Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prices going up! example...

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is a window sticker/Monroney from a 2500 Laramie EXACTLY like mine...at the same dealer I got mine from. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/win...81-807384614.1647187481&vin=3C6UR5FJ8NG229072

I picked mine up on Thursday last week. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= 3C6UR5FJ0NG213609

Note that these were from the same 10 vehicle order All of them were identically optioned except color. There were two billet Silver's identical. Mine was apparently the first one that came in on the 10 vehicle order and the MSRP was $1,510 lower.

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is a window sticker/Monroney from a 2500 Laramie EXACTLY like mine...at the same dealer I got mine from. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/win...81-807384614.1647187481&vin=3C6UR5FJ8NG229072

I picked mine up on Thursday last week. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= 3C6UR5FJ0NG213609

Note that these were from the same 10 vehicle order All of them were identically optioned except color. There were two billet Silver's identical. Mine was apparently the first one that came in on the 10 vehicle order and the MSRP was $1,510 lower.
Update 6/11/2022:
After I posted this originally I have been monitoring the price on a Laramie 2500 Hemi 6.4 optioned like mine. My MSRP was 63,600 around the first of March 2022. After I first posted, there was another price increase of around 1700 bucks in May bringing the total to over 66K. I just "built" mine again at the Ram Build site and it came up to 69,100. So, since mine was built in like Feb 2022, the price has increased close to 7K MSRP.

Oh, they still have a few of the one identical to what I bought at like 64,030 and a white one at 63,030 at the Auto Ranch in Ontario Idaho https://www.ontarioautoranchcdjr.com/new-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=new&make=Ram&model=2500, so they are below MSRP on at least one of them. Right after I bought, the gas had already gone up but the interest rates hadn't gone up yet. Now the interest rates have also gone up quite a bit and sales screeched to a halt up in my area. I did notice the no interest deal going from Stellantis/FCA here till July 5th.

So, one of the better deals on a relatively optioned out five passenger 2500 Hemi 6.4 five passenger (console) model with the 4X4 package, Snow Chief, Sport Package with a 3.73 is out there in Idaho.

franko

Reaction score
Yeah, they've been going up pretty regularly. I started looking at new trucks in August of 21. Mostly stuff on lots, but the outrageous markups led me to the ordering process. Once I figured out what I really wanted, the build I did on the ram website in september 21 had my truck at a MSRP of right around 60k. First quotes from dealers in October/November were roughly 61,500. When I finally ordered on 12/1, MSRP was 63,160. Built early January and arrived mid February with a window sticker at 64,060. Today's price on the build site - $69,645.
I've joked with my wife that I should have ordered 2. One for me and another to flip.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Got my trucks window sticker and the base price for the truck increased by $1920.
After posting I went and looked and it does appear that much if not all of the increases are in the base price. They are not changing the package prices as much or any for the core it looks like.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
depending on the trim...a few additional changes...almost $1k difference in my order vs today in non-base options

1655148962268.png

pr3dict

Reaction score
What does everyone think is going to happen to 2022 rams in the following years when people want to sell?

I feel like there will be a ton on the market not selling as the years prior and most likely the following year models will be priced so much better. Leaving a surplus of 22 models to rot or the original owner will need to take a hit and price compared to previous years

BaseBD

Reaction score
@pr3dict Is there any indication that future models will go down in price? This is just the new baseline for when inflation slows back down. The winners here for residual value are the 2021 and early 2022 owners who bought before all of the hikes the last few months. There could be some concern because of missing options in different packages but I would not be overly concerned about that.

UglyViking

Reaction score
What does everyone think is going to happen to 2022 rams in the following years when people want to sell?

I feel like there will be a ton on the market not selling as the years prior and most likely the following year models will be priced so much better. Leaving a surplus of 22 models to rot or the original owner will need to take a hit and price compared to previous years
I don't think I've seen an example of an OEM increasing MSRP then lowering it. They may introduce additional discounts, but I find it highly unlikely they will ever lower prices for MSRP.

All that aside, rumor on the street is that FCA won't redesign the HD trucks until ~2027, so we have got a few more years till there is really a concern about trucks sitting on lots collecting dust, just on the perspective of the fact it's a sellers market right now.

The other concern would be that a serious recession in combination with (believe it or not) even higher fuel prices, causes people to dump their HD trucks for smaller more fuel efficient vehicles (this has happened before a few times). It's very possible that 2022 owners may get hit and left holding the bag, but I find it much more likely that it's the 2023/2024 owners who will be in trouble.

