Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Redfour5

Reaction score
I got 5.9 for 60 from the dealer. Immediately refinanced to 4.69%/60 from my credit union.
I've done the immediate refinance from my Credit Union a couple of times... I bet the finance person at the dealership hates that although now days, 5.9 isn't bad...

Redfour5

Reaction score
I got 2.49% Jan 2022 and 12% below MSRP.
Wow... It must have been a unicorn and a great deal. My dealer locally was still marking them up like 4 to 5K over MSRP. I had to drive 500 miles to get my deal. The gas had already gone up but the interest rates were still low but I KNEW they were going to go up soon. YOU hit that sweet spot just before gas went up, lowest rates and apparently found a dealer or ordered one and scored... I knew I had an OK deal at the time and was OK with that needing it...but I watched and built MY TRUCK all through 2022 after I bought mine (build in 12/2021) and my MSRP was 63,600. During that year, I watched the MSRP on the RAM build site go up to above 72K on a virtually identical truck. The last time I was able to do that was around end of Jan 2023, so, when I look at it like that, I got a great deal but not as good as yours. In my research, the people over the last four years who got the very best deals of all time were some who bought 2019's in like the fall early winter (BEFORE COVID). At that point, the 2019 prices MSRP were quite a bit lower than later for the same trucks, so that's 1. Then they were having a hard time moving them at that point in time and so had really good incentives, so that's 2. Then the interest rates were ALL good back then for long terms so, that's 3. Those people particularly in retrospect scored beyond belief getting really high cost models that would cost probably 90K now days in the 60K's... with good interest rates... It was a short window back then and there are a couple of Youtube videos of people who got those and were showing them off... I'm retired, so have lots of time to waste particularly when shopping for a truck and that was early last year/late 2020. Now, the kicker on "deals" over the last three years was used cars/trade ins. AND that was where I scored. I had a 2015 1500 Outdoorsman with 60K miles after market winch bumper and they offered me 17K for in like late 2019... I said no. In June 2021 now with 70K on it, it quit working on the highway while towing. I got it back in and they couldn't figure out what the problem was and I was waiting and they offered me 29K for it used waiting to be fixed. I said yes, got another 1500 in June 2021. I didn't like how it towed my new travel trailer so I traded that for the 2500 and still got 7K trade in equity so, IF, you had a trade of the right type you could still get deals they were just structured differently.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Wow... It must have been a unicorn and a great deal. My dealer locally was still marking them up like 4 to 5K over MSRP. I had to drive 500 miles to get my deal. The gas had already gone up but the interest rates were still low but I KNEW they were going to go up soon. YOU hit that sweet spot just before gas went up, lowest rates and apparently found a dealer or ordered one and scored... I knew I had an OK deal at the time and was OK with that needing it...but I watched and built MY TRUCK all through 2022 after I bought mine (build in 12/2021) and my MSRP was 63,600. During that year, I watched the MSRP on the RAM build site go up to above 72K on a virtually identical truck. The last time I was able to do that was around end of Jan 2023, so, when I look at it like that, I got a great deal but not as good as yours. In my research, the people over the last four years who got the very best deals of all time were some who bought 2019's in like the fall early winter (BEFORE COVID). At that point, the 2019 prices MSRP were quite a bit lower than later for the same trucks, so that's 1. Then they were having a hard time moving them at that point in time and so had really good incentives, so that's 2. Then the interest rates were ALL good back then for long terms so, that's 3. Those people particularly in retrospect scored beyond belief getting really high cost models that would cost probably 90K now days in the 60K's... with good interest rates... It was a short window back then and there are a couple of Youtube videos of people who got those and were showing them off... I'm retired, so have lots of time to waste particularly when shopping for a truck and that was early last year/late 2020. Now, the kicker on "deals" over the last three years was used cars/trade ins. AND that was where I scored. I had a 2015 1500 Outdoorsman with 60K miles after market winch bumper and they offered me 17K for in like late 2019... I said no. In June 2021 now with 70K on it, it quit working on the highway while towing. I got it back in and they couldn't figure out what the problem was and I was waiting and they offered me 29K for it used waiting to be fixed. I said yes, got another 1500 in June 2021. I didn't like how it towed my new travel trailer so I traded that for the 2500 and still got 7K trade in equity so, IF, you had a trade of the right type you could still get deals they were just structured differently.

the "forum" dealers that are on here, most active are Granger in Iowa and Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA...there used to be one in the NW and some have gone through Koons in the NE....all of these were offering ordered trucks at 4% under invoice or 10-12% off MSRP over the past couple years all while other dealerships were MSRP or over on ordered trucks. The end of 2021 and most of 2022 there simply wasn't any inventory, or the dealers that had them were being stupid about pricing.

Will be interesting to see if those that ordered (I did as well) will order the "next" time...

Redfour5

Reaction score
the "forum" dealers that are on here, most active are Granger in Iowa and Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA...there used to be one in the NW and some have gone through Koons in the NE....all of these were offering ordered trucks at 4% under invoice or 10-12% off MSRP over the past couple years all while other dealerships were MSRP or over on ordered trucks. The end of 2021 and most of 2022 there simply wasn't any inventory, or the dealers that had them were being stupid about pricing.

Will be interesting to see if those that ordered (I did as well) will order the "next" time...
You still had a bit of luck with "ordering" one. It didn't take but about six weeks between 3 1/4% interest rates and 6% and I do know there was a lot of patience involved in the ordering process. I didn't have the patience so scoured Cargurus as I was willing to drive but wasn't going to pay a market "adjustment." The dealer said that Ram was trying to appease mid range dealers due to shortages and that IF a dealer would get 10 identical units (Laramies) at the same time (could choose colors) they would put them up front in manufacture and get them out them. So, the Auto Ranch Oregon/Idaho border did that and I saw them. ONE, was actually 1300 bucks cheaper than the others although identical on the MSRP. He didn't know why, but was selling it as a special all other things equal. I bought it and watched MSRP on the same truck go up almost 10K in a year. He gave me 1K more on trade than the local dealer and 1K off of MSRP. I drove 500 miles for it. He beat Dave Smith and Dillon the bigs in the NW you were referencing I think. Those Laramies were about the lowest in the US (ON THE LOT) for a bit.

I remember it took the dealer like four months to sell those 10 as when the gas hit five bucks a gallon previously 3.50, that was the beginning of the end of the crazy market. Then shortly thereafter when the fed raised rates and consumer rates followed with stricter requirements in like March/April 2022, that further began depressing the market and its been pretty much the same since. It is interesting to see that HD's really haven't been too incentivized compared to 1500's. Heck they are desperate to get rid of 1500's I'm noticing.

AllenC

Reaction score
My deal not nearly as good. Left over 2022 Laramie 2500 Warwick, New York dealer: MSRP $75,745 bought for $71,745. I needed to replace a truck fairly quickly and wanted features this truck had. I could not find 2023's nearby in NY and NJ with options I wanted plus $0.00 discounts. Much better deals for 1500's, but I needed a 2500. Dealer says they can install trailer TPMS - I paid ahead for the upfit and now waiting and hoping they can do it.

WXman

Reaction score
I just wanted to drop a helpful note to all my fellow Ram guys:

DO NOT under *any* circumstances EVER use Ally bank for financing, especially leases! Don't do it. They are as shady as a forest. They play dirty. And you'll never talk to an American when you call for help or to complain. And they'll stick you with late fees every single chance they get. And if you do manage to miraculously get to the point of sending a payoff check to get out of the lease, they'll sit on it so they can hit you with fees again.

Throughout this year I've tried to get out of my lease and into a "buy" on a HD pickup. (Side note: I have leased a half dozen times before, never had one single issue with any other bank.) When the dealers would call Ally for a payoff amount, Ally would tack on $9,000 in fees! They were basically trying to make it impossible for me to get out of the lease early. Never had that happen before with any other bank, ever. So, I decided to wait six more months and try again. So at the beginning of August I found a sweet HD truck at a Ford dealership. The dealer called Ally to get payoff. Ally now had reduced the $9k charge to something much more reasonable so I agreed. Dealer cleaned up the truck I was buying, a day or two went by, wife and I went over and signed all the paperwork. I took the new truck home. Thought the deal was done. The next day the dealership calls. Ally had decided to tack on $1,200 more bucks, even though we were within the original 10-day payoff window Ally originally quoted! Dealer says it's a "smart lease" which means that in the fine print Ally can charge whatever they want since technically my trade-in was their truck. Legally, I get it. But ethically that's WRONG!! So I had to either cancel the deal or fork over another $1,200 bucks. I really just wanted to be done with Ally so I reluctantly forked over the cash. We sign papers again. Dealer sends payoff check to Ally, with UPS tracking. Ally then sits on the payment. Two weeks go by. Ally starts sending me notices that I'm late on my lease payment...on the truck I turned in and had paid off weeks earlier!

So here we are in September and it's still not 100% resolved. I don't know how this is going to end. I may have to lawyer up, and I hate that. But Ally is so shady.

Go check out Ally's BBB reviews. It's a train wreck.

1stindoor

Reaction score
Just took delivery of mine last week. Just shy of $9K under MSRP. I have a "unicorn" aa well. Only found about a dozen nationwide. 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with the 6.4 Hemi. I was trading in a 2018 Laramie Mega Cab with the 6.4. If I wanted diesel I could find them everywhere, same with 1500 crew cabs with the 5.7.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I just wanted to drop a helpful note to all my fellow Ram guys:

DO NOT under *any* circumstances EVER use Ally bank for financing, especially leases! Don't do it. They are as shady as a forest. They play dirty. And you'll never talk to an American when you call for help or to complain. And they'll stick you with late fees every single chance they get. And if you do manage to miraculously get to the point of sending a payoff check to get out of the lease, they'll sit on it so they can hit you with fees again.

Throughout this year I've tried to get out of my lease and into a "buy" on a HD pickup. (Side note: I have leased a half dozen times before, never had one single issue with any other bank.) When the dealers would call Ally for a payoff amount, Ally would tack on $9,000 in fees! They were basically trying to make it impossible for me to get out of the lease early. Never had that happen before with any other bank, ever. So, I decided to wait six more months and try again. So at the beginning of August I found a sweet HD truck at a Ford dealership. The dealer called Ally to get payoff. Ally now had reduced the $9k charge to something much more reasonable so I agreed. Dealer cleaned up the truck I was buying, a day or two went by, wife and I went over and signed all the paperwork. I took the new truck home. Thought the deal was done. The next day the dealership calls. Ally had decided to tack on $1,200 more bucks, even though we were within the original 10-day payoff window Ally originally quoted! Dealer says it's a "smart lease" which means that in the fine print Ally can charge whatever they want since technically my trade-in was their truck. Legally, I get it. But ethically that's WRONG!! So I had to either cancel the deal or fork over another $1,200 bucks. I really just wanted to be done with Ally so I reluctantly forked over the cash. We sign papers again. Dealer sends payoff check to Ally, with UPS tracking. Ally then sits on the payment. Two weeks go by. Ally starts sending me notices that I'm late on my lease payment...on the truck I turned in and had paid off weeks earlier!

So here we are in September and it's still not 100% resolved. I don't know how this is going to end. I may have to lawyer up, and I hate that. But Ally is so shady.

Go check out Ally's BBB reviews. It's a train wreck.
I've been using Ally for Money Market/Savings and its been fine for me with some decent APRs...but have never borrowed money from them - only contributed! But thanks for your words of caution.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Beginning of August I got my nicely optioned leftover 2022 2500 Tradesman Cummins CCSB 4x4 for 11% off MSRP. MSRP was $69,085 I got it for $61,500. If I’m not mistaken you don’t usually get that kind of discount on the Tradesman trucks. At least not that I’ve seen. I had no intention of getting a new truck until I saw that. The Wife and I had planned to wait a couple years but decided to jump on the deal

kevin588127

Reaction score
Beginning of August I got my nicely optioned leftover 2022 2500 Tradesman Cummins CCSB 4x4 for 11% off MSRP. MSRP was $69,085 I got it for $61,500. If I’m not mistaken you don’t usually get that kind of discount on the Tradesman trucks. At least not that I’ve seen. I had no intention of getting a new truck until I saw that. The Wife and I had planned to wait a couple years but decided to jump on the deal
Damn, that has to have about every option and probably a pretty rare build. When I ordered my 22, I was flipping between a moderate optioned BH and a decked out tradesman. I think the tradesman only stickered at 57k, would have been 67ish with the Cummins.

4FishLimit

Reaction score
Newbie here, figured I’d see how my deal stacked up:

Just picked up a 2023 Laramie Crew Cab, Cummins, 4x4 with a few oddball options like front bench seat and dual alternators.

MSRP was just over $83K, negotiated down to $71K before tossing in my $1K Ram.com coupon and TTL.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Damn, that has to have about every option and probably a pretty rare build. When I ordered my 22, I was flipping between a moderate optioned BH and a decked out tradesman. I think the tradesman only stickered at 57k, would have been 67ish with the Cummins.
Normally I’m a Big horn guy myself because I don’t like leather but I like a few of the nicer options. Besides heated seats and steering wheel this one had the things I wanted. Plus a few things I didn’t. Here are the added options.

Diamond black paint
Cold weather group
Snow chief group
5th wheel prep
Chrome appearance (wish it didn’t)
Tradesman level 2
Front and rear rubber mats
Electronic transfer case
Cummins
Tow mirrors
7” gauge cluster
Rear wheel well liners
Unconnected 5 8.4 non nav
Rear park assist
Trailer brake controller

RichM752

Reaction score
To my Big Horn I added the following:
Snow Chief group
50 gallon fuel tank
Rear Wheel well liners
Bed lighting
and floor mats.

Added the following myself:
B&W gooseneck hitch
air bags
rear bed step
front only side steps
and a blanket for my lab.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
If I was able to get 14 percent off MSRP, is that considered decent? Or are prices starting to come down and that's normal?

depends on the model year...if a 2024 that'd be in line with the Mark Dodge/Granger discounts with a rebate added in to go from the 10-11% to 14%...meaning you probably couldn't do much better anywhere else. If it's a 2023 and a mid to high trim level truck, 15-16%+ is possible...

see the discounts on the 2023s at Mark Dodge

1stindoor

Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do with location. I was able to get a good deal on mine in Florida, but a similar Laramie in MD was at MSRP. Same exact truck and build, only difference was mine was black, the other was white. Almost a $9k difference.

hdas

Reaction score
ust picked up a 2023 Laramie Crew Cab, Cummins, 4x4 with a few oddball options like front bench seat and dual alternators.

MSRP was just over $83K, negotiated down to $71K before tossing in my $1K Ram.com coupon and TTL.
Question: Was this a custom order or it was just a on a dealer's lot inventory?

MinimeJer05

Reaction score
Purchased my truck in May — 2022 2500 Cummins Limited trim. MSRP was $90,625 and I took her home for $80,326 (not counting my trade in). Purchased in MN

Users who are viewing this thread