Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Wagon Rock Guards

wyvern

Reaction score
After taking my big gator offroad, it has come to my attention that I need rock guards / mud flaps.

However, as unorthodox as it is to care about fuel economy in an HD truck, I long trip my Power Wagon frequently and I've come to enjoy the 14-15 MPG I get, as it allows me to make it ~450 miles on a single tank, which usually equates to only one fill up on my route.

I've seen a good deal many "eco" options with the sort of "flyswatter" guards and I've wondered how well they actually stop rocks from kicking up and if the impact to fuel economy is as minimal as folks claim.

If anyone here can share their MPG on their Power Wagons with rock guards and has seen minimal impact to fuel economy with bog standard solid rock guards I'm also willing to just pull the trigger before I mess up the nice green paint on the big girl.

flan

Reaction score
I don’t think mudflaps are going to effect mpg much, I’d be amazed if someone can prove otherwise. Afterall, they do sit behind your tires which are blocking the air that’s going to hit 90% of the mudflaps.

wyvern

Reaction score
I don’t think mudflaps are going to effect mpg much, I’d be amazed if someone can prove otherwise. Afterall, they do sit behind your tires which are blocking the air that’s going to hit 90% of the mudflaps.
I take it you haven't noticed much of a decrease with them on your truck? I've definitely seen folks complaining about MPG loss after adding heavy duty mudflaps, hence my concern and my seeking out the more aerodynamic ones.

Grey

Reaction score
I had Mopar mud flaps installed on my 24 PW, about 4 weeks ago. Zero difference in mileage. Greatly reduced the amount of crap being thrown up on the paint. Even if you wanted to make the argument that mud flaps degraded fuel mileage. I'd point out that gas is far less expensive than the paint you paid for. If you drive in conditions were you encounter a lot of gravel, the mud flaps will greatly reduce that gravel from flying up and tearing up the paint, those driving behind you might swear at you a little less as well. How many of us have been so lucky as to follow that guy throwing crap off his tires. Tell me you didn't Mother Blank him.

wyvern

Reaction score
I had Mopar mud flaps installed on my 24 PW, about 4 weeks ago. Zero difference in mileage. Greatly reduced the amount of crap being thrown up on the paint. Even if you wanted to make the argument that mud flaps degraded fuel mileage. I'd point out that gas is far less expensive than the paint you paid for. If you drive in conditions were you encounter a lot of gravel, the mud flaps will greatly reduce that gravel from flying up and tearing up the paint, those driving behind you might swear at you a little less as well. How many of us have been so lucky as to follow that guy throwing crap off his tires. Tell me you didn't Mother Blank him.
Exact kind of info I’m looking for. Thank you.

flan

Reaction score
I take it you haven't noticed much of a decrease with them on your truck? I've definitely seen folks complaining about MPG loss after adding heavy duty mudflaps, hence my concern and my seeking out the more aerodynamic ones.
My truck is not very aerodynamic compared to how it left the factory anyhow, between aftermarket bumpers and a leveling kit I screwed that pooch many years ago.
But no, on other vehicles I have owned and left basically stock I haven’t noticed a hit, and I think just about every vehicle I have owned got mudflaps at some point.

whitexc

Reaction score
giphy.gif

WeatherTechs here.

Sent from me

Grey

Reaction score
One thing you might make note of. If you are going off roading. Id check with some of the guys around here who are pros at it. Depending on the conditions you may need to remove them. Mostly I'm driving thru construction areas as we prep for buildings going up. Pre build can be pretty rough, till the machines work the magic. But no boulders per say for me.

wyvern

Reaction score
Yeah @Rockcrawlindude, I've been debating even putting them on for a bit. I know most serious trails will just rip them off in ten seconds, but there are a ton of gravel roads in my area and hearing the rocks pinging against the body is getting old and stressing me out lol.

unclelala

Reaction score
Id bet I would use more money in toilet paper a day than the mud flaps would eat in fuel.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yeah @Rockcrawlindude, I've been debating even putting them on for a bit. I know most serious trails will just rip them off in ten seconds, but there are a ton of gravel roads in my area and hearing the rocks pinging against the body is getting old and stressing me out lol.
Yep, First time you have to back over anything larger than a grapefruit

flan

Reaction score
Another option is some boomer full length running boards (like I have) the running boards will take the rocks before the paint.

wyvern

Reaction score
Another option is some boomer full length running boards (like I have) the running boards will take the rocks before the paint.
Made another thread about it, but I just scored a basically new set of 75A Power Wagon running boards/rock sliders from Marketplace for $75.

I believe a couple companies make removable flaps.
I searched for some, but came up short. Can link to any or recall the brand? Thanks man.

wyvern

Reaction score
I found these bad boys, but dang they are pricey.

Looks like they come in two parts: there's an upper adjustable bracket and then the flap itself. The flap is actually connected with 4 hex head bolts. Before hitting anything technical you could just grab your hex wrench and pop them off in 5 minutes without having to fiddle with the actual liner mount. Looks like they are also no-drill.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have AEV rear mud flaps, I did not notice any change in fuel economy after installing them but also didn’t pay much attention. These trucks have so many other factors working against them* that the modest increase in wind area is unlikely to make any noticeable impact on fuel efficiency.

*large displacement gas V8 not known for fuel efficiency, large fronal area roughly resembling a brick, low final drive ratio, heavy AT tires, and all other rotating masses are also heavy duty (axles, driveshafts, brakes), 7000-8000lb vehicle weight. Basically, it’s not like we’re taking something optimized for economy and adding something draggy to it, it’s got so much inefficiency that the mudflaps are negligible.

Do be aware some mudflaps are liable to get ripped off when off-roading, especially if they are not flexible.

IMG_6296.jpeg

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I have AEV rear mud flaps, I did not notice any change in fuel economy after installing them but also didn’t pay much attention. These trucks have so many other factors working against them* that the modest increase in wind area is unlikely to make any noticeable impact on fuel efficiency.

*large displacement gas V8 not known for fuel efficiency, large fronal area roughly resembling a brick, low final drive ratio, heavy AT tires, and all other rotating masses are also heavy duty (axles, driveshafts, brakes), 7000-8000lb vehicle weight. Basically, it’s not like we’re taking something optimized for economy and adding something draggy to it, it’s got so much inefficiency that the mudflaps are negligible.

Do be aware some mudflaps are liable to get ripped off when off-roading, especially if they are not flexible.

View attachment 71424
The OEM rubber flaps ripped the plastic trim pieces and most of the plastic rivets off the rear on mine, the tires have grabbed them many time since with no more issue. Stainless bolts, fender washers and nylocks..the fastening points higher to allow more flexibility and OK.
Next time there is a problem I’ll trash them and diamond plate the nose of the ol’ trailer instead, might get off the butt and plate the thing soon anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread