Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload issue on RAM 2500 Laramie Diesel - worth it?

LoveMT

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. I’m shopping for a new RAM and was planning on getting a 2500. First looked at power wagon then today looked at Laramie diesel. It had everything I wanted but then I noticed the payload is only 1987lbs. That seems way too little. I tow a small-ish trailer that has hitch weight of 755lbs but I have four kids and all together we have 800lbs of passenger alone and kids are only getting bigger. I’d still be within the payload with a decent amount of cargo but I’m worried this is very limiting and I don’t want to rule out buying a bigger trailer at some point. I’m hoping to get some opinions from you more experienced folks on whether this is worth it or if I should look at the 3500. Our trailer is a 22 footer with gross weight of 7,000 pounds so it seems way overkill to get a 3500 and they’re so much more expensive. But the payload of the 2500 seems ridiculously low. Any thoughts?
Thank you!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Go with a 2500 and if you go bigger you will be fine the truck can handle it

QCHunter

Reaction score
You might want to step up to the 3500 if your future TT tongue weight is going to be significantly more. If it’s going to be similar you should be fine.

LoveMT

Reaction score
The base prices and prices of similarly optioned 2500 and 3500s are only like 2k difference. If you get the HO Cummins in the 3500, then that does add a significant amount.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thank you for pointing this out. If the difference isn’t significant I’d feel better having more payload just in case!

LoveMT

Reaction score
You will up grade soon like most of us. Why not buy the right truck the first time. Get a 3500 DRW and no matter what trailer you up grade to, your truck Will handle it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
LOL I loooove the DRW but it won’t fit in my driveway and I can’t really justify the cost! I wish though.

LoveMT

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! All very helpful. I’ll keep looking at all the options. I haven’t found a 2500 with the bench seat and the color I want yet, so either way I gotta keep looking. I’ll expand my search to include the 3500 and see what I find.

ckreef

Reaction score
I optioned out a 2500 and 3500 Laramie with the exact same options. The 3500 was $995 dollars more. I went with the 3500. What's eating up your payload is diesel. That's about 800 lbs of payload more than the Hemi.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What are your towing conditions?

The Hemi will pull that trailer up big hills, but you're going to listen to it running at 5000 RPM doing it.

If you run on mostly flats, don't tow frequently, it's a daily driver, etc. consider the Hemi.

If you're convinced you need a diesel, keep the trim level down in a 2500 or step up to a 3500 SO/68RFE for not much difference. 5th wheel in your future? 3500.

I would also add that some owners are not happy with the towing stability of the coil sprung 2500 without adding aftermarket air springs or other mods. Running a 3500 alleviates the troubleshooting phase of that potential issue.

LoveMT

Reaction score
What are your towing conditions?

The Hemi will pull that trailer up big hills, but you're going to listen to it running at 5000 RPM doing it.

If you run on mostly flats, don't tow frequently, it's a daily driver, etc. consider the Hemi.

If you're convinced you need a diesel, keep the trim level down in a 2500 or step up to a 3500 SO/68RFE for not much difference. 5th wheel in your future? 3500.

I would also add that some owners are not happy with the towing stability of the coil sprung 2500 without adding aftermarket air springs or other mods. Running a 3500 alleviates the troubleshooting phase of that potential issue.
Thanks for the detailed info! I’ve been pricing 3500s and the prices seem pretty comparable. As far as use, we’d use it as a daily driving vehicle without towing in the city for short distances and then towing one or two weekends a month and sometimes during extended road trips. When we travel we do seem to encounter mountain passes and going up and down. I’m more sure we NEED diesel but I’m pretty convinced I should get a 3500 at this point, and so far all the ones I’ve seen are diesel so I might just end up getting diesel by default. I’m having a really hard time finding one at all. I want black and I need the bench seat so I can fit the 6 of us. So far I’ve only found the bench seat in big horn trim with cloth seats. I tried to find Laramie with leather but all the ones I found had the bucket seats. I’ll go check it out in person but at this point it’s been so hard that I think I won’t be picky about the engine. The 3500 payload is pretty good regardless! Thanks again!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed info! I’ve been pricing 3500s and the prices seem pretty comparable. As far as use, we’d use it as a daily driving vehicle without towing in the city for short distances and then towing one or two weekends a month and sometimes during extended road trips. When we travel we do seem to encounter mountain passes and going up and down. I’m more sure we NEED diesel but I’m pretty convinced I should get a 3500 at this point, and so far all the ones I’ve seen are diesel so I might just end up getting diesel by default. I’m having a really hard time finding one at all. I want black and I need the bench seat so I can fit the 6 of us. So far I’ve only found the bench seat in big horn trim with cloth seats. I tried to find Laramie with leather but all the ones I found had the bucket seats. I’ll go check it out in person but at this point it’s been so hard that I think I won’t be picky about the engine. The 3500 payload is pretty good regardless! Thanks again!

The Laramie isn't real leather anyway. MAYBE on just the center seating surfaces, but even that is questionable and suspect that it's bonded "leather."

Only the Limited and Longhorn limited are true leather except for wear points on the lower seat cushions.

Have you gone through options on the build and price site to see what combos are available?

Also, the 19-20 trucks have a CP4 pump so if you've done any research, you should know to steer towards a 21 model with the new CP-ISB21S3 (new CP3). If you have time, build and order the truck you want.

LoveMT

Reaction score
The Laramie isn't real leather anyway. MAYBE on just the center seating surfaces, but even that is questionable and suspect that it's bonded "leather."

Only the Limited and Longhorn limited are true leather except for wear points on the lower seat cushions.

Have you gone through options on the build and price site to see what combos are available?

Also, the 19-20 trucks have a CP4 pump so if you've done any research, you should know to steer towards a 21 model with the new CP-ISB21S3 (new CP3). If you have time, build and order the truck you want.
Thanks again. I didn’t know about the CP4 pump but I’ve been looking at 21 models. The bucket seats are available in the higher trims, it just seems really hard to find. I have time so I think the best thing is to just build and order like you said.

I have one more question for you: does the 3500 even come with the HEMI and if so, is it a good option? Or as long as I’m going for the 3500 I should just go for the diesel? Payload will definitely be enough. I’m just a bit worried about Diesel for daily use very short drives.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I didn’t know about the CP4 pump but I’ve been looking at 21 models. The bucket seats are available in the higher trims, it just seems really hard to find. I have time so I think the best thing is to just build and order like you said.

I have one more question for you: does the 3500 even come with the HEMI and if so, is it a good option? Or as long as I’m going for the 3500 I should just go for the diesel? Payload will definitely be enough. I’m just a bit worried about Diesel for daily use very short drives.

3500 is available Hemi, SO Diesel and HO Diesel.

2500 is Hemi, SO Diesel.

Hemi is ZF 8-speed, SO is 68RFE trans.

The HO has the Aisin trans, bigger xfer case, 12" axle. The others are 11.5" rear.

If you want bench seats, I'd consider optioning out a Bighorn with cloth unless you're set on the Laramie "leather." Of course, the Limited & Longhorn are buckets only unless you worked out a swap with someone which has been done here before.

Users who are viewing this thread