalled 1999-2004 Silverados and Sierras for tailgate latch failures.

yep..electronic issues in those superduty trucks..

The same troublesome pawls on the F150, electric and manual. Betting that the parts require less release effort to accommodate the electric motors..

The Chevy recall was for faulty support cables as far as I can see, so all examples citing latch issues provided involve electric tailgates. Ram makes three.

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Parked mine in the garage a few days ago. Next day opened the garage and heard lots of banging as the door went up. Tailgate opened and was resting on the garage door. Oh well. Got the first scratches out of the way. Now it's truck.

the same happened to mine, the Snugtop will keep it from happening again. A $4000 topper later and their fancy tailgate doesn’t bang against garage doors. The strange thing is, parked a Raptor that featured a typical mechanical handle and it never happened in eleven years. How….

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Grab a wrench and loosen the center bolt, adjust the catch, tighten the bolt.

Well, you were spot on there. If I closed my tailgate without decent effort it would bounce back and not latch at all.
Looking in the strikers were hitting low. Loosened them until they were barely snug and closed the gate repeatedly, let the gate adjust them and then tightened. Now very little effort will engage the first click and hardly more will latch it completely. So…thanks, man.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Well, you were spot on there. If I closed my tailgate without decent effort it would bounce back and not latch at all.
Looking in the strikers were hitting low. Loosened them until they were barely snug and closed the gate repeatedly, let the gate adjust them and then tightened. Now very little effort will engage the first click and hardly more will latch it completely. So…thanks, man.
Glad it was useful!

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
My 2022 opens randomly, damaged my new tailgate while it rubbed on a trailer I was towing

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Same here with less than 1000 miles on the truck. I have been slamming it like it is a 70's model Ford since I got the scratches and dents fixed. I can't wait to visit with the dealership about the recall.

racerdude321

Reaction score
If you get yours done, be sure to check it!

Never had a single problem with my tailgate and then after the recall it would not stay closed.
I had to adjust the strikers back myself. Recall has them adjust it too tight, IMO, with no movement. You had to slam the thing with two hands to get it to stay. I think temperature fluctuations caused it to not align perfect. Only been a single trip since I adjusted it back myself but it was super annoying to have issues after the recall was done.

Riddick

Reaction score
waiting for local dealer to get dip stick and transmission vent tube in stock. I called this morning and they said they are national back order. Currently have 3 open recalls on my 22 (abs module, tailgate, transmission).

Users who are viewing this thread