Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Product to clean/protect frame/under truck?

Vapor567

Reaction score
Is there a product that cleans the entire under components of the truck? My Ram 2500 spent one winter in CO and Wyoming. I pressure washed it to get most of the grime off but is there a product or a known service that will clean it better. I would also like some sort of product or service to help prevent corrosion. Thank you.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Corrosion in CO has only recently been an issue due to the mag chloride used to melt (prevent freeze).

Just wash the vehicle and underside ASAP after driving on any roads they slimed. That **** will also destroy clear coat on wheels and plastic chrome.

My 2004.5 has only a small amount of surface rust in spots where stone has chipped the frame paint. Nothing a good cleaning and shot of rust converter/rustoleum wouldn't fix up.

The coatings they use in the midwest like ziebart and such to stave off the salt attack (I grew up in GB WI) are pure BS and will just trap moisture and cause more problems than they solve and drain your wallet.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Thank you, I'm in the South East so I've never dealt with this.

Vapor567

Reaction score

g33k247

Reaction score
Thanks, how many cans did it take to cover the main components under the truck?
I bought a whole case, but I only used about 3-4 cans. I was trying to be very thorough -- reaching up into the cavities of the bed, inside the bumpers, etc. Basically any exposed sheet metal and structure under there that I could get to. I tried to keep from getting it on any wiring connections, the exhaust and drive train components.

Omar RVA

Reaction score

Can't speak to the cleaning part (I've always just used a pressure washer and some car soap); but I swear by fluid film. If you're in the South East and not coastal, corrosion inhibitors really shouldn't be necessary (unless it ices enough that your DOT uses salt). That said, I've researched the crap out of this after my 4Runner frame was orange in more places than it was black. I couldn't turn a nut/bolt under there without a day's soak in PB blaster. What I found is more "permanent" coatings are pretty much always a bad choice. They all fail eventually, and when they do end up being far worse for metal components than no coating.

My Tacoma was in VA with me for 4 years before I moved to OR. VA uses every kind of road salt (salt means any chloride) and it does a number on truck frames. Mine looks pretty much like new but for all the dirt. Every year around November, I'd jack up the truck, throw on a tyvek suit and use about 4 cans of fluid film (and a wand attachment like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-S...words=fluid+film+nozzle&qid=1585954147&sr=8-4) to get in every crevice and in the frame rails as much as possible. Come March, I would power wash the underside of the truck and move on. It would cost me around 40 bucks in "stuff" once a year and held up great. For the cost it's one of the better choices you can make ($9 to $10 a can at lowes or Home Depot). Cosmoline (and there's one other that dries waxy that I can't seem to remember) are definitely solid products but at the end of the day, it's still disposable and you're still going to want to coat it annually and they run about twice as expensive.

OA

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, that changes things and the other recommendations given are good.

Fluid film is often used in coastal areas to prevent rust and corrosion and is big in the marine industry. Some folks even use it for guns (especially in Alaska).

Cummins3

Reaction score
Nh oil undercoating. Like fluid film but formulated for this purpose... I love it used it first time this year will be doing it yearly

John Jensen

Reaction score
I didn't know what to use, now I know, thanks to post #4's video. I just received a case of CRC!
When it quits raining I will try it out.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I use a cosmoline spray on product to protect the underside of my truck. I applied it right after I bought it.

Cosmoline RP-342"Heavy" Rust Preventative Spray (Military-Grade) 1-Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRRYF6N/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_xLWHEbVM277TR

I learned about it after watching several YouTube videos. I think this one is the best comparison of different products.
I just bought a case of this and plan on applying once the weather gets nicer out here in Western PA. Thanks for the recommendation! IS there anything i need to cover, or tape up or avoid spraying on the undercarriage? I mean I am not just going to let it rip, but I want to make sure I don't accidentially spray something that should not be sprayed. Thanks!

g33k247

Reaction score
I just bought a case of this and plan on applying once the weather gets nicer out here in Western PA. Thanks for the recommendation! IS there anything i need to cover, or tape up or avoid spraying on the undercarriage? I mean I am not just going to let it rip, but I want to make sure I don't accidentially spray something that should not be sprayed. Thanks!
I tried to keep from getting it on any wiring connections, the exhaust and drive train components.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Nice video. Did you watch it Krown is not tested?

He's saying Krown was test and it didn't perform. Krown is pretty well known to be a crap product that markets incredibly well.

OA

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice video. Did you watch it Krown is not tested?

The first video posted in the thread tested Krown and it's a big fail.

PF did not test Krown, he probably knows better already.

psmura

Reaction score
I used Krown on my new Tacoma for two years. Works pretty good but seems to wash off easier then the FF. Either one beats nothing at all though. Wish I had known about these products sooner being from NY.

Users who are viewing this thread