Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ParkSense Front and Rear Park–Assist System Auto stop?

chas0218

Reaction score
*****This is not the the active park I'm referring to.*****

So I decided to try out the rear park assist. Does anyone else's automatically stop them? My dad has it on his 2019 1500 Big Horn and when we were backing up in a field a piece of grass stopped his truck dead. I stood up a piece of wood in my driveway to see if it would stop me and let me back right over top of it without stopping. I tried to find info on this option and how it works but all I can find is the Active Park info. I looked up my Dad's window sticker and our trucks are identical except for a couple 2500 options. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
My wife's Durango does this, so we turned it off as it wouldn't let us back into the garage to park. I haven't noticed it in my truck, but I also might have turned it off right when we got the truck to avoid the same issue.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
*****This is not the the active park I'm referring to.*****

So I decided to try out the rear park assist. Does anyone else's automatically stop them? My dad has it on his 2019 1500 Big Horn and when we were backing up in a field a piece of grass stopped his truck dead. I stood up a piece of wood in my driveway to see if it would stop me and let me back right over top of it without stopping. I tried to find info on this option and how it works but all I can find is the Park Assist info. I looked up my Dad's window sticker and our trucks are identical except for a couple 2500 options. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You’re referring to rear park sense braking assist. That is a feature on the 5th gen 1500 rams, and can be turned off in the radio settings (while leaving regular rear park assist active). The heavy duty rams do not have this feature.

Dave01

Reaction score
That makes sense, because I know my 2500 doesn't brake on park assist warnings. That would drive me nuts.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The salesmen can turn that parking stuff off on the test drive and it will stay that way.

chas0218

Reaction score
You’re referring to rear park sense braking assist. That is a feature on the 5th gen 1500 rams, and can be turned off in the radio settings (while leaving regular rear park assist active). The heavy duty rams do not have this feature.
Perfect, I honestly didn't want it but wanted to make sure the system was working correctly. My dad was mad that my truck didn't slam the brakes like his does.

jebruns

Reaction score
That makes sense, because I know my 2500 doesn't brake on park assist warnings. That would drive me nuts.
My 22 2500 Ltd Longhorn does. Or at least it brakes heavily if backing into something too quickly. Not sure if it will actually stop you though. If I back in slowly, it does not trigger.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
My 22 2500 Ltd Longhorn does. Or at least it brakes heavily if backing into something too quickly. Not sure if it will actually stop you though. If I back in slowly, it does not trigger.
It’s technologically not possible that your truck has this feature because the ABS module that the HD Ram uses doesn’t have an electronic parking brake (that is what engages on the 1500 in a park sense emergency braking event). Also, the opposite effect happens when you back up to something too quickly in a 1500 that has the feature- the emergency braking feature disables.

Users who are viewing this thread