Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload issue on RAM 2500 Laramie Diesel - worth it?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
GAWR. Tire weight rating.

Don't get so hung up on payload. Your use case is the exact reason they make the 2500.

Test drive the leaf sprung 3500 before you decide you want to have your teeth rattled out over every bump just in case you ever want a triple axle super 5er.

The 10,000 GVWR fee capped payload on my truck is 2,155. The real mechanical handling no BS payload on my 2500 diesel is 4,190. 6,000 front axle WR + 6,040 rear axle WR - 7,850 curb. The road cops will be concerned with GAWR and tire weight rating.

Now comes the part where someone says insurance won't cover you for going over the arbitrary 10k GVWR without any linkable evidence that it has ever happened.

Dead on with the axle ratings, i agree. The problem is the coil springs in the 2500. They are soft and with 2000 lbs of weight in the bed via a 5th pin or half a pallet of rocks, the truck sways and dives like the SS minnow. NOT confidence inspiring at all. With that said, my opinion is the 10k GVWR is correct.

We had a 2016 cummins 2500 that pulled a 10,500 lb 5er with 1700lb pin weight. The truck was NOT enjoyable to drive around corners to the point where i felt i needed to install firestone air bags for safety. I did that and it improved some, but still nowhere near as stable as a leaf spring truck.

To be honest, my 1999 2nd gen is more planted on the rode with this 5er than my '16 was.

We just ordered a 2021 Mega dually 3500 HO so im expecting this truck to solve all of my problems (other than the short bed! lol).

Putting a 4190 load in the bed will put the rear axle at how much? Will the truck be riding on the bump stops? DOT regs will be concerned with axles weights and tires at roadside. With an RV, one would have to be obviously overloaded to get pulled over. We have all seen the trucks so overloaded that the front tires are barely usable for steering.

I know that a 11,500 pound toyhauler 5th wheel, with about 2200 of pin weight, was within 300 pounds of the 6000k rating of the 2013 RAM 2500 truck I owned. I had a payload of just under 2500 on that truck.

Exactly! 4200 lbs in my 2016 with coils would be dangerous to drive around the turns, NO DOUBT about it.

I had a 2018 2500 ctd and I tow a 40 ft fifth wheel. I know I was over so I went ahead and traded at 21,000 miles for a 2021 3500 dwr.
Best decision I ever made.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Good to hear.. same decision i made.

Users who are viewing this thread