Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram never has parts for these trucks.

jetrinka

Reaction score
What in the world were you doing that caused a hub bearing to fail on a full float axle to the point that it wrecked the spindle? Either serious abuse/neglect or it was put together wrong at some point. When properly installed and lubricated they rarely if ever go bad. Hub seals are another story

2powerwagons

Reaction score
What in the world were you doing that caused a hub bearing to fail on a full float axle to the point that it wrecked the spindle? Either serious abuse/neglect or it was put together wrong at some point. When properly installed and lubricated they rarely if ever go bad. Hub seals are another story

Nothing outside of ordinary driving. Pretty wild that a wet Timken style bearing spun, isn't it? It's definitely not something you see every day.

2powerwagons

Reaction score
No not at all. How many miles on the truck?

52K, so it still under the powertrain warranty.

It;s never towed and never had much weight in the bed. The only reason it even has a ball mounted is to move my log splitter around. I use it to get in and out of a remote mountain property I own that's about 6 hrs away.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This seems to be the norm for Ram for some reason and not just with trucks like yours but all the Rams. I needed a new shock under warranty and even that was backordered. Crazy. I have a friend with a GMC and he has had a few warranty issues, including one complicated one with the DEF system. The local GMC dealer gets him in right away and always either has the parts in stock or can get them within the week. Of course, I don't really like his truck compared to my Ram so I just keep hoping that I don't have an issue that puts me in the "without a truck for months" club.

I do have the two open recalls on mine, the transmission dipstick and vent, and the grid heater relay. I have called many times to see about getting it done and they always say no parts available for me. I am sure they have fixed truck on their lot so they can sell them. But for a customer with a 2021 that I did not buy from them, they will not do the recalls. This may be a problem just with my big chain dealer as others in different locations and with different dealers have had the recalls done, but who knows. I am hoping that by next March 2024 when I need fuel filters and an oil change, maybe they will be able to do the recalls at the same time. Until then, I just give up trying to get them done. Disconnected the heater relay and have not had an issue with the transmission blowing fluid out the tube so maybe I'll be fine for the long term.
Ford and GM are the same i know of trucks from both companies that have been sitting over 5 months waiting for warranty parts

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nothing outside of ordinary driving. Pretty wild that a wet Timken style bearing spun, isn't it? It's definitely not something you see every day.
The bearing was not set right then it likely was to tight….

What you may be able to do is have a machine shop cut down the spindle and sweat fit a sleeve on the spindle then re machine it. Thats the best repair and ram can pay for it. I have done this for ford hubs for the F550s that they cant get parts for. The trucks were sitting for a couple months before they brought me the hubs for repair on ford canadas dime.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Car-part.com has used ones listed. Find one and make the dealer pay for it

mkmsr

Reaction score
52K, so it still under the powertrain warranty.

It;s never towed and never had much weight in the bed. The only reason it even has a ball mounted is to move my log splitter around. I use it to get in and out of a remote mountain property I own that's about 6 hrs away.
Not trying to be an a$s but it sounds like you don't even need an HD truck then. I don't understand all the HD on the road that the owners don't have a use for an HD. I see them all the time, no hitch or have a cap/topper and the receiver hitch is like brand new. I just am curious why anyone would pay for something they don't need.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Will_T

Reaction score
I don't understand all the HD on the road that the owners don't have a use for an HD. I just am curious why anyone would pay for something they don't need.
The question is kind of off topic, and I need my truck... But I own lots of stuff I don't need but have just because I want.

Some people may not "need" an HD truck but they want one and I think that is fine. My son has a friend who has a 2021 Ram 6.7 that looks like new even with 20K+ miles. He has spent a LOT of money on customizing it. He never tows anything more than a few thousand pounds. He loves that truck and that is why he paid for it and paid for a lot of aftermarket stuff. So far he is very happy with it and it is his money to spend.

datamm

Reaction score
I don't need a 2021 Charge Hellcat Redeye. I choose to have one. My wife doesn't need a 2023 Jeep Rubicon. It will never see a mud hole . She chooses to drive one. I don't need a 2022 Ram 2500 Limited Longhorn. I prefer to drive it vs a 1500 Ram Longhorn.
c2772ffe532b045eded9b50e2c0f4beb.jpg
0008a82f75ce05b6cd82699a3fe75789.jpg
849eaf89b635a56723a5189c507bae7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

2powerwagons

Reaction score
Not trying to be an a$s but it sounds like you don't even need an HD truck then. I don't understand all the HD on the road that the owners don't have a use for an HD. I see them all the time, no hitch or have a cap/topper and the receiver hitch is like brand new. I just am curious why anyone would pay for something they don't need.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I guess you really didn't read that I use it to access my remote property. And they're a poor choice of trucks if you're towing anyway. Or did you forget that this is the power wagon forum.

But that's not the point of this thread, is it?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Bearings that were put together wrong usually don’t last 52k. Super weird

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Bearings that were put together wrong usually don’t last 52k. Super weird
Slightly too tight will do just that on oiled bath bearings they spin just enough to last a long time i have seen it on trailer spindles and ff axles a few times over the years its usually just enough spinning to score the spindle but not overheat and ruin the bearing

jetrinka

Reaction score
Slightly too tight will do just that on oiled bath bearings they spin just enough to last a long time i have seen it on trailer spindles and ff axles a few times over the years its usually just enough spinning to score the spindle but not overheat and ruin the bearing
I’ve just always found it hard to achieve slightly too tight. Whenever I install taper bearings that next notch in the castle adjusting nut is always way too tight so it gets backed off.

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
@2powerwagons I feel your pain on parts availability. I'm an independent dealer by trade so if it's any consolation, the situation could be much worse. Just since 2020 here's a few examples of my hell with parts acquisition:
For almost an entire year, GM hasn't been able to supply some or all replacement parts or replacement whole transmissions for a lot of the 8L/10L truck transmissions.
Since roughly 2021, Honda/Acura & Toyota/Lexus have had a national backorder for passenger side CV axles for cars/light SUVs/Minivans. Aftermarket axles work, but they vibrate since they don't have a counterweight like the OEMs.
To this day, a lot of Ford computers/electronic parts are unavailable. TCMs/BCMs/PCMs, etc.
I guess my point is, your truck throwing a bearing/spindle sucks and the parts being unavailable is a major inconvenience; but it could be worse, you could have to deal with it daily and your livelihood could depend on figuring out the national parts cluster ****.

@datamm Nice Charger! If you haven't already, I highly recommend swapping out the front and rear pads for carbon ceramics. They last a lot longer, have more bite, and make a massive reduction in brake dust from the brembos. One of the first things I did to my Challenger when I got it. How's that Wrangler 4xe? I haven't tried one out yet and have honestly been skeptical on an Stellantis hybrid.

@Rockcrawlerdude Pirate4x4 is the wild wild west of off-road forums lol. I spent most of my college years on that site when I was building my XJ. Learned a lot from that forum.

TrailWhale

Reaction score
Dealer told me today that a rear axle bearing went in the PW and it scored up the spindle tube. The whole rear end needs replaced. Under warranty, so no problem, right?

The big deal?

There are ZERO available in the whole country.

Here's a parts nightmare story.
Jan 4th while at Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota truck was hit in parking lot. Driverside rear cab corner and dually fender needs replaced. Body shops can't get the parts for a brand new 3500 dually. It's been 6 months!

At this point I'm considering finding a chop shop to get me the body panels. I'm mostly kidding........mostly. I've had the insurance payout just sitting in the bank. Truck is brand new 2022 3500 DRW limited.

I sadly have to admit I'm embarrassed to even drive it. Not sure what I can even do at this point.

I'm no lawyer but depending on your state, you may be entitled to lemon laws. Might be a PITA but if you can get back into a new working vehicle, it might be worth it?

What rights do you have if you can’t get the parts for your vehicle repair?​

Lemon laws may protect you if your car repair is delayed due to a lack of replacement parts. Lemon laws are different in each state, however, they typically require a dealer/manufacturer to repair a defective or “lemon” vehicle within a certain time period or mileage limit, and allow the dealer/manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to do so. Most lemon laws define what is reasonable by limiting the number of repair attempts and the length of time that the vehicle is out of use or in the service shop. In Pennsylvania, for example, if a new car is in the repair shop for more than 3 repair attempts or 30 cumulative days for a problem found within the first year or 12,000 miles, the law presumes that the dealer/manufacturer has failed to repair it within in a reasonable time.

Users who are viewing this thread