Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

Tater86

Reaction score
Do you feel lucky? I am going to do it just because I don't have the time or money to fight them, just switched to Schaeffers oil, better oil, meets the spec and the same price.
Not lucky enough to hit the mega millions on Friday, haha. To tell you the truth, I never even paid attention to what was required on the 5.7 in my 1500. I always just put in Valvoline 5W-20, but then again there was never as much talk about the oil for 5.7s as there is with the 6.4.

Where did you find Schaeffer's for the same price as PUP? Amazon has PUP for $8.67/qt and Schaeff's website has it for $13.65/qt. Do local dealers sell it cheaper?

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Not lucky enough to hit the mega millions on Friday, haha. To tell you the truth, I never even paid attention to what was required on the 5.7 in my 1500. I always just put in Valvoline 5W-20, but then again there was never as much talk about the oil for 5.7s as there is with the 6.4.

Where did you find Schaeffer's for the same price as PUP? Amazon has PUP for $8.67/qt and Schaeff's website has it for $13.65/qt. Do local dealers sell it cheaper?
AMSOIL can be had for less than Schaeffers and it still had life left in it after 12k miles, even if you change at 10k miles that's a huge savings over time. Neither one is officially approved by Stellantis to meet the MS standards, they are just designed to meet/exceed it. Another added benefit of AMSOIL is they guarantee the performance of their products with their limited warranty.
People might get hostile, so if you have more questions feel free to shoot me a message. Yes, I'm a dealer but I'm not out to shove it down peoples throats. I'm just sharing my personal experiences with the products.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I've used MB1 for every oc since new, sans one (PUP), with oil analysis performed on every oil change with excellent results. No ticks, no oil consumption, no issues. 30k on the truck. 5k oci. My .02. In fact the analysis indicates that I could extend my oci if I wanted to.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
AMSOIL can be had for less than Schaeffers and it still had life left in it after 12k miles, even if you change at 10k miles that's a huge savings over time. Neither one is officially approved by Stellantis to meet the MS standards, they are just designed to meet/exceed it. Another added benefit of AMSOIL is they guarantee the performance of their products with their limited warranty.
People might get hostile, so if you have more questions feel free to shoot me a message. Yes, I'm a dealer but I'm not out to shove it down peoples throats. I'm just sharing my personal experiences with the products.
Wrong, Schaeffers has been approved for a lot longer than Amsoil has for a Factory approved oil, I can get it for under 100 for 7 qts. Amsoil has its good and bad but I am trying to be nice, I know we have run Schaeffers on the dyno here, I have seen the barrels, but never Amsoil.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Wrong, Schaeffers has been approved for a lot longer than Amsoil has for a Factory approved oil, I can get it for under 100 for 7 qts. Amsoil has its good and bad but I am trying to be nice, I know we have run Schaeffers on the dyno here, I have seen the barrels, but never Amsoil.
All the wording I see says "meets the needs of" not "certified to MS-12633" To me, that means it is NOT approved by Chrysler/Stellantis. These official certifications are a huge cost for companies, especially for such a small volume.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
All the wording I see says "meets the needs of" not "certified to MS-12633" To me, that means it is NOT approved by Chrysler/Stellantis. These official certifications are a huge cost for companies, especially for such a small volume.

Attachments

• 20230112_100734.jpg
    20230112_100734.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 54

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm curious what (aside from licensing costs) is different about the "new" spec vs the old one.

ClawSS

Reaction score
@brv10 and others for reference, the 2022 .pdf owners manual states the recommended "MS-A0921" and also that equivalent 0W-40 can be used if there is a API Donut.
Schaeffer's has the Donut, but talking directly with the Schaeffer's engineers (I made the call), they were not pursuing the MS-A0921 cert. at this time (last year).
1673617906747.png1673619078944.png
oil spec.jpg

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20230113_102747.jpg
    20230113_102747.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 48

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For you guys trying to extend out the intervals what filter have you been happiest with? I haven’t found a filter that doesn’t get tired well before the 8k max recommended interval. The mopar filters I was getting startup tick at around 30% on the oil life indicator, end up doing 5k oil changes. I switched to wix xp and I went to around 10% on the oil life indicator still sub 7k miles before getting occasional tick on startup

406Linetrash

Reaction score
For you guys trying to extend out the intervals what filter have you been happiest with? I haven’t found a filter that doesn’t get tired well before the 8k max recommended interval. The mopar filters I was getting startup tick at around 30% on the oil life indicator, end up doing 5k oil changes. I switched to wix xp and I went to around 10% on the oil life indicator still sub 7k miles before getting occasional tick on startup
What kind of oil? Only asking cause PUP was the only oil I could get to go that long in mine. The amsoil was the worst. Just curious if it’s an oil issue rather than a filter issue

jetrinka

Reaction score
The Hemi seems extremely sensitive to a filters anti drainback valve.

I’ve had best luck with the regular Wix. Had some Mopar filters cause a startup tick right away. Purolator One wasn’t great either.

Wix XP seemed ok for the tick but unless you’re going for extended drain intervals they make no sense as (much like a K&N) they don’t filter very well until they have some contaminates built up in them. IIRC the regular Wix is something like 99% efficient down to 20 microns and the XP is much worse. This of course has no bearing on the ADBV keeping oil in the heads though.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Hemi seems extremely sensitive to a filters anti drainback valve.

I’ve had best luck with the regular Wix. Had some Mopar filters cause a startup tick right away. Purolator One wasn’t great either.

Wix XP seemed ok for the tick but unless you’re going for extended drain intervals they make no sense as (much like a K&N) they don’t filter very well until they have some contaminates built up in them. IIRC the regular Wix is something like 99% efficient down to 20 microns and the XP is much worse. This of course has no bearing on the ADBV keeping oil in the heads though.
I’ve gotta say it’s ridiculous that the Hemi is still using metal can filters when pretty much every other engine, including those made by Stellantis, is using cartridges now.

flan

Reaction score
I’ve gotta say it’s ridiculous that the Hemi is still using metal can filters when pretty much every other engine, including those made by Stellantis, is using cartridges now.
Is it due for replacement after 23? I heard about a inline motor with a spinny thing replacing it. If so I can see not revamping the design when it’s replacement has been in development for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread