Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 2500 brakes

Gacop42

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn and noticed the brake pedal seemed to not be as stiff as my prior 2015 or 2017 1500. I replaced the front pads and the master cylinder. It helped some, but not like my 1500. Dodge said it's fine and it's not going to be stiff or I guess catch as quick as I would like. Has anyone else see this in there 2500?

whitexc

Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the new truck. Unfortunately many of have and have complained about the lackluster brake pedal. My dealer found no issue as well. Just odd being able to push almost all the way to the floor. I still think it could use a good bleeding. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turin

Reaction score
The brake pedal on my brand new 2023 seems soft as well. It's not quite "master cylinder is failing" soft, but it's definitely different than my 1500 was. I'm not sure if I'm relieved or alarmed to hear that it's normal.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn and noticed the brake pedal seemed to not be as stiff as my prior 2015 or 2017 1500. I replaced the front pads and the master cylinder. It helped some, but not like my 1500. Dodge said it's fine and it's not going to be stiff or I guess catch as quick as I would like. Has anyone else see this in there 2500?
Diesel or gas? As they are 2 completely different systems

Gacop42

Reaction score
The brake pedal on my brand new 2023 seems soft as well. It's not quite "master cylinder is failing" soft, but it's definitely different than my 1500 was. I'm not sure if I'm relieved or alarmed to hear that it's normal.
Yeah, I feel the same. Pulling a camper I want to know I’m going to stop. I’ll find out Memorial weekend how well it stops

Mikerob14

Reaction score
Great…. I was really worried after I kept seeing this issue. can’t wait for that 6.7 megacab 3500 to get here now!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I saw something that said the 3500 gas trucks had hydro boost brakes.

I wonder if the hydro boost brakes could be swapped into a 2500, however the computer(s) may not like it.

Riddick

Reaction score
My 2500 CTD has a very soft pedal, over time I have gotten used to it but you have to apply a good amount of pressure to stop the truck. I often travel for work and we always get rental cars while we are travelling. It takes a few miles for me to adjust to different vehicles as others are way more sensitive................. especially Toyotas. A month ago I had a Tacoma as a rental and you would of thought I just got my license if you saw me driving through the parking garage..................extremely sensitive brakes!!!.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I see this "complaint" often from people that come from a 1500 or car. 2 completely different animals so don't expect it to feel the same. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the truck, you are just not used to driving a HD pickup.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I see this "complaint" often from people that come from a 1500 or car. 2 completely different animals so don't expect it to feel the same. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the truck, you are just not used to driving a HD pickup.

I agree. There is almost no difference in pedal feel between my 19 and my 01

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I drive a 2022 ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 cummins and the brakes felt soft when I first bought the truck. I bought it in December of 2022 and I have definitely gotten used to them. I also came from a 2019 1500. I live in North Carolina and I drove to Indiana to pick up my fifth wheel. The fifth wheel weighs about 9500 empty. I had to drive through the blue ridge parkway and I had no problems slowing the vehicle down going down the mountains. The caveat is that the truck has an exhaust brake that works really great.

dieselscout80

Reaction score

This 2020 Ram 2500 is my first Ram, but I have been driving 2500 and 3500 GM trucks for decades and they have been hydro boost brakes.

The GM hydro boost brakes are firmer than my Ram’s brakes. However, I have gotten used to the Ram brakes. Still if they could be improved it would be nice.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score

For whatever it’s worth - my prior vehicle (for towing my trailer) was a Chevy Duramax 2500 and the RAM’s brakes are VERY different. I’m still surprised sometimes at how much I need to lean on them even in non-emergency situations. I’m somewhat used to them - but would prefer if they were more responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread