Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

dragon_ram

Reaction score
I actually attempted that on two other 2019s and the two before this one refused to even discount them like this last dealer. I think the fact that dealers are seriously low on inventory = less willingness to eat into their margins. There are very few 2019 HDs left, and the 2020s are still not rolling out of the factories I think.

AMo

Reaction score
Ok, I’ve been looking for a 2500 or 3500 for a few months now and I’ll admit, I haven’t done much haggling outside of asking for the invoice and best price and doing the back forth a few times. So far this is the best that I’ve come across with very little dealer pressure, tell me what you think, is this a decent deal? I’m very willing to respond back to see if they can do any better but want some advice.

2020 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4
(See attachment)
Price $65,888 + TTL
(discount off MSRP 13.13%)

Attachments

• 4D2E8308-0373-4514-86EA-49A72B89A790.jpeg
    4D2E8308-0373-4514-86EA-49A72B89A790.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: @JC

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve been looking for a 2500 or 3500 for a few months now and I’ll admit, I haven’t done much haggling outside of asking for the invoice and best price and doing the back forth a few times. So far this is the best that I’ve come across with very little dealer pressure, tell me what you think, is this a decent deal? I’m very willing to respond back to see if they can do any better but want some advice.

(See attachment)
Price $65,888 + TTL

FWIW, that 2500 mega diesel rambox will have a dismally small payload. Like under 2,000 lbs dismal. If you ever plan to haul a fifth wheel, stick to the 3500.

Tsys100718

Reaction score
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab w/HO diesel ($11,795 option) and DRW

Window Sticker MSRP $61,445
+ $1,295 Dealer installed options
= Total Sticker - $62,740
Negotiated Cash Price before trade - $44,500
-$1,000 USAA rebate

= Cash Price, before trade = $43,500

Lagrange, GA, U.S.A. June 6, 2020

morenar

Reaction score
With the shortage in trucks, has everyone been seeing it harder to get the dealers to discount the 2020 2500's. I have to wait for some things to line up financially till later this year (August\September time frame) to bite the bullet but I doubt I will find a 2020 with the exact setup and 2021 will likely not be discounted as its the new incoming model year.

FmaxTurboSi

Reaction score

(See attachment)
Price $65,888 + TTL

was the 65,888 with or without rebates?

which rebates did you qualify for? just so i can compare apples to apples.

Thanks in advance.

AMo

Reaction score
was the 65,888 with or without rebates?

which rebates did you qualify for? just so i can compare apples to apples.

Thanks in advance.
That was w/o any rebates applied, I walked away from this deal FWIW.

AMo

Reaction score
Decided against the RamBox, truck was really nice but long term revaluation.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Memory and numbers rounded:
77200 msrp on order price
69500 price agreed before rebates(everything other than tax and rebates)
-1750 in rebates
+2450 estimated tax
- accessories thrown in
Right at $71000 out door built with my options and super easy process

Also he gave me $1000 more than expected on my old trade in and found me a rate at 2.5% vs 3% with usaa to finance around $54000. Deal was smooth and easy truck is spotless and was impressed that 50gallon full and def topped off, just hope shes long term reliable. No extra warranty or crap at checkout.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Well, I'm late to the party, just found this forum but I ordered my truck back in September.
My input will likely not help anyone get a good deal, but here it is.
All prices are in CAD as I'm from Alberta.
Attached is the build sheet.
MSRP $102,590
Rebate (free diesel engine) $9,450
Additional discount $10,297
Paid $82,843
Total discount $19,747

Attachments

• f6610a1b-d351-4740-ad4a-602a270a9113.jpeg
    f6610a1b-d351-4740-ad4a-602a270a9113.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 37

John Jensen

Reaction score
Memory and numbers rounded:
77200 msrp on order price
69500 price agreed before rebates(everything other than tax and rebates)
-1750 in rebates
+2450 estimated tax
- accessories thrown in
Right at $71000 out door built with my options and super easy process

Also he gave me $1000 more than expected on my old trade in and found me a rate at 2.5% vs 3% with usaa to finance around $54000. Deal was smooth and easy truck is spotless and was impressed that 50gallon full and def topped off, just hope shes long term reliable. No extra warranty or crap at checkout.
You did good and it's going to make bulls and buck hunting such much easier and a pleasure.

