Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload capacity/tow question

lovegolf44

Reaction score
my 2500 serves my towing purposes perfectly. it also gets groceries and is a star road tripper. didn't need a 1 ton, but more than a halfer.
I was originally thinking a 2500 until I started looking at 5th wheel requirements and decided it wasn't going to cut it. The 2500 should be able to tow some decent size TTs through tongue weight vs pin weight differences. There are some light 5th wheels out the 2500 can haul but they're not going to be very long.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
my loads are usually race cars or farm implements. I wouldn't ever personally own any type of travel trailer.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
This article ought to stir the debate a little...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't know if he's a personal friend, but that article is more dense than a neutron star.

That said, I added air lift springs to my 2500 to "level it" and punched over my weight for 16 years. However, there's a few compelling reasons (legality) I bought a 3500 this time around.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I was originally thinking a 2500 until I started looking at 5th wheel requirements and decided it wasn't going to cut it. The 2500 should be able to tow some decent size TTs through tongue weight vs pin weight differences. There are some light 5th wheels out the 2500 can haul but they're not going to be very long.
Did you get the auto leveling system?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I don't know if he's a personal friend, but that article is more dense than a neutron star.

That said, I added air lift springs to my 2500 to "level it" and punched over my weight for 16 years. However, there's a few compelling reasons (legality) I bought a 3500 this time around.
I knew that would stir the pot!! It does seem irresponsible of a guy in that position to give sketchy advice, almost encouraged to throw caution to the wind.

lovegolf44

Reaction score

Interesting take.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Did you get the auto leveling system?
If you're referring to the 2500, no it did not have auto-leveling. I was going to buy one right off the lot and then the 68RFE recall hit and they couldn't sell it to me until the fix was in place. That was a God send because it gave me time to rethink my towing strategy and I ended up telling them I want to order a 3500 instead.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Does the 3500 have the auto air leveling system?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Although I thought it was a waist of money at first, when I found out it only works when enough weight is on the rear axle. But I learned the option also has a lighter leaf spring pack that realy helps in the ride when unloaded. I was warned not to get a SRW 3500 because of the buck board ride, but it has never felt that way to me, then I found out about the lighter spring pack with the auto level air system.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Although I thought it was a waist of money at first, when I found out it only works when enough weight is on the rear axle. But I learned the option also has a lighter leaf spring pack that realy helps in the ride when unloaded. I was warned not to get a SRW 3500 because of the buck board ride, but it has never felt that way to me, then I found out about the lighter spring pack with the auto level air system.

It's the junk factory shocks that make the ride bad, though I thought my 3500 rode pretty darn good stock. I added Thuren coils and King IFP shocks and it rides absolutely fine on the highway no matter how rough.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
That may be so, but if you campare one with and one without the auto level air system, you notice a stiffer ride without it.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm new to the HD scene, upgraded to my 2500 from an Ecodiesel in early march, and I don't get why the 2500s payloads are so low vs the 3500 SRW. I know the suspension pack is different, but beyond that the frame, brakes, axles are all the same correct?

orlando bull

Reaction score
I'm new to the HD scene, upgraded to my 2500 from an Ecodiesel in early march, and I don't get why the 2500s payloads are so low vs the 3500 SRW. I know the suspension pack is different, but beyond that the frame, brakes, axles are all the same correct?
Correct. The 2500's (like most manufacturer's 3/4 ton trucks) are artificially capped at a 10,000 GVWR. No difference in Florida, but, some places have thresholds for insurance and registrations changes for vehicles over 10k, so, manufacturers have historically capped 3/4 tons there and let the 1-tons do the more commercial type work/insurance/registrations. The truck is likely capable of more, but, legally, the sticker says 10k max. It bugs me how these things are done. You're penalized for a diesel sitting over the front axle when in all reality, that has very little impact on the true payload where it's placed in a truck. Everyone will view the numbers differently, that's just my opinion. I am not convinced that a 2500 gasser with 3000# sticker payload is any more safe/stable than a 2500 CTD with 2000# sticker payload when towing a 2200# pin weight fiver for instance. One is definitely overloaded by the book, the other may not be, but, the rear springs see the same exact thing.

Users who are viewing this thread