Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prices going up! example...

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I ordered a limited with indigo frost interior in Feb without ever seeing one in person.
Same here. There were hardly any trucks around, period, let alone one with indigo/frost. It's the only way to get any light color in the interior. It's nice but I would have preferred to have all light color inside. I thought we got smart enough to get away from black interiors in like, the 70's. Guess not. I'm hoping what I ordered maintains good resale value but being a C/C truck with a flatbed will likely be my biggest factor. Some like them, some not. It's the only way to pull a 5th wheel, IMO.

Well before we get any farther off topic, .. carry on.

Azlonka

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with you on the prices of new trucks - they could very well be reduced by incentives as supply chains normalize. Although the longer this continues, the more likely that the old model of huge numbers of cars and trucks sitting on lots waiting for a buyer is the exception and not the morm. But that is an entirely different discussion...
That being said, you are not accounting for the very low production happening right now. There are always going to be large groups of people that only buy used - either by choice or necessity. More used cars and trucks change hands every year than new ones being built. The only way prices of used vehicles gets depressed is if there is more inventory than demand. With less than usual being produced now it would be logical to conclude that the people who eventually buy new if/when huge incentives start up again would be the ones who would be most at risk of experiencing lower resale values.

The one thing not mentioned is the fact most people don’t want to wait to order a new vehicle. They want to be able to go to a dealership pick out a new car, drive to a Starbucks get a latte, and then post it on instagram all in the same day. It’s the same mentality as getting a new cellphone. My kids would drive an hour to pickup a new phone and wait inline for 2 hours rather than have it delivered in 1-2 days to their home. The people ordering vehicles these days are the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

franko

Reaction score
The one thing not mentioned is the fact most people don’t want to wait to order a new vehicle. They want to be able to go to a dealership pick out a new car, drive to a Starbucks get a latte, and then post it on instagram all in the same day. It’s the same mentality as getting a new cellphone. My kids would drive an hour to pickup a new phone and wait inline for 2 hours rather than have it delivered in 1-2 days to their home. The people ordering vehicles these days are the minority.

That's a really good point. There are a ton of people hanging on to their old cars and trucks right now because they dont want to wait. I'll admit, this was the first vehicle I've ever ordered and waited for. Its actually kind of funny - I told my father about the ordering process and the price I got, but the wait was several months long. He then told me the story about the only car he ever ordered - a 69 Camaro right after graduating HS. And get this, it arrived at the dealer 10 days after placing the order. And he was pissed because his buddy ordered a Nova at the same time and it arrived in a week!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that paradigm holds true any longer. People of means seem to like to order online and have it delivered. Tesla is a perfect example. There are many car buying services available though some savvy buyers are figuring out the likes of Vroom and a few others are trying to (perhaps unknowingly) pass off salvaged/flood vehicles that have had salvage titles washed. I think folks that have their back against a wall that need a vehicle NOW are the majority buying off dealer stock.

I factory ordered my 98 Ram through fleet. I bought my new 03 Audi "online" with a contact request and a few phone calls. I bought my new 04.5 Ram via phone through a broker. In that case, I did go look at a few vehicles they brought in to check out, but I just as well could have made them bring it to me. In that case I was in a bit of a time crunch (proving your point LOL), but had I not found a suitable truck, I would have factory ordered one.

With few exceptions, you can DocuSign everything and have a vehicle delivered to your door.

Azlonka

Reaction score
I'm not sure that paradigm holds true any longer. People of means seem to like to order online and have it delivered. Tesla is a perfect example. There are many car buying services available though some savvy buyers are figuring out the likes of Vroom and a few others are trying to (perhaps unknowingly) pass off salvaged/flood vehicles that have had salvage titles washed. I think folks that have their back against a wall that need a vehicle NOW are the majority buying off dealer stock.

I factory ordered my 98 Ram through fleet. I bought my new 03 Audi "online" with a contact request and a few phone calls. I bought my new 04.5 Ram via phone through a broker. In that case, I did go look at a few vehicles they brought in to check out, but I just as well could have made them bring it to me. In that case I was in a bit of a time crunch (proving your point LOL), but had I not found a suitable truck, I would have factory ordered one.

With few exceptions, you can DocuSign everything and have a vehicle delivered to your door.

I don’t disagree with you there are definitely people that would prefer to order. I’ve ordered 4 vehicles (07 F150, 15 Outback, 15 Rubicon, and a 22 2500 CTD) and would never buy another vehicle off the lot again if I have a choice. Getting exactly what I want and not having to even go to a dealership to haggle the price makes the wait worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oneday997

Reaction score
It's bonkers! Even with diesel prices through the roof, prices here (Denver area) have increased about $10K since the end of '21. We bought a 3500 longhorn HO DRW (September) and a 2500 limited (December) last year - both mega cab. Both were out the door around $84K. MSRP on like spec'd trucks are now about $10K higher and I've seen a few dealers here asking $100K for 2500 mega cab limited trims.

Firebird

Reaction score
It's bonkers! Even with diesel prices through the roof, prices here (Denver area) have increased about $10K since the end of '21. We bought a 3500 longhorn HO DRW (September) and a 2500 limited (December) last year - both mega cab. Both were out the door around $84K. MSRP on like spec'd trucks are now about $10K higher and I've seen a few dealers here asking $100K for 2500 mega cab limited trims.
My contractor paid $100K for his 2021 3500 Mega limited last year

Aero_Dave

Reaction score
MY MSRP back when I built / ordered it on 2/9 was $95,775. Just built the same truck online today,
the MSRP is now $100,445! OUCH...

Dave...

sstoner911

Reaction score
Here in Arizona you can't even find HD on the lot...and if it is on the lot it's sold.
Dealers are selling them before they are even off the transport.

The dealerships in Tucson are charging 5K above MSRP and Phoenix Dealerships are 10-15K above MSRP.

Firebird

Reaction score
Here in Arizona you can't even find HD on the lot...and if it is on the lot it's sold.
Dealers are selling them before they are even off the transport.

The dealerships in Tucson are charging 5K above MSRP and Phoenix Dealerships are 10-15K above MSRP.
1 tons are crazy scarce here in the SE too

Eastcoasttattoo

Reaction score
Same in my area in Florida. Originally ordered a 3500 4x4 long bed CC DRW with the ho Aisin and my dealer here wanted 92k out the door with no price protection. I ended up ordering from MD for way less than that but everyone here is charging 20k over msrp and people are paying it. I'm watching tradesman Trims going for over 100k. No thanks

QuattroCS

Reaction score
****, I can't even build my truck anymore, all the options aren't even available anymore

I also noticed that.
my build hyperlink still works i check it about once a week, it has gone considerably up - https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_3...C,LPD,LPL,XXS,MY5,XB9,GFA,CS7,UBD,XFQ,XMF,21Z
Same in my area in Florida. Originally ordered a 3500 4x4 long bed CC DRW with the ho Aisin and my dealer here wanted 92k out the door with no price protection. I ended up ordering from MD for way less than that but everyone here is charging 20k over msrp and people are paying it. I'm watching tradesman Trims going for over 100k. No thanks
Lol that was my issue with the dealer in Gainsville, only MSRP and no price protection. Finding this forum and users was a saver, because i was able to get ordered elsewhere, the wait should be the same and i will make a trip. one of those had i known then what i know now, comes to mind every so often. But the process is now known and i hope to be able to help others in the manner i was.
the markups are happening everywhere, that same dealer had a 1yr old model on the lot with 100k miles that was selling more than the one being ordered due to the "convenience tax" mentioned above that some out there want the instant gratification rather than the financial aspect. When i went back 2 weeks later it was gone.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I told the SO the same thing, doll, this will be the last truck I'l buy - lol
I said the same for my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman HO diesel Aisin CC LB dually. Unless we sell the 5th wheel toyhauler and go to a smaller camper.

Reactions: CFE

Users who are viewing this thread