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the difference between negotiating dealer price and how rebates are applied? Is there any suggested strategies when sitting down to work out the final numbers? I ask this because I think I'm going to order a truck rather than buy dealer stock.

My understanding is people have been able to negotiate dealer sale prices 10-12% off MSRP and that is BEFORE rebates. Is this true? When the truck is done, can I then pile on any rebates that are available at the time I take the truck?

If all the above is true, I may time my order to try and capitalize on all the end-of-year rebates that kick off in November/December.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the difference between negotiating dealer price and how rebates are applied? Is there any suggested strategies when sitting down to work out the final numbers? I ask this because I think I'm going to order a truck rather than buy dealer stock.

My understanding is people have been able to negotiate dealer sale prices 10-12% off MSRP and that is BEFORE rebates. Is this true? When the truck is done, can I then pile on any rebates that are available at the time I take the truck?

If all the above is true, I may time my order to try and capitalize on all the end-of-year rebates that kick off in November/December.
Here's what I have learned for an ordered truck:
1 - A good deal is 9%, a great deal is 11% off MSRP. The dealer is risking a loss if he goes above 11%.
2 - The only rebates you are entitled to are rebates in effect at the time of delivery/purchase. You own the factory rebates or incentives, the dealer cannot deny them. So your final price is what was negotiated less any rebates at time of purchase.
3 - The most effective negotiating strategy is be willing to walk if they aren't discounting to your expectation.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Here's what I have learned for an ordered truck:
1 - A good deal is 9%, a great deal is 11% off MSRP. The dealer is risking a loss if he goes above 11%.
2 - The only rebates you are entitled to are rebates in effect at the time of delivery/purchase. You own the factory rebates or incentives, the dealer cannot deny them. So your final price is what was negotiated less any rebates at time of purchase.
3 - The most effective negotiating strategy is be willing to walk if they aren't discounting to your expectation.

This seems like solid info from my experience as well. I got just over 9% off (dealer discount). If you're near Dillon in Idaho, they can probably do better. I think they were around 12% off, but, it wasn't going to work out to that by the time I got there and back.

For me, this was the first truck I ordered, and, honestly, I will probably never buy another truck off of the lot. You always end up paying for options you don't want, or, settling for things missing that you do want. With ordering, you don't have to worry about finding the one or 2 perfect trucks you want and being at the mercy of the dealership that has them. I worked with 5-6 dealers for prices and went with the one I was most comfortable with all around. They all had the exact truck I wanted because they can all put in the order just as easy as the next guy.

Don't get stuck on one dealership, give a few of them a chance to give you a price and value your trade if you are trading. That was the big deal for me. Where I bought, they gave me good value on my trade and a decent discount from MSRP.

John Jensen

Reaction score
This seems like solid info from my experience as well. I got just over 9% off (dealer discount). If you're near Dillon in Idaho, they can probably do better. I think they were around 12% off, but, it wasn't going to work out to that by the time I got there and back.
For me Dillon was 12.4% discount but that required you to take out a loan through them. If you didn't agree to the loan they deducted $2000.00 off their discount. They were the most honest, professional and the best discount of all the web discounter I talked to, Dave Smith was easily the worst as they lied. They quoted the best discount by far, I even put down $500.00 to lock it in. When I asked for it in writing they said they couldn't do what thy quoted and changed it to the worst discount - and that was on a truck they had in stock, not an order. I'll never contact them again.

rymorg

Reaction score
First post, thanks to all of those above who helped me, wanted to try to help out someone else.

7/21/2020 deal:

2020 3500 Longhorn Megacab SRW Cummins SO
MSRP $82.1K
Discounts/Rebates of $11.3K
+ $2K over what any of the 10+ other dealership would for my trade, so I am counting as a discount.
Effectively I paid $68.7K + TTYL or ~16.3% off sticker

Also got their "dealer protection package" which was "mandatory" thrown in. Wasn't doing the deal if I had to pay for that which I basically view as a tax. They were asking almost 2K for it.

While I know some above have got better deals, this one has literally every option I wanted and none that I didn't, including both the interior/exterior color combo so I'm pretty happy with this deal.

Users who are viewing this thread