Redfour5

Reaction score
depending on the trim...a few additional changes...almost $1k difference in my order vs today in non-base options

View attachment 39485
It really sucked for those of us who HAD to get the temporary Level C option. There for like three months they had it and no level A option. The only difference I could see was that we did NOT get the power folding mirrors with the electric convex adjustment but there was only a small difference there between A and C in price. But that was one of my check boxes but I just had to eat it and cuss on that one. They do sell an after market one on "Infotainment" at 2800 bucks NOT INSTALLED...
So when I bought my 2021, and said to my wife, "this is the last truck I'll ever have to buy" I was actually telling her the truth?
Me too

franko

Reaction score

I actually think the exact opposite will happen. The longer inflation stays elevated, the longer they will retain higher values. Also the 23s will be that much more expensive. Beyond that, the increases may slow down, but actual decreases would buck the trend of pretty much every major auto producer since Henry Ford decreased prices with the model T. Also, let's not forget that there is a very large demand for HD trucks that is not being met. As supply chain issues ease, more trucks can be built to fill the demand. But there wont be as many used ones around because there were not as many built. There will likely be a sweet spot around 4-5 years from now where the used value will be higher than historical averages because of the lower volume of used HD trucks from 21 and 22.
Of course there could always be a major disruption... say a viable electric HD truck that could tank all used values. Unlikely, but possible.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Unless they somehow find a way to artificially keep the supply down then eventually the business model that has been time tested by the auto manufacturers will see them competing with each other again. We as the consumer are in a terrible spot as most people are not brand loyal they are opportunity shopping. That has created a space where people don't care what car/truck they get as long as they get one. Sooooooooooo Supply low Demand high = higher prices.

Eventually... Supply will go back up and demand will go down for autos outside of their typical demographic. The manufacturers will then give out incentives to try and get more brand equity. This will be even moreso then what we have seen in previous years as the demand is temporarily higher because of the backlog from COVID.

Most people do not realize that a supply chain is designed to work as lean and efficient as possible. COVID really screwed a lot of stuff up because we did such a good job keeping that machine running the way it was supposed to before a giant wrench was shoved in the gears and grinded everything to a halt. The ramp back up has been painful and will continue to be painful until people cannot pay for necessities. Then things will start to back to normal. 0 clue how long that will take though lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's why I think people in the 21- ??? Maybe 24 cars will be hurt when its time to sell them used.

franko

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with you on the prices of new trucks - they could very well be reduced by incentives as supply chains normalize. Although the longer this continues, the more likely that the old model of huge numbers of cars and trucks sitting on lots waiting for a buyer is the exception and not the morm. But that is an entirely different discussion...
That being said, you are not accounting for the very low production happening right now. There are always going to be large groups of people that only buy used - either by choice or necessity. More used cars and trucks change hands every year than new ones being built. The only way prices of used vehicles gets depressed is if there is more inventory than demand. With less than usual being produced now it would be logical to conclude that the people who eventually buy new if/when huge incentives start up again would be the ones who would be most at risk of experiencing lower resale values.

scrambler1000

Reaction score
When I ordered my truck last July the cost was $93,100. I just built the same truck on the ram website and priced out at $101,453.
I don’t see people who buy HD trucks switching to fuel efficient cars. HD truck people buy for reason. I can see SUV people possibly switching.
As for electric trucks I don’t see that happening anytime soon. You just can’t get the mileage range out of electric yet. Most electric car go about 250 to 300 miles per charge. Then you need to charge 4 to 8 hour. I think the increase pricing on new trucks is here to stay and used trucks will sell for a higher price.
Just my 2 cent.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I'm guessing the comments regarding the possibility of '22 owners getting caught holding the bag on value in the future are directed towards guys who gave MSRP and up for their trucks? For those of us that ORDERED new trucks at hefty discounts, I feel like we're in pretty good shape for quite some time. I could have sold mine for a $10k profit the day I drove it off the lot.

As for the mfr's lowering MSRP's, don't hold your breath. A couple of years of minimal price increases in the future is about the best we can expect.

bwf1911

Reaction score
I'm guessing the comments regarding the possibility of '22 owners getting caught holding the bag on value in the future are directed towards guys who gave MSRP and up for their trucks? For those of us that ORDERED new trucks at hefty discounts, I feel like we're in pretty good shape for quite some time. I could have sold mine for a $10k profit the day I drove it off the lot.

As for the mfr's lowering MSRP's, don't hold your breath. A couple of years of minimal price increases in the future is about the best we can expect.
I agree, in addition the lower volume of trucks produced should lead lower supply of used trucks in the future. I ordered a limited with indigo frost interior in Feb without ever seeing one in person. There was only one in the metroplex in the past 6 months on a dealer lot to look at arrived Wednesday last week. I checked it out Thursday, their sale price was 12k over what my MD price was. I took my wife by Friday afternoon to see it. It was already sold and gone.

Users who are viewing this thread