Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push to Start question on Diesel

sunny2021

Reaction score
Good day folks,
I'm a new owner of 2024 RAM 3500 LARAMIE DUALLY HO Diesel. I'm a bit CONFUSED on the engine startup process. Way different from gas. Ran into two separate startup procedure:

First day: I press down the brake and push the Start button once. Then I let go of the brake pedal. After a few seconds the engine automatically starts.

Second day: I press down the brake and push the Start button once. Then I let go of the brake pedal. Nothing happens for seconds, and then a "Press Brake and Push Button to Start" message shows up. The truck starts after I did exactly that.

My question is? DO I LEAVE THE BRAKE PEDAL PUSHED AFTER I PUSH THE START BUTTON UNTIL THE ENGINE STARTS? And let go only after? Why different results?.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

dslbrnr

Reaction score
As long as you first hold the brake pedal down, push the start button, you can let off the brake pedal and it should start. You also have to consider if the intake pre-heater is activated it will delay the starter a few seconds until heated!
Mines a 2021, not sure if Ram has changed anything in the 2024's

superjoe83

Reaction score
Was the drivers door open on the second start? Sometimes that will Inhibit cranking if you don't keep the brake depressed

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven’t found a good reason for why sometimes it will auto start after the WTS expires and sometimes it won’t.

Truth be told I bypass the WTS 99% of the time anyways. The engine doesn’t need any starting aid above ~10°F and it’s hard on the batteries.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I haven’t found a good reason for why sometimes it will auto start after the WTS expires and sometimes it won’t.

Truth be told I bypass the WTS 99% of the time anyways. The engine doesn’t need any starting aid above ~10°F and it’s hard on the batteries.
My 2020 HO frequently, after sitting for several days. will delay the start giving me the preheat message and outside temps are above 60 degrees. Is this what you call WTS (wait to start)? How do you bypass it?

wrvond

Reaction score
My 2020 HO frequently, after sitting for several days. will delay the start giving me the preheat message and outside temps are above 60 degrees. Is this what you call WTS (wait to start)? How do you bypass it?
Yes, that is Wait To Start (WTS). Bypass it by simply pressing the start button twice (brake pedal depressed, of course).

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, as mentioned just double tap the start button.

The only time my truck does a full grid heater preheat is remote start. I bypass it, or make it shorter, anytime I’m in the seat to start the truck even if it’s -15°F out.

flan

Reaction score
I usually don’t wait for the grids to do their thing, typically it’s a double tap of the ign button and off I go. I have noticed some irregularities when doing as you mentioned, Ive read about it elsewhere since this 4.5gen has come out. No rhyme or reason really.

mountainears

Reaction score
Watch your instrument cluster display. What is likely happening is the grid heater is getting things warmed up and there is a delay to the start. It will show on the display if that is the case. If you keep holding the brake during that process it will start. But if you don’t it will ask you to do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainears

Reaction score
I see two thread with the same question now. Looks like it was well answered in the other one. Maybe a moderator can clean up the threads?

ppine

Reaction score
I notice on cold days, there is a few seconds of pre-heat and the engine starts on its own. On really cold days the pre-heat takes longer, and the engine requires pushing the brake pedal and hitting the start button to ignite.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I see two thread with the same question now. Looks like it was well answered in the other one. Maybe a moderator can clean up the threads?

Done, in future PLEASE report the thread if you see this. Thx

phatboy64

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the “combined” thread but if not feel free to move it..

I wounder if it can be disabled with AlfaODB. On my 2014 I had the turbo replaced under warranty and when I got it back it would never WTS, even when I was up in Canada and the temperature was -20f. The only way I could pre-warm was to keep my foot off the brake….the dealer did something to disable it…

Users who are viewing this thread