Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible problem after clock spring replacement.

Gray8188

Reaction score
When I was putting a leather steering wheel with audio controls on my 21 2500 tradesman I broke the clock spring removing it. So I bought a new one and replaced it. Everything went smooth and works as it should. But now when I press the push to start button there is a couple of click noises behind the dash right around the start button as it’s starting. Not like a struggling to start battery click. And it does it when I turn it off aswell. Any idea what it could be? Do I have to get the clock spring calibrated or something?

Reaction score
When you push to start, the steering wheel is automatically unlocking. (This is the lock that prevents you from spinning the wheel when the truck is off.)

Gray8188

Reaction score
When you push to start, the steering wheel is automatically unlocking. (This is the lock that prevents you from spinning the wheel when the truck is off.)
Just went out to test it out. Feels like the click is in the gear shifter. I’m wondering if it’s the shift lock. Can replicate the noise by pressing the brake pedal when it’s running in park.

Gray8188

Reaction score
Just don’t know why it’s doing it when I start the truck and when I turn it off. And it’d it’s something to be concerned about.

Reaction score
Noise is happening when It disengages and engages… Most likely It’s an alignment/fitment issue.

Reaction score
The part I circled is the manual overide to shift the truck into neutral. Is the noise there?

Attachments

• D5AEB131-A727-4B43-83E3-9462F9C3C3F6.jpeg
    D5AEB131-A727-4B43-83E3-9462F9C3C3F6.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 6

Gray8188

Reaction score
Almost thinking when we pulled the plastics off I hit it and knocked it out of place or something.

Gray8188

Reaction score
Or the shifter isn’t in park all the way.
Was thinking that but it seems to be. The shifter has always been a little on the loose side with this truck so idk if maybe that’s causing it. I’m taking it on for a few warranty issues soon I’ll have to add this to the list

Users who are viewing this thread