Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram boxes are.....plastic now?

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 2020/3500 has 10,000 miles and lives in the Arizona heat, and has had 0 issues with Ram box, weird that some have issues and others don't.

Samman2020

Reaction score
Maybe they fixed it for the 2020, I’m in Houston so we get some heat here. Been an issue since I got it, I just hope they come out with a fix. It’s been a joke for me

CorvetteZ06Racer

Reaction score
I noticed the other day both of mine are doing it on my 2019. I’m in Houston as well and the truck is black which doesn’t help. Going to make the appointment tomorrow and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samman2020

Reaction score
I noticed the other day both of mine are doing it on my 2019. I’m in Houston as well and the truck is black which doesn’t help. Going to make the appointment tomorrow and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve taken it to 3 different dealers, autonation, Mac haik. Had it done again 2 weeks ago, back to the same issue again now

Mhelvic

Reaction score
I'm in Florida, I have a black, 2020, 2500 with the Ramboxes. Truck sits outside and is not under any type of cover. Back in August the passenger side cover started warping. I watched as the tech replaced it with the new one. From factory there was only about 3 or 4 strips of double sided tape securing the applique. Manager had him almost completely cover the new one with double sided tape and I have not had any issues since.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I was looking at getting the ram box's when I started researching my truck. One I got off the lot didn't have the box's. Kinda bummed, but now think I dodged a bullet. What are gonna be the Long term affects of this? If already falling apart at 1 1/2 old, what will be the issues at 5-8 years when dealer's wash their hands of the problem.

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 2020 to which is a year old today has never had any issues. Knock on wood.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I'm not to concerned of the looks it's a truck used for truck stuff.
My Ram boxes have had no issues at all.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I have no warping or any issues with mine either at this point. I would order these again.

BigWorm

Reaction score
My 2019 ramboxes have had 0 issues through 1 1/2 yrs of ownership. I love them and they are usually the first thing somebody brings up when talking to me about the truck

Viper67

Reaction score
My 2021 Limited doesn’t have this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Anyone having luck with a long term fix here? Took it to the dealer for several recalls and had them fix mine. Truck was ready yesterday and by the time I picked it up today it was worse than when I brought it in.
I am here reading these because I’m having the same problem with my brand new 2021 Rebel. This reminds me of the 1980s when American auto manufacturers put out complete garbage and didn’t care. Dealer had me talk to a rep at corporate who didn’t mention anything about a known problem, just suggested I should take it to another dealership for a second opinion. Apparently his job is to block customers, not help them. This on top of getting a third less gas mileage than they claimed. Makes me wonder if the same lack of quality control that they use on the Rambox when they delivered it to me, they used for the engine.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue, sad thing is my truck has been in twice and apparently been repaired. Each time I have the same issue the plastic shell detaches and hangs of the side. I’m really disappointed as the truck besides this is great.
My brand new 2021 rebel, passenger side is having the same problem and like you, I’ve taken it in twice to be fixed they return it worse. The first time the gap increased from 7 mm to 9 mm. Picked it up yesterday and you have to slam it so hard to get it to close it’s laughable. I picture them trying to close it and laughing and saying let’s returning it and pretend we fixed it. By the time I got home, it had popped open. Service manager said he’ll make some calls… After reading these threads, this problem going on for two years now, I don’t expect a lot.

Samman2020

Reaction score
My brand new 2021 rebel, passenger side is having the same problem and like you, I’ve taken it in twice to be fixed they return it worse. The first time the gap increased from 7 mm to 9 mm. Picked it up yesterday and you have to slam it so hard to get it to close it’s laughable. I picture them trying to close it and laughing and saying let’s returning it and pretend we fixed it. By the time I got home, it had popped open. Service manager said he’ll make some calls… After reading these threads, this problem going on for two years now, I don’t expect a lot.
Mine has been back over and over again, it looks passable when I get it back. Give it 2 weeks and it’s popping off again. The dealers blame the manufacturers and the manufacturers blame the dealers, they seem to think it’s not a major issue. I’m so disappointed

Tim_G

Reaction score
Hey everybody!
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but Im wondering if this issue is resolved on the 2023 models? Im interested in buying a 2500 Rebel and it has the Ramboxes. They also have another one without, so before I pick one I wanted to here from folks whether these things still warp/delaminate. Thanks for any info!

Users who are viewing this thread